ZEITGEIST [ZEITGEIST] The Continuing Adventures of Korrigan & Co.

hirou

Explorer
Continuing the theme, would you mind sharing a single converted character? Just to see what is Cypher's analogue to early-paragon tier character in your opinion. Particulary relevant to me, because my own campaign stopped at exactly the same moment (and I'll probably show this character conversion to my players).

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Continuing the theme, would you mind sharing a single converted character? Just to see what is Cypher's analogue to early-paragon tier character in your opinion. Particulary relevant to me, because my own campaign stopped at exactly the same moment (and I'll probably show this character conversion to my players).

Certainly, and with pleasure: Attached you will find Rumdoom at Level 12 (4th edition) and Rumdoom at tier 3 (Cypher System). In both cases, rather large liberties were taken to create the character we wanted. The Cypher Sheet is from the Numenera Character Portfolio because it's big enough to fit all the info so we don't have to look it up. We just ignore all the extra pages (and the word 'cyphers' at the top of page 3).

Our experience has been that melee/combat-oriented characters were the easiest to recreate. So Uru, Rumdoom, Matunaaga and Conquo were a cinch (with some tweaks and extra foci). But magic-using characters were tougher. That only applied to Leon (a fey warlock) this time round, but if/when they restore Malthusius' memories with the Arc of Reida, he'll be off-whack too. Leon's player was happy to rebuild from the ground up but he didn't feel very 'Leon-like' in play. So I just added certain iconic abilities, like warlock's curse and misty step and we had a viable character.

For Korrigan - a tactical warlord - we just made up our own focus, "Gives the Orders".

I also gave each player a special XP spend power to reflect something they could do in 4E that had no analogue in the Cypher System. So Rumdoom (a battlerager) can gain 'THP' (might points that can only be spent on wounds, not effort) by spending 1XP; Uru can deal extra damage; Leon can heal and teleport his allies (representing a mutliclass bard feat he set great store by) and Korrigan can grant actions to the others.

Character generation is the most effort, but also very rewarding. I really feel like the old unit is back together. And these characters will be with us for months - years - so its worth it.

Hope that helps!

Attachments

• Rumdoom12.pdf
    12.5 MB · Views: 197
  • Rumdoom Abridged 2.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 138

gideonpepys

Cypher System Characters

Now seems as good a time as any to provide a bit more detail into our characters, partly as a reminder of who they are (or an introduction to anyone who hasn't read the thread for long), and partly as further insight into Cypher System conversion.

Rumdoom is a zealous dwarven battlerager who Will Not Die. I'll start here because he was the first character converted (as an experiment into whether it could be done) and I've already discussed him above. When we first developed him, Rumdoom was a hard-drinking manic-depressive with a deathwish. That deathwish has transformed over time into a semi-religious conviction that he cannot be killed. (Never Says Die is the focus we reskinned.) 'zealous' is a bespoke descriptor that embodies this belief (more-or-less identical to the system's obsessive descriptor with a single tweak). He has the secondary focus of Wears a Sheen of Ice because he had begun to unlock all sorts of cold-based magic and runes towards the end of heroic tier, and it links up nicely with eschatology. Our characters have a racial descriptor too, and usually have an XP spend power and any 'iconic' powers that had no direct analogue - Icy End of the World in Rumdoom's case.

Marshal Baldrey Korrigan is an honorable planeshaped veteran who Commands the Battlefield That's the focus name the player prefers; I like 'Gives the Orders'. The focus is bespoke, granting tactical command benefits. 'Veteran' just sound nicer than 'warrior', the type that forms his basic chassis (and references his Yerasol Veteran theme). Korrigan was a human transformed by urim energy during a schism on Axis Island in the fourth Yerasol war (ie. an earthshock genasi). Over the course of heroic tier, he unlocked other energies as and when he came into contact with them. Since bonding with his son, he has been able to manifest and master them all. So his secondary focus is made up of elemenal powers drawn from a range of foci.

Uru Scaithaig Ciotog is a feral deep faen technologist who deals death from the shadows Feral = 'rugged' (but is played out with predatory glee, evoking his 'sinister' keyword from earlier in the campaign). Deals death = Murders. Uru's type is the destroyer from Gods of the Fall but we called him a technologist because our tastes are slightly less melodramatic. Plus it references his Zeitgeist theme and his secondary focus - Build Robots. Uru has a three-step disadvantage to pleasant social interactions. As does his player.

Leon Veilleux is a disarming Unseen Warlock who Speaks Curses Adept chassis, with added iconic powers. Speaks Curses is a focus from Gods of the Fall. Disarming is a bespoke descriptor that reflects Leon's ability to gain people's trust. His whole life, his whole identity, is based on lies, but he is a very honest person. He's a tiefling too, but 'disarming tiefling' has a silly ring to it. Leon is a martial scientist with links to the Vekeshi Mystics (so he follows the storylines, but doesn't have the theme powers). He's a master of teleportation magic and is just beginning to explore dream magic too. ('Awakens Dreams' is his secondary focus.) Leon was the hardest character to rebuild, and we've rationalised the differences because he has had the most room to develop and change in the three years since the campaign ended, because he was the only character out and about and active.

Xambria Meredith is a plucky archaeologist who resides in a golem named Conquo This really doesn't tell you the half of it. We took an optional dual race from Numenera (the Latimor) and embellished it with a dual focus; When Xambria is in charge she accesses 'Would Rather Be Reading' and when Conquo is in charge he gains all the abilties from 'Abides in Stone'. So we didn't tread on Korrigan's toes (quite literally) we exchanged golem stomp for an ability that lets Conquo crash-land without taking damage. The tug of war between these two has become a very engaging addition to the rebooted campaign. Conquo doesn't like giving up control to Xambria, and she doesn't enjoy taking a backseat either. The type for this character is explorer because it suits both 'inhabitants'.

Gupta Porras is an efficient RHC Ensign who Provides Support Less to say here, because this isn't a conversion. What's interesting is that we started her off at tier one, so she needed to pick a focus that enabled her to pitch in from the get go. Gupta's apparent type is a disguise for her real type - speaker. She has fey charm powers inherited from her elven mother, and a pair of magical gloves that help her to befriend those she meets. Her background connections make her a Docker and she has the esoteric secondary focus of Wonders (which we reskinned as Searches for Answers). Gupta is a contradiction: there is vibrant colour, energy and curiosity beneath the straight-laced, professional surface.

Matunaaga is a humble githzerai glaive who masters fists and firearms Hasn't been finalised yet, so this is speculation, but the player likes the sound of humble (from Gods of the Fall) and will take the foci Is Licensed to Carry and Needs No Weapon. Another easy-peasy conversion, like all melee characters. We're going with the glaive type from Numenera with this one, because they split the combat and movement powers between warrior and explorer in Cypher core, while in Numenera (especially Character Options) the glaive gets them all.

EDIT: Overall, the approach has been to replace a reliance on cyphers (the 'heart' of the system) with more permanent powers and artifacts, replicating D&D more closely.

Last edited:

SanjMerchant

Explorer
Holy hell, I've caught up!

EDIT: Overall, the approach has been to replace a reliance on cyphers (the 'heart' of the system) with more permanent powers and artifacts, replicating D&D more closely.

Interesting. I looked up the system when you mentioned it hear, having not heard of it before (or perhaps just glossing over it when I had); while the free preview document isn't terribly helpful (seeing the stats for an Explorer mean very little if you have no idea what any of these numbers and stuff mean), but the cypher system struck me as very odd, since it seemed to a system built on "My character can't do today what he could do yesterday." Which seems like, rather than being broad and all-genre encompassing like advertised, would limit you to stories about characters who are either messing about with tech/magic they don't understand or have powers over which they have no control.

But I digress.

Back on the subject of the campaign, you might rationalize Pemberton's lack of progress in the three year time skip thusly: pulling his funding and such from Risuri and Flinter (Flintian? Flintish?) government entities was not an ideal move: while it did accomplish the goal of punishing his enemies for not playing ball, it did hurt him, as it meant he lost access to all kinds of lucrative government contracts and other opportunities (which must be plentiful in a nation that is deliberately attempting to industrialize). So, while Leon's been screwing around with causality and the rest of the unit has been in hiding until they get a break in the Obscurati case, Pemberton's been licking his financial wounds and regrouping, arriving in Ber a little ahead of the PC's, as described in the canon continuity.

Of course, the players might never learn this, but it does help to nail down pesky inconsistencies.

(As for why he did something that would hurt him as much as it did his opponent, maybe Pemberton thought the mere threat would be enough, and was surprised when it didn't work. And if he didn't go through with it, gaining the reputation of "noisy but non-threatening" was worse than losing the contacts he could get from the Risuri government.)

gideonpepys

Holy hell, I've caught up!

Congratulations! (I think.) I'm glad the story is considered to be worth reading. Perhaps now you can explain to me what the hell was going on! ;) (Actually, I have a fairly hackneyed get-out clause for all of the Dreaming Blight shenanigans: a combination of ideas that can pretty much be summed up with the time-honored phrase 'it was all a dream'. More of that some other time.)

Interesting. I looked up the system when you mentioned it hear, having not heard of it before (or perhaps just glossing over it when I had); while the free preview document isn't terribly helpful (seeing the stats for an Explorer mean very little if you have no idea what any of these numbers and stuff mean), but the cypher system struck me as very odd, since it seemed to a system built on "My character can't do today what he could do yesterday." Which seems like, rather than being broad and all-genre encompassing like advertised, would limit you to stories about characters who are either messing about with tech/magic they don't understand or have powers over which they have no control.

The Cypher System certainly advertises itself in that fashion, and it could be played that way - a way that suits the original Numenera setting and (to a lesser extent) the gonzo sci-fi of the Strange. But you'll notice as you read the generic rulebook (released as something of an after-thought, methinks) that when they try to encourage you to apply cyphers (the 'core' of the system) to supers, hard sci-fi, modern, or horror, their rationale for each is pretty feeble.

But that doesn't stop the system from being great fun to play and very easy for a DM to run. I just jettisoned the cyphers and dialled up player power (or rather, 'bandwidth' for now) to suit my needs. I haven't had to consult a rulebook at the table since the campaign began, and the combats are 1/2 to 3/4 of the length of 4E and are easier to run without a battlemat.

Back on the subject of the campaign, you might rationalize Pemberton's lack of progress in the three year time skip thusly: pulling his funding and such from Risuri and Flinter (Flintian? Flintish?) government entities was not an ideal move: while it did accomplish the goal of punishing his enemies for not playing ball, it did hurt him, as it meant he lost access to all kinds of lucrative government contracts and other opportunities (which must be plentiful in a nation that is deliberately attempting to industrialize). So, while Leon's been screwing around with causality and the rest of the unit has been in hiding until they get a break in the Obscurati case, Pemberton's been licking his financial wounds and regrouping, arriving in Ber a little ahead of the PC's, as described in the canon continuity.

Of course, the players might never learn this, but it does help to nail down pesky inconsistencies.

(As for why he did something that would hurt him as much as it did his opponent, maybe Pemberton thought the mere threat would be enough, and was surprised when it didn't work. And if he didn't go through with it, gaining the reputation of "noisy but non-threatening" was worse than losing the contacts he could get from the Risuri government.)

Pemberton Industries never pulled out of Risur in anything but a superficial sense. They filed the serial numbers off their acitvities, in order that Pemberton himself could up sticks and leave the country without raising suspicions. And I wanted to provide an in-game reason for the RHC to be suddenly low on funds (so I could stop paying a huge level-appropriate stipend to my paragon tier characters). My rationale was that Pemberton had decided Ber was a better base for his operations, as he was tired of being thwarted by Harkover, the fey and public opinion. His opportunistic alliance with Black Star Mining would (and did) allow him to gain de facto control of them too and control operations in Risur through a smokescreen, much as he intends to do to Ber.

Of course, when Tinker showed up, his ambitions for Ber stepped up a notch, but they are still far from complete. He doesn't have a cadre of golems in every city, as he would like. For now it will have to be Seobriga (and the crown), with a slow and steady conquest of the rest of the nation.

The players will be able to undo his inroads pretty handily if they rescue Tinker with his Godmind Urn. There's a fallback option, too, if they don't rescue Tinker, but do find the urn. If they achieve neither, Seobriga will eventually fall to Beran forces because Pemberton has lost his base of operations and his interest (having been exposed far too early).

Just as you say, though, these rationalisations are only for me - the players won't learn much about them!

I like Flinter for the demonym, with Flintish for the adjectival form. "He's a Flinter who wears Flintish fashion."

Would 'Flintee' be an appropriate term for those who get Flinted?

SanjMerchant

Explorer
Congratulations! (I think.) I'm glad the story is considered to be worth reading. Perhaps now you can explain to me what the hell was going on! ;) (Actually, I have a fairly hackneyed get-out clause for all of the Dreaming Blight shenanigans: a combination of ideas that can pretty much be summed up with the time-honored phrase 'it was all a dream'. More of that some other time.)

I will admit, following that last buffer adventure in the Dreaming made me a little dizzy. But the good thing about a MacGuffin that involves time travel is that you can simultaneously have something be canon and removed from canon at the same time. :D

The Cypher System certainly advertises itself in that fashion, and it could be played that way - a way that suits the original Numenera setting and (to a lesser extent) the gonzo sci-fi of the Strange. But you'll notice as you read the generic rulebook (released as something of an after-thought, methinks) that when they try to encourage you to apply cyphers (the 'core' of the system) to supers, hard sci-fi, modern, or horror, their rationale for each is pretty feeble.

But that doesn't stop the system from being great fun to play and very easy for a DM to run. I just jettisoned the cyphers and dialed up player power (or rather, 'bandwidth' for now) to suit my needs. I haven't had to consult a rulebook at the table since the campaign began, and the combats are 1/2 to 3/4 of the length of 4E and are easier to run without a battlemat.

Well, once you're dealing with a published system modified to suit your table, it's pretty much guaranteed to run better than a published system come scritto. Still, different systems can be easier or harder to customize, so maybe I'll fork over the 20 bucks to see the full thing, though at a casual glance, it seems to clock in on par with, I dunno, Fantasy AGE and a small-but-appreciable amount easier than D&D 5E on the modability scale. Though I find the guidelines for creating custom monster/NPC statblocks in 5E frustrating, there's enough content out there that you can probably find something that's close enough that you just need that you only need to add or remove one or two traits.

But we should probably switch over to PM or a new thread or something, since this is definitely wandering off-topic.

gideonpepys

I will admit, following that last buffer adventure in the Dreaming made me a little dizzy.

Me too! I was making it up as I went along by that stage. But it suits my purposes nicely that the whole thing kind of faded out, that it ended in Baba Yaga's Hut and that the players by now only dimly remember it.

But the good thing about a MacGuffin that involves time travel is that you can simultaneously have something be canon and removed from canon at the same time.

It also works out nicely now that I know that one of the arch-villains ends up wrapped around the plane of time. (But once again, more about this later when I've had a chance to think it through.)

Well, once you're dealing with a published system modified to suit your table, it's pretty much guaranteed to run better than a published system come scritto. Still, different systems can be easier or harder to customize, so maybe I'll fork over the 20 bucks to see the full thing, though at a casual glance, it seems to clock in on par with, I dunno, Fantasy AGE and a small-but-appreciable amount easier than D&D 5E on the modability scale. Though I find the guidelines for creating custom monster/NPC statblocks in 5E frustrating, there's enough content out there that you can probably find something that's close enough that you just need that you only need to add or remove one or two traits.

Cypher is easier to customize than most systems. In theory you don't need a stat block for any monster. I've been running a Cypher System Ptolus campaign for the kids in the school where I teach, and just assigning levels to creatures on the fly.

But we should probably switch over to PM or a new thread or something, since this is definitely wandering off-topic.

I quite agree. Normal service will resume presently. (I still haven't posted last week's journal entries.)

gideonpepys

Session 5 (128) - PART ONE: An Audience with the Bruse

Following the adulthood challenge, the party was held in an chamber near the entrance hall in the fort while the crowds returned to Nimba and Bruse Shantus’ court was established upstairs. Glaucia arrived, bringing with her Melissa Amerie. She told the unit bluntly that Conquo would not be permitted to appear before the Bruse, no matter what the Minister for Advancement’s decision had been. Conquo shrugged and said, “Hold on a moment” and was still for a while.

Meantime, Korrigan told the others he intended to pursue diplomacy. This might have gone without saying, but he was pointedly addressing Uru and Rumdoom, who might otherwise have been tempted to chip in and/or pursue different options. Korrigan would try to persuade the Bruse of the international threat posed by the Obscurati and encourage him not to hand Tinker over to them.

Towards the end of their conversation, Xambria Meredith peeled herself out of Conquo like a colourful butterfly from a huge, metal cocoon. She now stood before the others, dressed very much as they remembered her in life: practical clothing; fiery red hair tied back; spectacles perched on her nose. Only if you looked closely could you see that the edges of this projection was slightly frayed. Glaucia nodded her approval. This was no undead spirit, and no rule prevented Xambria’s reception in this form.

At length they were conducted upstairs and into the Bruse’s audience chamber. They passed a busy antechamber filled with chatting courtiers who were already tucking in to a late evening buffet. Double doors were closed to prevent the sociable hubbub from disturbing their audience.

Bruse Shantus, a huge, white minotaur, sat on a throne, flanked by guards and by his two principal ministers – Grand Vizier Zarkava Ssa’litt and Minister for Dragon Affairs Kenna Vigilante. Also present, seeming relaxed and confident, were Lya Jierre, and her bodyguards, and two other members of her party: a servant and a ritual mage. While the Bruse greeted his guests, a side-door opened and in padded a gnoll, humbly dressed in a short, hessian smock tied with a rope. The Bruse introduced Pardo, Minister for rebellion. Glaucia snarled and bristled at Pardo, and the Bruse asked if she was all right, then chortled when he remembered how the two knew each other. Pardo sniggered too.

The Bruse made a lot of small talk about the life of an RHC officer before revealing a great deal of knowledge about their exploits on the Avery Coast Rail Line. He told them that he had ‘the best spies’ and went on to crow that Ber was the highest bidder for the secret documents purloined from Danor by RHC operative Cardiff Hengehill. (Zarkava couldn't help but shake her head at this indiscretion, while even Lya Jierre raised her eyebrows.) After this rambling foreplay, Bruse Shantus finally asked them why they had come.

Korrigan went along with this charade, despite the fact that their petition was public knowledge by now. He was at pains to stress the importance of their opposition to the international conspiracy that also sought to claim Oddcog. To his surprise, Glaucia joined in and emphasised the aggression she had witnessed from the Danoran side, and the harm they had inflicted or risked upon the citizen of Ber. Despite orders to the contrary, Uru chipped in with a bizarre parable that no one could understand. The Bruse ignored him.

After they pleaded their case the Bruse began playing both sides off against each other, explaining that Lya Jierre had already offered a state of the art Danoran warship and trained engineers. He left the floor open for a counter-offer, but was met by stony silence. Kenna Vigilante frowned. Perhaps the newcomers had missed the hint? When no counter-offer was forthcoming, the Bruse shrugged and said that such things were of secondary importance: he told them of a new shipyard in Seobriga, and of with many, new metal ships defending their key ports. “Our Minister for Advancement is the best. He builds the best ships.” He also showed off about the delivery of mechanical soldiers that would be made in a few weeks’ time.

So the Bruse had something more interesting in mind to settle this issue: He introduced Vizier Ssa’Litt and Minister Vigilante. “They will be helping me to decide which team will be granted access to Tinker. The head, heart and purse-strings of our nation…” Another game was evidently in the offing. With childish enthusiasm, the Bruse went on to outline the two challenges he had set for them, and the rules governing their conduct. The contest would start at dawn the following day, until when they must remain on the grounds (with a cottage reserved for each group); no attempt to contact Tinker Oddcog would be tolerated; direct acts of violence were against the rules. The Bruse gleefully intimated that cheating was encouraged, and that his vote would go to the most entertaining team. The first challenge was to aid in the construction of the Cantabrilla Railroad, with Lya’s group aiding Griento Construction (Damata Griento, indebted to Rumdoom?) and the unit helping Liss Railways. The first team to reach (or surpass) 18 miles would win. The second challenge was a diplomatic one: Cavallo de Guerra, an orcish Sea Lord, had long been a rival and thorn in Bruse Shantus’ side. Lya’s task was to persuade him to attack the Risuri fort of Manhill (and thereby discredit him); the unit was to encourage him to pledge fealty to the Bruse and offer to contribute his fair share towards a second railway that was intended to link his territory with Seobriga.

The latter details were hastily imparted as the Bruse was growing restless. Challenge set, he stood and announced that he would now depart for an evening of star-gazing with a telescope Lya bought him as a gift. The doors to the busy antechamber were thrown open. Any guests or courtiers who wished to stay were welcome to mingle and eat and drink. Many chose to accompany their ruler, including Khaled Valchek, who bore the telescope. He pointedly ignored Rumdoom’s intense gaze as he crossed the room from the buffet and departed.

A harpsichord began to play and the Bruse’s guests began to mingle. Pardo stood around impassively, but no one talked to him. (Korrigan got the impression that it would be a faux pas to do so.) After claiming a spot in the middle of the room, he left by a side door, using a handkerchief on the doorknob. (Uru, attuned to the Bleak Gate, noticed that his spirit seemed to stretch out strangely behind him.) Glaucia stared after Pardo, then announced that she was leaving too, to spend the evening with the petitioners in Nimba.

‘Don Zaputo’ approached Gupta and loudly commended their performance in the Adulthood Challenge. He then whispered (with slight chagrin) that he did not know about this Tinker Oddcog business, but he knew all about Black Star Mining and its growing influence in Ber. He planned to return to the docks of Seobriga and try to discover more. One bit of information he had been able to discover about the gnome: everywhere Tinker went he carried a small, metal object, which he cradled, crooned over and coveted. (“The Godmind Urn,” nodded Melissa Amerie, later when this matter was discussed: She confessed that she had been saving the odd titbit of information to trade in case Korrigan thought better of their arrangement. Now she hoped they would allow her to accompany them to the castle of the Sea Chiefs. Her father had been a sea captain and she knew a thing or two about orcish buccaneers. She also thought it would be useful to let the people of Ber know about their exploits, and try to influence the Bruse through public opinion.) Gupta thanked the Don and then 'flirtatiously' asked if there was a quiet place they could meet later that evening. Zaputo understood her intent and told her to meet him in his room at the tavern in Nimba. He then departed with a flamboyant flourish.

Rush came over to trash talk the unit. He 'apologised' to Gupta. "Sorry about that knock on the head, love. In his defence, my man would have tried to kill you, but he didn't know you were a combatant." He went on to make unpleasant comments about Rumdoom's weight. Merton tried to discourage him and eventually Lya ordered him to stop. (She was talking with Kenna Vigilante at this point. Kenna had a very large plate of food.)

Leon made a point of speaking to both Zarkava and Kenna. From Zarkava he learned that she was embarrassed by the Bruse’s games and would vote for whoever did the best by Ber. She was keen to avoid damage to expensive infrastructure. Leon also warned Zarkava not to trust Lya Jierre. Zarkava nodded as if that went without saying. When Leon approached Kenna, Lya took it as her cue to leave. She gave Leon a curt nod and called for Rush, Merton, Ulrich and Inez to accompany her. (Uru’s parting gift was to call out to her in her brother’s plaintive voice, a malicious trick that Lya ignored.) Kenna was more enthusiastic about the game and keen to secure a rival offer from the Risuri faction. Leon persuaded her that long-term investment would be better for the nation’s coffers than one-off gifts, however lavish. Kenna, who grazed continually while he spoke, liked the cut of his jib and, recognising his contribution to the field of martial science, invited him for a pre-dawn jog where she could show him a technique she had been developing. She also shared some gossip about Cavallo de Guerra and his long-standing rivalry with Bruse Shantus. It would be useful for all concerned if he could be brought to heel. She happened to mention a strange disease that afflicted the poor folk of Citado Cavallo – a disease that carried a social stigma as well as disfiguring the victim and rendering them lame. Rumour had it that Cavallo de Guerra’s own grandson had contracted the condition at that the sea lord was at pains to hide the fact. Could this be used as leverage? she pondered aloud.

Zarkava also sought out Rumdoom, recognising the eschatological runes on his armor, and hoping for a deep philosophical exchange on the nature of rulership. It was evident she was not best pleased with the Bruse. Rumdoom in turn tried to mine her for information about Khaled Valchek, whose role she was also critical of, but was frustrated in his attempt to find out where he slept (as was Zarkava when Rumdoom’s approach to philosophy turned out to be unexpectedly narrow). Xambria approached and thanked Rumdoom for helping her to avoid the Adulthood Challenge. She then went on to ask Zarkava about Tinker’s role, learning that he worked closely with Valchek to provide the nation with the very best in steam and clockwork technology.

Heavy with canapés, and weary from their long, long day, the unit headed for their cottage. Gupta went down into Nimba, directed their retinue to the cottage, and spoke briefly with Glaucia (who she found reordering the queue of petitioners to favour the most deserving), before tracking down Don Zaputo. He was altogether more serious in private. She asked him if he knew the Coldfire Code, which he did, and had him send a simple response to Stover Delft: “Campion wounded but safe. Joined Unit A. On target. Lya Jierre in contest for target. Prepare Manhill for possible attack.”

Last edited:

gideonpepys

Session 5 (128) - PART TWO: Long Stover Due

It was a beautiful evening (spoiled only by the distant strains of the Mariachi Band Uru had hired to pester Lya’s group. They didn’t last long – instruments forever silenced by paired immovable rods.)

Back at the cottage, hasty plans were being laid: It was agreed that the unit would seek to take the high ground in the railroad challenge and avoid destruction where possible, although Rumdoom would seek to reacquaint himself with Damata Griento (who they had confirmed was indeed in charge of the rival rail company) and see if he could persuade him to slow things down. Korrigan and Gupta would travel with Melissa Amerie to Citado Cavallo and seek to warn the orcish warlord that he was being manipulated by Lya. They would also investigate the epidemic spreading through his territory and see if they could get him on side before trying to persuade him to bend his knee to the Bruse.

Their plans altered a while later when Korrigan received a terse sending from Stover Delft: “State date, time and circle location where we can meet.” After conferring with his team, a change of plan was decided on, which involved the whole unit porting to Flint RHC HQ at dawn, after sending the rest of the group to Renza. Leon would then work to get everyone where they needed to be next.

Rumdoom, who hadn’t been paying much attention, said he hoped that none of this would involve teleporting. He explained his theory that when you teleport, you are disintegrated and an exact replica of you that only thinks that it’s you is created at the other end. In effect, your life is ended. A heated debate ensued. Hadn’t he teleported before? Wasn’t he immortal? Etc, etc. Leon demonstrated his contempt for this idea by repeatedly bampfing around the room a foot or two at a time.

With their plans finalised, they began to drift to bed. After Rumdoom had retired, Hildegaard came to Korrigan and explained that lately it was unusual for her husband to rise before midday unless roused. She clearly felt uncomfortable with what she was about to suggest, as it seemed disloyal on the face of it, but she justified it by saying that Rumdoom’s health and recovery (recovery from what she did not explain) would be greatly aided by his involvement with the unit. If he was left behind, even through his own stubbornness, he would regret it. Her idea was to give him a little bit more of his customary night-time tonic and make sure he was fast asleep when he teleported at dawn. Geography was not his strong point and if they loaded him into the carriage, they could tell him he had travelled to Renza by road.

Elsewhere, Gupta was fending off the advances of Bian Insac. The bespectacled philospher came to her room and seemed to be under the impression that there was an ‘ romantic understanding’ between them. He had convinced himself that their feelings were mutual. When Gupta politely disabused him of this notion he became upset and loudly bemoaned all the risks he had taken in demonstrating his worth to her. When this did not have the desired effect, he claimed to have a long-standing agreement with her father that they would marry when she came of age. Incensed, Gupta raised her voice and sharpened her tone, causing Bian to slump, tearful, onto her bed. To buy herself some time, she softened her tone and asked him to go and get them both a cup of tea. Bian acquiesced and departed. Gupta sighed and slumped on the bed herself. She wondered if male RHC officers had to put up with this sort of thing. She waited rather a long time for Bian to return, and was beginning to hope he would not, when a rather heavier knock roused her from a half-drowse. It was Roderigo, stooping in the low doorway. He told her that Bian was very upset and that he would take him to stay in Nimba for the night. This wasn’t the first time he had become overwrought like this; he was highly strung and of a romantic disposition. They would go back to Seobriga the following day, and with that he bid Gupta farewell: “Goodbye little lady,” he said. “You are very brave.”

