• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Zones, eternal or no?

-Avalon-

First Post
PHB 59 Definition of Zone: (with a few things left out that are for examples)
"The zone keyword applies to powers that create lingering effects that extend over an area... Unless otherwise specified, a zone fills a power's area of effect. Use the standard rules for areas of effect to determine which square it fills. If a zones creator is slain, the zone immediately ends."

Paladin Powers in question:
PHB 93 Hallowed Circle - No Sustain listed
PHB 93 Sacred Circle - No Sustain Listed
PHB 97 Righteous Inferno - Sustain Minor

The top two mention until end of encounter, but do not say that the zone persists around the paladin, meaning that either A: It does persist and allies only gain the bonuses while within the "aura", or B: It does not persist and the allies that happened to be within the "aura" when the prayer was cast get the bonuses while others do not.

The third one has a sustain, which I understand. But further complicates/confuses the issue...

Can anyone explain this to me? or perhaps has sage been asked? or something?

Markn

First Post
The answer is A. Option B is a burst.

Not familiar with the 3rd power and I am at work so I can't quote anything out of the PHB right now.

abyssaldeath

First Post
PHB 59 Definition of Zone: (with a few things left out that are for examples)
"The zone keyword applies to powers that create lingering effects that extend over an area... Unless otherwise specified, a zone fills a power's area of effect. Use the standard rules for areas of effect to determine which square it fills. If a zones creator is slain, the zone immediately ends."

Paladin Powers in question:
PHB 93 Hallowed Circle - No Sustain listed
PHB 93 Sacred Circle - No Sustain Listed
PHB 97 Righteous Inferno - Sustain Minor

The top two mention until end of encounter, but do not say that the zone persists around the paladin, meaning that either A: It does persist and allies only gain the bonuses while within the "aura", or B: It does not persist and the allies that happened to be within the "aura" when the prayer was cast get the bonuses while others do not.

The third one has a sustain, which I understand. But further complicates/confuses the issue...

Can anyone explain this to me? or perhaps has sage been asked? or something?

When you use those powers they create a zone as large as the burst. The zone persists in the spot that it was cast. Even if the Paladin were to move the zone stays put.

There are no aura's for PC's. So unless a power with the zone keyword tells you that you can move the zone it stays exactly where it was first cast.

If a power allows you to move a zone, at least 1 square that the zone covers must remain within the power’s range. If you move far enough away from a zone that it is no longer in range, its effects immediately end.

LaserWolf

First Post
I think you're confusing Zones and Auras. An aura follows a creature around. A zone doesn't. Once a zone is created, it stays in that specific place (e.g. "the paladin is inscribing a circle on the ground").

I also don't have my books handy, but if you're asking about duration I believe the first two powers last until end of encounter (as you noted) or 5 minutes if for some reason you use it outside of an encounter. The 3rd power lasts until the end of the characters next turn, unless it is sustained using a minor action.

Does that answer your question?

DracoSuave

First Post
Sustain powers go for a maximum of five minutes/one encounter by default.

Zones only travel if they say they do. So a close burst zone stays where it is persistantly even if the user moves.

CapnZapp

Legend
If a power allows you to move a zone, at least 1 square that the zone covers must remain within the power’s range. If you move far enough away from a zone that it is no longer in range, its effects immediately end.
This is pretty legalese indeed...

Okay so the first sentence is really only saying "the zone can't move beyond its original boundaries", right?

And the second has nothing to do with that. Instead it seems to only say "move outside the zone and its effects on you disappear". But how is that special for movable zones?

:confused:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
This is pretty legalese indeed...

Okay so the first sentence is really only saying "the zone can't move beyond its original boundaries", right?

And the second has nothing to do with that. Instead it seems to only say "move outside the zone and its effects on you disappear". But how is that special for movable zones?

:confused:

Let's say the wizard creates a zone (a cloud of energy, perhaps), burst 1, range 5, and he can spend a move action to move the zone 6 squares.

He creates the zone centred three squares north of himself, so it occupies squares that are 2, 3, and 4 squares away.

He spends a move action to move the zone. He can move it another three squares north - which would leave squares 5, 6, and 7 squares away - because at least one square is still in range. But he can't move it four squares north, because then the zone would be 6, 7, and 8 squares away, so there are no squares within the 5 square range.

Or, instead of moving the zone, he walks south. He can walk three squares south, and the zone will remain. But if he walks four squares south, the zone is now out of range, and the cloud of energy vanishes.

-Hyp.

CapnZapp

Legend
Ah, thanks! So both these sentences really only say there's an "invisible cord" between Wizard and Zone that will "snap" if stretched outside the power's range.

For movable zones, now.

-Avalon-

First Post
Ok, so a zone that is Burst 1 within 10, must always be within 10 squares of the "caster"?

In that case, a Close Burst 3 has to remain with the "caster"... wouldn't it? Otherwise we have a contradiction...

the range of the power is 10 on the first, and immediate on the second...

Remove ads