ZEITGEIST [ZEITGEIST] The Continuing Adventures of Korrigan & Co.

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Session 79a - Downtime Week Five - Everyone Except Uru

At dusk on the night of the Winter Solstice, two Vekeshi mystics, a gnome and a spryte, visited Leon at dusk and gave him ceremonial robes to wear. They took him to a waiting canoe and set off through the bayou beyond Pine Island. It was unclear whether they crossed into the Dreaming, but soon lights became visible - faerie lights in the mangroves. Ahead, on a tangled island of roots a gathering in celebration of the Winter Solstice was taking place - more muted than the hedonistic gatherings of the Vekeshi and the fey that Leon had taken part in previously. Here he was suprised to see Redcoat the talking bear and Dantes the satyr, who acknowledged him as he passed by and came before the Old Stag, who raised his scarred hands in welcome, and said, "Leon Veilleux, you are to be accorded a singular honour - one rarely afforded to any mortal, let alone to a tiefling of Danor. These you see before you are emmissaries of the Unseen Court who have come to pay their respects and grant you access to fonts of power hidden within the Dreaming which only the nobles of the court are permitted to wield." Dantes and Redcoat represented the River King, a slender dryad had come on behalf of the Birch Queen, and several eladrin had come express their gratitude for the rescue of Isobel Travers. From now on, Leon would be a full member of the Vekeshi, deriving power both from his oath to them, and his pact with the Unseen Court. The rest of the evening passed in musical revels, enhanced by the consumption of fey herbs and powders.

Leon devoted the following week to turning the bureaucracy of Flint against the machinations of Black Star Mining. His earlier investigations bore fruit when a contact informed him that the Danoran navy had not developed submersible technology advanced enough to produce a craft such as the Cachalot. (Leon was trying to work out how closely tied the Obscurati was to the Danoran government.) He spent his remaining time trying to find out how best to expose the fraudulent 'avatars' used by Khaled Valcheck to replace Rumdoom.

Matunaaga withdrew to the riverside dwelling he had constructed for himself and devoted all of his time to study of the Palimpsest, aided by the akashic memory stream he had tentatively revisited (following the trauma he experienced in the Vault when he tried to do so while bound to Ashima-Shimtu). The voices of his ancestors were welcoming as ever - he felt sure that Roshna and Tosin were wrong when they said he had no right to the stone.

Korrigan, having learned about the workings of the Flint Council from Deneric Jayce, devoted himself to study of its members - the mayors of the districts of Flint. It would be extremely important in the weeks to come - both to Korrigan's personal, political ambitions, and the unit's intention to prevent the launch of the mercenary fleet - to understand the workings of this body and how to influence its members.

Having spent several weeks putting the feelers out to find like-minded individuals in the upper echelons of the city, Korrigan used the influence of allies Heward Sechim, Benard of Glenwade and councilman Jayce to invite a select group to a dinner at a private members club in North Shore (access provided by Cezar Stainer, well-intention socialite and uncle to his wife, who nonetheless showed no inclination to join the gathering). The dinner went well. Korrigan used his considerable, and rapidly developing political skills to keep this group of strong-willed, independent-minded individuals from bickering and diagreeing too violently. They agreed that any influence they had collectively should be focused on publically and politically opposing the mercenary fleet. All were complementary towards Korrigan and happy that he had decided to broaden his influence in public life.

Not present at this gathering was Admiral Dawkins. Korrigan had learned from the bullish Admiral Rothcoe that Dawkins was a 'tree-hugger'. He had requested an audience with the admiral, and five days later received an invitation to join him aboard his flagship. (Korrigan recognised some of the crew-members from the time when the unit were trying to track down the fey golem Conquo, which had disappeared from RHC possession and ended up in the hands of the Vekeshi.) Dawkins was an unassuming man whose only idiosyncracy was that he wore leather gloves indoors and at his desk. Over a drink of brandy Dawkins told Korrigan that he felt it unwise for senior military figures to let their personal politics be widely known. (This could be construed as either a demurral or an implicit criticism of Korrigan, but Dawkins demonstrated no malice.) He said that such behaviour was the first step on the road to tyranny (although he acknowledged this was an melodramatic view). Dawkins did, however, comment favourably both on the article Korrigan had penned for the Courier and the paper Leon had released through the Battalion.

Korrigan also returned to talk with Luc Jierre, using the information he had gathered from Nathan. he managed to convince Luc to open up to him a little, however haltingly, and learned two important things over the course of several hours' of interviews: Firstly, Luc was convinced that there was no means by which his lantern could be weaponised, although he was aware of the Obscurati plan to create lighthouse-sized versions, and had never been told what they were for, he adamantly maintained that there was no practical, aggressive use. There were defensive permutations, but nothing more sinister. Following on from this conversation, Korrigan was then able to persuade Luc to demonstrate exactly how the Wayfarer's Lantern worked. (Without the appropriate oils, the Royal Engineers has been unable to delineate its precise function.)

One direct and dramatic result of the aspertions Rumdoom cast against the 'avatars' of Black Star Mining was that a ten-strong group of dwarven heavies showed up outside the meeting house of his Rumschatology group as Hildegaard and Harn were leaving one evening, threatened them, pushed them about and smashed a couple of windows. Rumdoom, when he returned, did not take the bait or behave as the old Rumdoom might have done: he convinced his two friends that this was a good thing - that they were clearly beginning to rattle the unprincipled Valchek; and he began putting together a security detail to be paid for from group funds. At their next meeting, numbers had doubled to sixty, and Rumdoom's growing confidence in the field of runic interpretation added much depth and authenticity to his oratory. The gathered eschatologists were impressed and word began to spread of this new, forceful and positive interpretation of the Heid Eschatol.

Malthusius spent the first few days of the week studying Governor Stanfield's book on deva reincarnation. Stanfield would not let him take the huge tome, but had agreed that Malthusius could come back to the Governor's mansion whenever he liked and access his library. Needless to say, there was some cumbersome bureaucracy involved (of the kind Leon was now wielding against the mercenary fleet), which Malthusius was able to neatly sidestep: he spent several hours with the book on the day he visited with Stanfield and committed the entire work to memory, to retrieve for later contemplation. He learned that there were methods through which a deva could predict the rough location of a reincarnation, making it easier for friendly agents to track down. This would enable the reincarnation to step into the shoes of its predecessor and even recover past memories. Another chapter covered the meditative process through which the memories and skills of lost lives could more easily be accessed.

A few days later, Wolfgang von Recklinghausen returned to tell Malthusius that he had once again been contacted by the Ob: They established that he was interested in joining them, and said they would set up a meeting place later in the week. Malthusius said that he would put Uru on Wolfgang's tail in case the Ob tried anything funny, and advised him not to attend the meeting alone. Only later did Malthusius discover what had happened to Uru...

gideonpepys

Session 79b - What Happened to Uru

As he lay dying on the mountainside, his life force extinguished by the baleful ambience of the Bleak Gate, Uru began to hear whispers and spidery footsteps. At first he thought the voices were far off but it soon became evident that they were very close, but muffled by his own delirium. He could discern urgency of tone but no clear words. Then something happened to ease the pangs his flesh was subject to, he felt the sensation of being 'filled' somehow, and then he was lifted and carried down the mountain.

He only realised he had lost consciousness when he regained it, and found himself on a rough pallet in Tinker Jack's shop, with strange toys leering over him. Tinker was there, along with Little Jack, and the old man's face was very concerned. Uru tried to sit up, but he could not; he tried to speak, but he could not. Only with great effort could he manage to ask for a mirror - he wanted to see what was causing Tinker so much obvious distress.

What he saw distubed even him: his form was blurred, only his bright amber eyes retained any clarity and seemed to peer out of a dark fog in the shape of a deep faen. Small faces and hands, belonging to spirit children, pressed out of his body, as if stretching against black fabric.

With great reluctance, Uru managed to form a second word: "Malthusius".*

Tinker Jack would not leave his shop, but he sent a message to Searil Shortankard who in turn fetched the old deva. Malthusius was horrified at what he found, realising that the spirit children had invested themselves in Uru to prevent him from disintegrating. But following an examination he hoped that he might be able to ease the condition, using a technique he had once known in an earlier incarnation. (Malthusius was once the clergy godmind who had helped the then king of Risur to expel the coven of witches from Cauldron Hill.) He muttered some words, and layed his hands on Uru, and the smeared, blurred form of the deep faen coalesced.

The job was not done, Isaac would need to be consulted for further advice on how to mend the condition, but Uru was for now able to tell Malthusius what had happened. His tale was punctuated by rabid invectives against Tokoloshe, and vows of revenge. He began to prepare a vendetta bullet. Malthusius shook his head sadly: 'Tokoloshe' was not the creature's name, but the word in a long-dead Beran dialect for a diminutive demon. He urged Uru to save his strength, as already the intensity of his words and actions was causing his form to unravel, like soot escaping from a loose muslin bag.

Malthusius considered the problem later, and without any help from Isaac realised that he would need to become more proficient at the virtue's touch orison his earlier incarnation had once known. Several successive 'jolts' might drag Uru back to reality long enough for a remove affliction ritual to be effective. (In his current state it might kill him.)

While he meditated daily using methods described in Governor Stanfield's book, Malthusius was required to return each day to Tinker Jack's shop and ease Uru's condition enough to prevent him from disintegrating entirely.

One day, whilst doing so, he realised how much Tinker Jack missed his long-lost son, and used his abilities as a spirit medium to give Little Jack form and shape for long enough to embrace his father for the first time in forty-odd years.

DM's Notes: Alot of these side-quests pertain to additonal abilities the PCs are spending their stipends on. Their level 10 stipend will grant them an encounter power (or similar); their level 11 stipend will give them another at-will. I decided it would be more interesting for the PCs to have additional powers rather than overload them with items. I'll list the powers and the story elements they relate to later. Malthusius' study into the virtue's touch power is the most obvious example. As for Uru, there are three main consequences of his condition (even when it is 'cured'):

1. It opens up the possibility of him taking the mark of shadow feat. (I restrict mark feats and multiclass feats as story related, and therefore requiring some effort on the part of the player.)
2. Physically, he has been very badly damaged. Conversely, he is now ven more creepy and sinister. This translates as a -2 to CON and a +2 to CHA.
3. He has access to the Fading One alternative rewards and gains the first for free.

He also spent the whole of his level 10 stipend on materials for the Winter Solstice ritual.

*I should explain that Uru's attitude to Malthusius is something like that of a wayward schoolboy towards a strict headmaster (although Malthusius isn't anything like the latter, that's just how Uru sees him). Malthusius' player is very tactical and methodical, while Uru's player is spontaneous and scattershot. So Malthusius has a habit of making tactical suggestions to Uru which Uru likes to ignore (although he will happily take similar suggestions from Korrigan). Also, Uru knew he would probably get it in the neck from Malthusius for dealing with Tokoloshe after everything they had learned in the vault. (In fact, Malthusius was more concerned for Uru's wellbeing and didn't play the 'I told you so' card too forcefully.)

Last edited:

gideonpepys

Trust issues

As for his Bluff skill? The centuries-old politician who is a key component of a massive international conspiracy? Yeah, let's say +31. (Math-wise, that's +11 level, +5 trained, +3 skill focus, +7 for a 24 Charisma, and a +5 magical perk for being an Obscurati cell leader.) And he can add +1d6 with Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes when he really needs to. For his carefully rehearsed lies, assume he can Take 10, which puts you at DC 41.

He certainly has soldiers he can call upon as governor. The writing will be on the wall by that point -- the King himself knows about the Cauldron Hill facility, so the only real question is can the colossus be ready in time. And the answer is no, because they haven't been able to restore its memories. That said, the Ob all assume they can rebuff an attack by the party and hold out for at least a week against a siege, which will give them time to come up with . . . well, it wouldn't be quite fair to call it a contingency plan. More like 'damage control option list. If they have enough time, they'll figure out a way to remove the colossus and just let it roam the Bleak Gate, figuring that's preferable to letting the King of Risur capture it.

Things took an interesting turn this week when, out of the blue, Rumdoom suddenly decided that he did not trust Governor Stanfield. He just blurted it out during the session, in a conversation with Malthusius, and suggested they try to establish once and for all whether he is up to something.

My earlier attempts at misdirection (where were to culminate this week in Stanfield offering up a patsy - too little, too late, it turns out) have therefore failed and me and the Governor need to do something drastic.