Uru was out on a mission for Rumdoom. In the guise of a messenger boy he found out where Khaled Valchek’s bed chamber was and clambered up the walls of the fort to peer in through his window. It was by now in the wee hours of the morning and the Minister for Advancement had returned from stargazing. He was sat, very still, on the edge of his bed with an untouched meal in front of him. Uru slipped through the Bleak Gate into the shadows under his bed, then he filled the room with darkness, pinned Valchek down with a web and pressed a blade against his throat. But Valchek had cried out in alarm before he did so, and noises could be heard in the hallway outside. Uru had just enough time to demand that Valchek tell him what he had learned about the Stone of Not.

“I don’t care about such nonsense anymore!” cried the dwarf, as hobgoblin guards burst down the door. “I am content to serve the Bruse! Please leave me be!”

Uru escaped before his magical darkness dissipated.

Leon rose early and joined Kenna Vigilante and her bodyguards on their run through the grounds. Kenna demonstrated her sprint technique, and a surprising turn of speed and agility for one so keen on canapés. She wished Leon well in the competition, and he confirmed his commitment to secure a lucrative trade deal with Risur.

He returned to the cottage in time to find the dwarves preparing for departure. Thurgid (the young manservant otherwise known as ‘Lemon’) bore Khoomrung on his back, while Hildegaard carried their luggage. Rumdoom was installed in Khoomrung’s wheelchair, with a tweed jacket draped over his shoulders. He was still sound asleep, drooling on his night clothes. Kithilrak was ready to push the chair through the portal. The others were ready too. Leon inscribed a teleportation circle and opened a portal to Rezna. The dwarves went through, but Rumdoom remained behind in middair as the wheelchair passed through, and fell onto the stone floor of the cottage. The portal could not be sustained, and it closed. A quick search revealed a gold coin stitched into the lining of a recumbant Rumdoom’s tweed jacket. Conquo wanted to know if he should simply remove the coin, or throw away the whole jacket. This distinction nonplussed Leon who was more concerned about the depth of feeling this revealed: he was loath to transport Rumdoom against his will (and did not know that he had not agreed to be teleported). A debate raged. Time was ticking on and they would be late for their assignation with Stover.

At length, Leon was persuaded by necessity more than anything else. They removed the coin and Conquo scooped Rumdoom under his arm. Leon would take him to Renza after they had met with Delft. Another portal was opened. The unit stepped through. This time Korrigan remained behind! The portal closed.

Gupta, Uru, Conquo (and an unconscious Rumdoom) stood awkwardly before Stover, who looked bleary-eyed this early in the morning, and even more cantankerous than usual. Gupta hastily explained that there was a hitch, and went on to recount her recent adventures. Finally, Korrigan arrived (having found a gold coin stitched into his clothes too). At last, Stover had the reunion he expected, and stepped forward to shake Korrigan by the hand. “Not dead, then?” he said, with tears starting in his eyes. He suppressed them with a manly cough.

Korrigan apologised for his long absence, and the excessive caution required by necessity, outlining the threats he and his family and Malthusius had faced. Stover accepted his explanation and then said, “Just one question: Are you still a unit? Are you still my unit?” Korrigan confirmed that they were and Stover handed him his RHC badge. (He was the only one who had resigned. The others were theoretically AWOL, but Delft said they would overlook that for the time being.)

They made hasty arrangements, choosing the RNS Impossible to high-tail it into Beran waters as soon as it had been outfitted with an experimental teleportation circle. Stover said he would have to look into what other funds could be made available, but was at least able to guarantee that he would convert some of the pre-cast ritual scrolls Gupta had carried into cheaper ones. The unit requested that an expert rail consultant and a medic also be provided. They agreed to use an old code from the Yerasol campaign for sendings. (Korrigan and Rumdoom both knew it and could teach the others.)

Stover then said that something would have to be done about Campion Price-Hill. It wouldn’t do any of their career’s any good to keep him hostage any longer!

Remove ads