• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Zombie Outbreak - where to hide?

Bagpuss

Legend
jmucchiello said:
Off planet is about the best you can get. Just hope there are no zombies in the hold....

Off planet? Are you insane didn't you ever see Lifeforce or were you too busy looking at her boobs? Outer space is the source of many zombie plagues.

Bagpuss

Legend
Mark Plemmons said:
Off-topic: 28 Days Later - good. 28 Weeks Later - bleah (though the last few seconds were nice).

Personally I liked 28 Weeks Later. There was some silly stuff like the use of the helicopter, but there were some really good scenes, like the farmhouse at the start, when he finds his wife, etc.

Nadaka

First Post
Bagpuss said:
Personally I liked 28 Weeks Later. There was some silly stuff like the use of the helicopter, but there were some really good scenes, like the farmhouse at the start, when he finds his wife, etc.

At least it wasn't as bad as the helicopter stunts in "Tomorrow Never Dies". Blarg.

Eltharon

Explorer
28 Weeks made me feel like i was about to have a seizure at some points. And I thought the military made so many mistakes in the "cleansing" of London that I kinda lost interest. The beginning was good, though.
28 Days Later was very good. Though, I confess, I havent seen the Romero movies (though I did see the 2002 remake of Dawn of the Dead...which wasnt amazing)

Personally, if I ever game a zombieocolypse, I'll do it in a small, isolated area, or in an area like poor parts of Africa, where the large hand of the US military will remain far away, at least until the final dramatic fight scene.

Tetsubo

First Post
Slife said:
Kill them? Why would we want to kill them? Hook them up to treadmills and have environmentally friendly zombie power.

The PCs in an old 2E campaign did this. They executed criminals and had them turned into zombies. The zombies then "walked the wheel" and pumped water for the town... cheap, endless labor that you never have to feed...

Tetsubo

First Post
Bagpuss said:

Except that everyone at that farmhouse was a clueless git... they were *completely* unprepared for an attack by the Infected. Out of six adults they had *one* hand weapon. Not a single polearm. They were on a farm, polearms are literally lying around... they made no shields, which can be fabricated out of cabinet doors in minutes... they did a p*ss poor job of barring the doors and windows as well... they might as well have just laid out in a field and waited for the Infected...

I'm a lover of films. My wife and I go to the movies two to three times a month. I understand "willing suspension of disbelief"... but the screen writer and director of -28 Weeks Later- asked too much. I should have just stayed home, imagined a cool sequel to -28 Days Later- and mailed them a check for $16... it would have been a better experience...

To say there were plot holes in that film would be admitting there was a plot...

Bagpuss

Legend
Eltharon said:
I thought the military made so many mistakes in the "cleansing" of London that I kinda lost interest.

I didn't get the need to cut the lights and power that just seemed a bit dumb, I suppose with all the troops carrying nightscopes it would be a standard anti-terror tactic, but looking civilians in a basement then killing the lights and wondering why it causes panic. :confused:

Tetsubo

First Post
Bagpuss said:
I didn't get the need to cut the lights and power that just seemed a bit dumb, I suppose with all the troops carrying nightscopes it would be a standard anti-terror tactic, but looking civilians in a basement then killing the lights and wondering why it causes panic. :confused:

Because if they didn't herd all the civilians into the basement, they Infected wouldn't have been able to access them so easily...

If that film were an adventure, the players would get up and leave because of the blatant and ham fisted railroading... Who gives a civilian security access to a military biolab? A civilian that was a glorified janitor no less...

Celebrim

Legend
Tetsubo said:
Because if they didn't herd all the civilians into the basement, they Infected wouldn't have been able to access them so easily...

And never mind that official US policy from the Federal level right down to the municiple is that civilians should barricade themselves in place in the event of a crisis epidemic precisely because a decentralized population is much harder to infect.

If that film were an adventure, the players would get up and leave because of the blatant and ham fisted railroading...

Basically, yes. Alot of films fail the test of 'what would my player's do', but that's where all the zombie films fail for me. They are so anxious to give thier negative spin on human nature, that they produce this ridiculously over the top ham-handed one sided portrayal of humanity that fails even as good fiction. (The same thing can be said for most anti-war movies as well.) Personally, I don't think you need to exaggerate things to condemn human behavior. Just show us as we are, the good and the bad, and that will do the job sufficiently and be alot harder to scoff at and alot less like a sermon.

These sort of movies would be much better in my opinion if the zombies were a threat despite the sensible, reasonable, and understandable things that people were doing. Of course, that's typically not in the agenda. What is typically in the agenda is 'society is evil', 'everyone in authority is evil', 'everyone who is rich is evil', and 'when the zombies eat them, they get what they deserve'. Ultimately, what it comes down to is, 'everyone who believes differently than I do is evil, and deserves to be terrified and killed'. Of course, the director doesn't want to see it that way, so he projects his own views on to those of his self-created 'enemies'.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads