• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Zombie Hulk Solo Lvl 6

Coldaan

First Post
Hi Guys!

So i tried to create a memorable solo monster, namely a zombie hulk solo brute who should be lvl 6. What i did was decrease the level of the zombie hulk from the MM by 2 (adjusting defenses & damage accordingly) and then i turned it into a solo according to DMG 185.

this is what i get:
ac 20, fort 23, ref 15, will 18
hp 264 / 132

i hope i did everything right.^^

now the problem i have is first of all should i turn the "zombie smash" ability (which is recharge 6 normally) into an at-will power? it is stated in the DMG that you should turn an encounter power into an at-will when turning a monster into a solo, but the zombie hulk has no encounter power except for the "rise again" power (and NO, i WON'T !! ;-) )

if i really make the "zombie smash" an at-will ability, will the encounter simply be too heavy for a 5-man party of about lvl 4 to 5 ?
because, this guy really has lots of hp AND his "rise again" (so actually he has effectively 396 hp) and his "slam" and "zombie smash" really dish out a lot of damage (max for zombie smash is 36 dmg).

group consists of tiefling warlock, dragonborn fighter, human paladin, half-elf warlord and halfling wizard.

PS:: i'm also considering creating an environment for this encounter that will help the PCs, but it shouldn't turn the fight into an easy-going encounter. so no balcony for the PCs, and still enough room for the monster to move. any ideas? it should be indoor.

-coldaan

Dalzig

First Post
I don't really have an ideas about the monster itself, but the environment I can help with.

Seeing as it's a large creature with a speed of 4, put it in a confined open space. Something like a large hall with 5ft pillars every 10ft. This will give your players plenty of opportunity to maneuver and slows down the zombie.

Tervin

First Post
My gut says that a zombie hulk doesn't really fit as a solo monster, unless you give it a cool template or two. The reason is that a solo monster needs to have many different abilities or be able to do things to a whole party at once, or both. Otherwise the fight is too likely to end up boring.

Savage Berserker is a good fit for a template. If you first make the hulk into an elite and then slap a template onto it by using those rules, I think the resulting solo will be more fun - and you won't have to worry about what to make at-will.

Coldaan

First Post
jep, thanks for the ideas!

but still, how do i deal with a "recharge 6" ability if i turn the monster into an elite? is it enough to give it an additional "recharge wehen first bloodied" like i would do with an encounter power?

anyway, the environment is set (large hall with columns) and i'll turn it into an elite and then into a savage berserker, because it really is the only template that fits really well, thanks!

szilard

First Post
Honestly, this seems like a bad idea... about 400 hp at 3rd level? This fight will take forever.

Some suggestions:

Rise again - this is a big problem, since it doesn't scale evenly with a solo creature. I'd advise not giving it full hp when it rises. Maybe the equivalent of a healing surge?

Zombie Smash - you could have it recharge :5::6: or :4::5::6:.

You might want to give it some sort of immediate reaction - possibly a squirt of necrotic fluids that is released when it receives a critical hit?

-Stuart

Tervin

First Post
You might want to give it some sort of immediate reaction - possibly a squirt of necrotic fluids that is released when it receives a critical hit?

-Stuart

One of the reasons why I suggested the Savage Berserker template is that it comes with a nice little immediate reaction.

Klaumbaz

First Post
i just used the full level 8 brute against 4 level 2's (rogue, cleric, wizard, warlock) as a milestone after a shitload of minion zombies.

Minions went down FAST but ate a few dailies, hulk was in a tower and didn't appear untill the PC's went inside.

Hulk tore up the party, downing 2 of them (rogue, and warlock) before falling down the 2nd time. His reach 2 was mean enough but he hits like a mack truck. No need to make him any nastier.

Foxen

First Post
My MM zombie hulk went down fast against a party of 5 1st levels (believe it or not). It didn't hurt that one was a cleric and another was a pally... and I rolled 3 1's in a row when it attacked. I ended up cheating and giving it the full 88 hp after it rose, and allowed it to make zombie smash at-will (and again, the 3 1's didn't help). What "was" suppose to be the big baddie monster resulted in a rather quick party victory.

However....the Wight they faced earlier in the evening (a singular wight!) was for some reason, the bane of the party!

Fox

Coldaan

First Post
ok, so i turned into an elite and then applied the "savage berserker" template, and it really seems to me that now the encounter will be really interesting while staying fair (kinda^^).

Zombie Hulk Lvl 6 (Solo Brute Savage Berserker)
HP 250/125
AC 20 Fort 27
Ref 15 Will 18
action points: 1
saving throws: +4
regeneration 5

slam(standard, at will)
reach 2, 2d8+4 dmg
zombie smash (standard, recharge 4-6 and when first bloodied)
reach 2, 4d8+4 dmg & prone
murderous frenzy
gain 1 action point when zombie hulk reduces enemy to 0 HP
savage rebuke (immediate reaction when hit by melee attack, at will)
make a melee basic attack (=slam)
rise again (first time zombie hulk is reduced to 0 HP)
roll a new initiative; on the next turn, the zombie hulk rises again with 125HP (bloodied value)

ok, that's it! ;-)
the "fighting zone" will be a large hall with lots of columns and furniture, so the PC can unse the environment to their advantage. i hope they really do that.^^

Last edited:

Remove ads