• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Zork you very much!

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Well I already need help. I'm using Aeon042 to emulate a DOS capable of running Zork. I can't use the backspace key - it enters a weird character when I do. Any gurus have an idea here?

Fun fact: I was going to pick up CoD: Black Ops to get access to this game, when I realized that I could probably download it at a cheaper price than Black Ops' used price of $15 or so.

Turns out saving the game doesn't work in Aeon either...

Last edited:

Mishihari Lord

First Post
Thanks for the link! I have many fond memories of Zork.

Figuring out how to get this to run on a Win7 machine in a convenient fashion was a pain, so I'll share what I did here.

1) Download and install DosBox
2) In the the start menu directory, create a batch file to run zork with DosBox from command line. As an example, mine was
"C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox-0.74\DosBox" C:\Users\Ian\Documents\Games\zork\1\_ZORK1.com

This created a button in my start menu that I could click on to start the game. Without this, I'd never play the game - just too much of a hassle. There are easier options available if you have win 7 pro/ultimate/enterprise, but since I'm just running premium, those weren't available to me.

Last edited:

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Trying Zork 1 in a DOSBox environment here. I have some problems saving the game. Does anyone have an idea how to adress a specific path? And how can I load a game?

Mishihari Lord

First Post
Trying Zork 1 in a DOSBox environment here. I have some problems saving the game. Does anyone have an idea how to adress a specific path? And how can I load a game?

The method I described automounts the game directory as "c:" Type "save" to save game, and when it asks for a target file, type "c:\save\zork1.dat" Note the extra backslash after "c:" as compared to where the game wants to save by default.

To load your game, just type "restore" and give the same location

Edit: It looks like the game refuses to overwrite saved games, so you'll need to use a different save name each time

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
The method I described automounts the game directory as "c:" Type "save" to save game, and when it asks for a target file, type "c:\save\zork1.dat" Note the extra backslash after "c:" as compared to where the game wants to save by default.

To load your game, just type "restore" and give the same location

Ah, thank you! I tried "load" and "open" (duh! "open" in a text adventure...:eek:), but didn't think of "restore".

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads