• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Zombies!!! Anyone played it?

Cthulhudrew

First Post
I saw the Zombies!!! board game by Twilight Creations in a game store in Berkeley over the weekend, and thought it looked cool. Has anyone out there played this? Good, bad, fun, unfun? Stories they can share?

(Mods: If this thread would be better off in another forum- it's not strictly an RPG- apologies for not putting it there. Wasn't sure where it would fit.)

Obergnom

First Post
I have got it, and we played it quite a few times.

Owning both the basic game and the military expansion (Zombie Corps?), I allways thought the expansion muddies the game down. The Basic game is fine as is.

The fun part about the game is, there might allways be an opportunity to win, no matter how bad your current position, and there are two ways to pursue (kill 25 zombies or reach the helicopter) to win. The game rewards good tactics, but someone might just win because of incredible luck. That makes it a good game for gaming evenings, where not everyone is a gamer and has played the game before.

I think I haven't played it for a year or something like that, but I can really recommend it.
But, get the Bag of zombies (100 extra zombies), otherwise you have to write down the killed zombies when playing with more than 3 players, having them as a pile is just so much cooler :)

Bagpuss

Legend
Zombies!!! is okay, but with about four players or more you cycle the card deck so fast that it becomes nearly impossible to win because they players can stop anyone one reaching the helicopter and there is a card that lets some of the zombies in your collection come back to life.

Normally I've found the game ends because players get bored with it rather than someone wins.

I'd see if you find Last Night on Earth I've heard good things about it, and it doesn't have that never ending grind quality of Zombies!!!. The production values look higher too.

Saying that I've not had a chance to play it myself because it still is impossible to find here.

Darkwolf71

First Post
Zombies!!! is an amazing game, I can't recommend it enough. As mentioned it is best if you have at least one Bag o' Zombies or Bag o' Babes. The box just doesn't come with enough of them. I find the expansions to be rather nice because they allow multiple helicopter pads giving you more options. Also the extra cards helps with the previously mentioned deck cycling. 2 or 3 players, use just the basic game. 4+ start adding expansions.

With a large enough surface and an evening to kill you could easily play a game with a dozen or more players.

OakwoodDM

First Post
As well as agreeing with the sentiment that Zombies!!! is a great game (even without the bag o'zombies), I'd like to point out that if you are a fan of the Evil Dead Trilogy, then MidEvil by the same people, and following similar principles (only with Skeletons instead of Zombies and the Middle Ages instead of Modern times) is also a top notch game.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I've played both Zombies!!! and Last Night On Earth. A friend of mine and her family play a lot of boardgames among themselves, their friends and neighbors. They've also played both. We agree that Last Night On Earth is a better game overall; better play, more interesting scenarios, superior production values, etc. There are likely supplements to LNoE coming soon. Zombies is OK (and, yes, if you get it get the Bag O Zombies, because you'll run out quickly in 3+ player games), and I'm not a sad panda because I bought it but LNoE is a better game.

Twowolves

Explorer
I have played both the original Zombies!!! (circa 2001) and the revised rules. It ain't Advanced Squad Leader, but it is a fun, beer and pretzels kinda game. I was impressed with the production values overall (especially from such a small company).

My brother-in-law is a huge zombie freak, so I buy every expansion and give it to him for his birthday or Christmas, so if you do try to use them all, it will bog down terribly. I suggest the main game, the 3.5 expansion (cards only), and maybe ONE of the others (6 Feet Under = sewers, Mall Walkers = mall fun, Zombie Corpse = military base, plus I think there is a variant base set that takes place in the woods with zombie dogs = Evil Dead 1/2).

As far as simple rules and a ton of fun, I can't praise it enough.

viscounteric

Explorer
Zombies!!! is a fantastic game, although my experience with the expansions is less than desirable. I'd stick to the basic game and and the card only expansions.

Remove ads