@RangerWickett - what do you think to the idea that, while the King and Harkover Lee remain the driving force behind the 'Get Kell' initiative, I make it clear that Stanfield has played a key roll in allowing it to happen, maybe even pushed for it? (Using his influence to free up extra police, clear the decks for the mission, etc.) My idea is that a clever swine like Stanfield would know a liability when he sees one; he would also know that with the golem completed, Kell's usefulness is limited and that not only does he not know very much, but his 'ace in the hole' (the gatecrasher charm) is also a suicide pill! Kell is the biggest scapegoat I could think of, and I'm hopeful this will convince the PCs to trust Stanfield.

Might Stanfield consider giving Kell up at this stage, to misdirect attention from himself?

gideonpepys

Yes, that sounds perfectly reasonable.

Great. When you have what seems like a cool idea, it's hard to be sure you haven't missed anything obvious.

But hm, do I need to work up stats for him now in case the party goes after him?

Thanks, but they won't. There's no evidence (I certainly won't be providing any more), just suspicion on the part of one player. But while we're on the subject, it wouldn't harm to have full stats for Leone Quital. My players are almost certain to throw everything they can at him in the first round or two of combat at the end of Cauldron Born (before Grappa even gets close), and even though I could have some fun statting him up myself, I'd like for the means he uses to defend himself to be roughly in keeping with those he manifests later in the campaign. The truncated stat block used for the golem fight is okay, but it would be great for him to kick ass with his magnetic powers for a couple of rounds before he gets neutralized. Make the players worry that they have bitten of more than they can chew.

Last edited:

gideonpepys

Session 80a - Downtime Week Six

Leon learned two more interesting things during the Winter Solstice festival in the bayou: First, the Old Stag had been able to speak with the incarcerated Tyler Starke and learned from him that Leon was not his first choice of assassin – he had originally hired a marksman from Drakr to kill Rock Rackus, someone who the Old Stag did not know, but whose name Leon immediately recognised: Kvarty Gorbarty. Leon also learned that (for a fee) the court would equip him with a blade that enabled him to dreamstep much more easily, that would literally slice a hole between Lanjyr and the Dreaming.
That night Leon dreamt of Lavanya again, but this time she approached him through the maze. For the first time in seven years, he could see her face clearly. She smiled wryly and said his name a couple of times, as if it was some sort of private joke: “’Leon’? ‘Leon’ is it?”

“I don’t have much time. Soon your status at court will make it impossible for me to find you! How frustrating, having only just done so at long last. But I am glad to know that you survived the island, and hope one day that we can be together again. Just think: If you had not returned to my island sanctuary and brought Conquo away with you, I would never have known you were still alive!

“He is such a good soul. I am very proud of my boy. Whatever lifeforce had charged him was spent when I found him: He stood in an overgrown field at the borders of the Dreaming, where the dragon Tatzel told me I might find him. He must have been there a long time as he was all covered in flowers and moss!

“I miss the Dreaming. Once I wandered freely there, buying memories at the Birch Queen’s Fair. But lately things have changed and I must be cautious.

“Leon, I cannot tell you where to find me, for I am bound not to do so. Nor can I hope that you will find me here, for it would mean peril for us both. Perhaps one day I will be free again, and things will be different? But what I can say is that I think you were right, even though I know that you will not remember what that means…”

Leon woke, suddenly, bereft. That was no dream!

Distracted, he spent the rest of the week looking into Pemberton Industries, and discovered that Benedict Pemberton was solidly supported by the factory owners of Flint, in particular due to the new gearmen he had supplied to keep their businesses running. There would be little chance of turning them against Pemberton or his adventurism.

He also learned that Khaled Valchek of Black Star Mining had hired ice wizards to fake the ‘manifestations’ of his Avatars: the illusionist and stage magician Blander Waryeye had shared a few tricks of the trade with them, though he was more scared of exposing Valchek than he was of Leon…

Matunaaga, squirreled away in his home on the banks of the stray river had become gaunt, fasting in a quest to master the Palimpsest. At last, the second layer of the stone was revealed to him, the words floating up to the surface and into his mind: It told more of the story of how his people had freed themselves from slavery at the hands of the gidim and laid out two distinct paths his ancestors had once mastered to overcome the mind-controlling power of their former masters. Here, surely, was the means by which Matunaaga could achieve his goal of living weaponhood!

Korrigan tried to extract more information from Luc Jierre, but found that the young tiefling really did not know any more than he had already revealed. So the Marshal set about finding out which mayors he could rely on for support in thwarting the mercenary fleet. He learned that he had only one natural and immediate ally in the traditionalist mayor of the Cloudwood, Doyle Idylls. He approached his own representative – Chrystine Robinson of Stray River and established (after analysing her doublespeak with the help of Deneric Jayce) that she would only support a measure which the public were clearly in favour of: her public being the chattering classes of Stray River. This led to a realisation (confirmed by Malthusius – see below) that the public in general did not know much about the gathering fleet, and cared even less. Time to change that, thought Korrigan, and at once drew up a strongly worded article for publication in the Courier. It was at this time that the first of his series of articles on his past and his opinions on current events emerged, and it was generally thought that they had established him as an admirable and popular figure. He would ride this wave with a foray into politics just a few days later!

DM's Notes: Lavanya knew Leon by his real name, General Dax Corbeau, hence her amusement at his assumed one. Lavanya is a character from Leon's background story - an eladrin woman who was living in hiding on Axis Island, creating a huge golem to act as her guardian. She tended Leon's wounds and caused him to doubt the propaganda spread in Danor about eladrin 'witches'. Danoran troops came in pursuit of 'Leon' (General Dax that is) and he escaped, never knowing what had become of Lavanya - assuming, in fact that she had been killed, or taken into slavery in Danor. Only when the unit headed into the Dreaming (in the company of Conquo, her golem) did he learn from the green dragon Tatzel that Lavanya had passed through there.

Unbeknownst to Leon, Lavanya extracted some of his memories, at his request, in the hopes that not knowing would cause the Danorans to stop hunting him.

gideonpepys

Session 80b - Downtime Week Six

Malthusius spent an evening in the Thinking Man, having a drink with Thames Grimsley. He learned that the Dockers were grateful for the work that the fleet provided them, and that they too were unaware of its intentions. In an uncharacteristic move (perhaps encouraged by several sherries), Malthusius spoke loudly and forcefully to a crowd of listeners who at once realised that, while the dockers might benefit from the presence of the fleet in the short-term, they were ideologically opposed to the concentration of military power in private hands. Arguments broke out, and the university students devoted to the Panoply came out strongly in Malthusius’ favour. This gave Malthiusius the idea of checking out the political stance of Oncala Puttnam, mayor of the Central District, but she proved problematic. Her political base was formed not by students, but by conservative bureaucrats; she was also in charge of the expanding underground rail network, a project extensively supported by Pemberton Industries. However, she was loyal to Governor Stanfield, and would follow his lead on most issues.

As it happened, Stanfield sent word that he wanted to speak with Malthusius. Rumdoom had recently grown distrustful of the Governor, and encouraged Malthusius to set a trap for him. So this latest meeting killed three birds with one stone:

One: Stanfield revealed that his investigations into a possible leak pointed to a civil servant named Bryn Tomazi, who had confessed that she had been approached two years ago by one Officer Porter, and encouraged to keep tabs on the Governors most private lines of communication. She had done so in such a way that had Malthusius not brought his suspicions to Stanfield, she might never have been discovered. She had been sent home to her apartment in north central.

Two: Stanfield could not be persuaded to block the fleet without a majority vote from the Council. He was happy to see the fires of industry kept ablaze for the time being, but would bow to public opinion if necessary. (He seemed to think this unlikely, as the matter was foreign, distant and complex.)

Three: By way of fully appraising the Governor of their investigations, Malthusius revealed that the unit had captured Luc Jierre, and that Lya was part of the conspiracy. Stanfield was genuinely shocked, and very concerned. He asked if the king was aware, and when he learned that he was, his shock grew to alarm. What would come of the peace talks? Why was nothing being done?

At this point Malthusius mentioned that the Wayfarer’s Lantern was being held in a secure location: the Rumschatologist Meeting House. (It wasn’t, but a replica soon would be…)

With his remaining time, Malthusius contemplated his memorized copy of Stanfield’s rarefied tome. He also spent time in the library researching ways of exorcising spirits. Two things emerged: firstly, Malthusius could find no means of exorcism that did not involve a physical body; secondly, he stumbled upon a means to access the knowledge and memories of former lives more effectively – knowledge he then applied to Uru whose form began to gradually coalesce.

Uru spent the week being ministered to by Malthusius, steadily growing more solid, though still greatly affected by his ordeal on the mountain. Unable to fashion a vendetta bullet to kill Tokoloshe, he returned to his native roots, and spent his time mixing up efficacious poisons of all sorts. As soon as he was able to drag himself from his bed, he would have his revenge!

Rumdoom came close to mastering a healing rune during his training with Azon. His confidence was at an all-time high when the day of his next group meeting rolled around. But trouble flared as his congregation gathered, with thugs sent along by Black Star Mining to disrupt proceedings. They hectored members as they approached the meeting house, and were especially abusive to those who had previously attended Valchek’s meetings, and who now showed interest in Rumdoom’s.

Rumdoom had prepared a thunderous speech denouncing the avatars of Black Star, but as he waited to deliver it, heard what was going on outside. He went out there and, confronted by the dwarven mob, began to speak. At that point a brick was thrown at one of his supporters, breaking his nose and knocking him to the ground.

Rumdoom quelled his anger, stepped forward and, feeling deep down that this would work, made a flourish in the air that represented the ancient dwarven healing rune. The victim regained consciousness, his nose regained its former shape and he stood, blinking in astonishment. The crowd grew hushed and Rumdoom delivered his speech in the street, with an audience now in the palm of his hand.

gideonpepys

Session 80c - Downtime Week Six

Other events:
Wolfgang von Recklinghausen received notification from his anonymous Obscurati contact that a meeting was planned early next week. The Ob knew that Wolfgang had had contact with the authorities, who did not understand the purity of their motives and might seek to interfere with their recruitment process. For that reason, they would only inform Wolfgang of the location of their meeting on the day. He must ensure he arrived alone!

Some weeks earlier, when Malthusius established from Gale that Isobel and Andrei had arrived safe and well, she mentioned that Isobel would like to meet with them when she had fully recovered. This week, arrangements made ahead of time by messenger wind, Malthusius, Korrigan and Leon were guided into the Cloudwood by one of Gale’s canaries. She and Isobel had chosen one of the few dry days of the rainy season, but the city was still humid. So it was with great relief that the three discovered that the Cloudwood was relatively cool and breezy.

In a clearing deep in the jungle, they found Isobel and Andrei waiting for them on the back of a jungle elephant. They jumped down and Isobel greeted them cordially. Andrei gave a respectful nod and hung back while Isobel set out a blanket, a repast of fruit and water, and spoke with them at length.

She was happy to be free, of course, and thanked them all again. But she was unsure what to make of the many eladrin suitors she had already received. The court was keen to emphasise her duty to the eladrin race (having singularly failed to make this point with Gale). Leon realised that this was why so many eladrin had been present at his induction ceremony, and advised Isobel that she should not make any decisions she was unhappy with. Isobel said she quite liked the idea of marrying an eladrin prince and using her newfound status for good.

Isobel went on to say that she felt entirely recovered from her ordeal, and bore no malice towards Eleanor. She had been kept so strongly sedated that much of her time was dreamlike, and it felt as if she had simply awoke. She went on to say that Hana (as she referred to Gale) was much more angry and bitter, as her imprisonment had been far longer and more brutal.
After a pleasant few hours, they prepared to leave, when Andrei, who had kept his distance, finally approached. Malthusius had already senses a certain agitation, and guessed that Andrei was confused by romantic notions about Isobel. He was beginning to tire of the role of bodyguard and was jealous of her many suitors. Now Andrei was growing restless, and almost absently enquired after Wolfgang (as the unit told him that they knew him back in Nalaam).

Malthusius was honest, and told Andrei that Wolfgang feared him. Andrei shrugged. “Once I bore him malice for a great wrong he did me. Now my mind is altered and I regret the harms I did him in return.” Malthusius offered to speak to Wolfgang on his behalf and Andrei gave a noncommittal shrug.

Back in Flint, the unit learned of a political backlash, led by Parity Lake mayor Rosa Gohins. She had tabled a motion before the council that censured Korrigan for misusing his office and station. She and her supporters argued that senior RHC officers, as servants of the crown, should stay out of politics.

Remove ads