• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Zombie Outbreak - where to hide?

Warren Okuma

First Post
JDJblatherings said:
I work for a defense contractor, one that actually works on armor, I don't recall zombie defense being part of the specs.
Allow me to enlighten you. Easily able to withstand the human bite pressure of 360 lbs.
http://www.americaspersonalsecurity.com/tyc10levrear.html
Note that tychem is punture and tear resistant
http://www.fire-end.com/ChemicalHazMatSuits.html
Gloves...
http://firstrespondernetwork.com/it...lar-plus-cut-resistant-gloves-9362-detail.htm
JDJblatherings said:
the troops have to be Federalized, or someone has to realize the country is under attack before that is goign to happen in meaningful fashion.
Nope. Teams that secure nuclear weapons can activate itself and any unit it deems necessary if the base comes under attack. Marines can activate when the base comes under attack.
JDJblatherings said:
My navy friend is away from his family 6-12 months a year, others doesn't get seen for a year or so at a time, my current army friends are "over there".
Okay, ya got me. So long Navy. Hope you are at sea.

Last edited:

Celebrim

Legend
JDJblatherings said:
Zombies bite harder. At least in films where they crack peoples skulls open with their teeth. ;)

So, how much stronger are presumed zombies than people? 20%? 50%? I think the abilities of our hypothetical zombie need to be more tightly specified.

Personally, I wouldn't think you could bite through a skull without shattering your teeth and jaw, nor can I accept that human mucle tissue could become many times as strong as it is without accepting 'magic' as an explanation. Obviously, having no pain response and being in a beserk state could somewhat increase human strength (at the expense of self-inflicted tissue damage), and the zombie transformation could have some enhancing effect - but I'd be skeptical of anything beyond the strength levels we see in extant animal muscle. So maybe topped out we might get away with projecting a 100% strength increase per given amount of muscle mass, but even that's pushing it.

In any event, I think 360lbs is very generous for human bites, and even bumped up 20-50% I think that modern and near future armor could provide reasonable protection.

Traditional zombies are also slow and clumsy in thier application of this strength as well, so unless we are talking about equivalent gains in speed and agility as well, I still strongly give the edge to the weapon user one way or the other.

Warren Okuma

First Post
JDJblatherings said:
Zombies bite harder. At least in films where they crack peoples skulls open with their teeth. ;)
360 lbs is near max human. It can sheer copper wire and cut thin nylon rope. The Kevlar and tychem combo is really tough stuff. Kinda like chewing though a third to half an inch worth of denim depending on glove type.

Let's say that the zombies have a teeth breaking 540+ lbs. of pressure (egads! Near grizzly bite strength, arm tearing, skull rending strength.) Okay. It'll hold for maybe 30-60 seconds I'm guessing, still good enough to give out a warning, and depending on the angle, condition of the zombie's teeth, and glove construction, I'd estimate it last longer. A human hand is gonna break though.

If they have a normal human bite strength, they cannot get though. Maybe in a coupla hours of teeth eroding chewing.

If you are looking at the new spectra and bio steel stuff that's coming out, it's going to be even better.

awayfarer

First Post
Tetsubo said:
Except that everyone at that farmhouse was a clueless git... they were *completely* unprepared for an attack by the Infected. Out of six adults they had *one* hand weapon. Not a single polearm. They were on a farm, polearms are literally lying around... they made no shields, which can be fabricated out of cabinet doors in minutes... they did a p*ss poor job of barring the doors and windows as well... they might as well have just laid out in a field and waited for the Infected...

I'm a lover of films. My wife and I go to the movies two to three times a month. I understand "willing suspension of disbelief"... but the screen writer and director of -28 Weeks Later- asked too much. I should have just stayed home, imagined a cool sequel to -28 Days Later- and mailed them a check for $16... it would have been a better experience...

To say there were plot holes in that film would be admitting there was a plot...

I'm glad to see somebody else feels this way. Er, several sombodies by the look of the thread.

My major complaint was the ending. In an indirect way they killed the cast from the first one and ruined their happy ending.

TheLe

First Post
Nadaka said:
Shaun of the Dead was a good zombie movie, and it had competent military response. However, they only showed up in the last what? 10 minutes of the movie? So the trick to mixing a realistic military response with a good zombie horror is to focus on the initial outbreak where the civilians just have to find a way to hold out long enough for rescue (and they might not that rescue is coming if radio and telephone goes down).

Right, but the UK is a lot smaller than the USA or other territories. Then again, many more residents of the USA carry guns than UK residents, the latter of which is very difficult to find a gun.

Then again, US folk have better teeth, so the zombies here would be more dangerous... :p

`Le

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads