ZWEIHÄNDER Grim & Perilous RPG - a Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay retroclone

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
As a part of our $33K Fury Die stretch goal, we promised to release Early Access PDF for free. We originally planned to wait until after Oct 31, but in celebration of Halloween weekend, you can now download the digital release over at CrowdOx!

We will provide an update next week on progress with the hardback release of ZWEIHÄNDER, along with a peek at new artwork by Dejan Mandic.

Enjoy, and let us know what you think in the comments below. If you have direct feedback on rules, please join the discussion on our forum.

https://app.crowdox.com/projects/grimandperilous/zweihander-grim-and-perilous-rpg

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
Hey gang,

First things first: thanks to your feedback, we've reworked several of the Traits and addressed many of the concerns you had about rule clarity. This also includes a massive revamping of Chapter 12: Bestiary. We're working hard to get everything wrapped up soon, so we can begin shipping hardbacks in December.

For those who backed at the ZWEIHÄNDER! Tier, we have the swords on their way to the office, and will show you pics of them soon. By the way, if you didn't have a chance to back at the ZWEIHÄNDER! Tier and live in the US, we have an option now available for you over at CrowdOx.

In other news, we brought on Matthew Pook (affectionally known as Pookie) as our editor & proofreader. He is a professional editor, working for Sixtystone Press and has edited titles for Chronicle Games, Autarch LLC, Cubicle Seven Entertainment, Miskatonic River Press, Modiphius Entertainment and Triple Ace Games. Currently, Pookie also edits the Age of Cthulhu line for Goodman Games and OSR titles for Lamentations of the Flame Princess. He also is a well-known reviewer, having published each week for a decade in Steve Jackson Games’ Pyramid e-zine. We are so incredibly proud to have an industry veteran on-board to professionally edit ZWEIHÄNDER. Even with this latest addition to our team, we are still estimating to have all edits complete before the end of November.

As of October 28th, the Early Access PDF went out to the public for free. If you have a friend who didn't back on Kickstarter or didn't do a late pledge, they can now download it for free over on CrowdOx. We will bring it live on RPGNow.com later this week.

Ok, now onto art stuff! Embracing the order/chaos idea from the book, Dejan has completely reworked our interior borders. For proof of concept, our 'Mother of Dragons' Milena has created a new mock-up of Chapter 2: How To Play. See the artwork and new updates over at our Kickstarter!

aramis erak

Legend
Hey gang,
[snip]
In other news, we brought on Matthew Pook (affectionally known as Pookie) as our editor & proofreader. He is a professional editor, working for Sixtystone Press and has edited titles for Chronicle Games, Autarch LLC, Cubicle Seven Entertainment, Miskatonic River Press, Modiphius Entertainment and Triple Ace Games. Currently, Pookie also edits the Age of Cthulhu line for Goodman Games and OSR titles for Lamentations of the Flame Princess. He also is a well-known reviewer, having published each week for a decade in Steve Jackson Games’ Pyramid e-zine. We are so incredibly proud to have an industry veteran on-board to professionally edit ZWEIHÄNDER. Even with this latest addition to our team, we are still estimating to have all edits complete before the end of November.

Congrats to Matthew... Didn't he also work for HHP as the office staff back in the 90's???
(ISTR working with him via email on some conversions between Prime Directive and LUG-Trek... Very easy to work with.)

As of October 28th, the Early Access PDF went out to the public for free. If you have a friend who didn't back on Kickstarter or didn't do a late pledge, they can now download it for free over on CrowdOx. We will bring it live on RPGNow.com later this week.
In skimming the no art version, I found myself a bit confused on one particular bit... probably because of "how it used to work in WFRP" expectations...

If I understand correctly, attributes in advance schemes only increase the bonus, and thus the odds of winning an opposed test, not the basic chance of success. Some (Strength, especially) have other mechanical uses... but those aren't clear...

Otherwise, pretty good. If I can afford it at the end of the financial month (15th), I'll be upgrading to the full PDF...

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
Congrats to Matthew... Didn't he also work for HHP as the office staff back in the 90's???
(ISTR working with him via email on some conversions between Prime Directive and LUG-Trek... Very easy to work with.)

In skimming the no art version, I found myself a bit confused on one particular bit... probably because of "how it used to work in WFRP" expectations...

If I understand correctly, attributes in advance schemes only increase the bonus, and thus the odds of winning an opposed test, not the basic chance of success. Some (Strength, especially) have other mechanical uses... but those aren't clear...

Otherwise, pretty good. If I can afford it at the end of the financial month (15th), I'll be upgrading to the full PDF...

He did in fact work with HHG back in the day.

Attributes in advance schemes only increase the Bonus Advance, that is correct. This was done to place emphasis on the importance of Skill Ranks and Talents, while the ZWEIHÄNDER math rebalance 'fixed' some odd mechanical issues from WFRP 2e.

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
ZWEIHÄNDER fans!

As of 3:26PM central, Matthew Pook completed his edits for ZWEIHÄNDER! He managed to cut out a lot of the redundancy, eliminated the more confusing elements and massively swept out font errors, typos and removed excessive use of semicolons. We also backed in many of the errors the community caught, and updated several rules in the book that were confusing. We are so incredibly lucky to have him onboard to bring ZWEIHÄNDER to market!

In the meanwhile, take a look at a few snapshots from our early proof of chapters 1-3. Dejan and our Mother of Dragons Milena have been working hard to whip this book into shape, and it shows. Note that we still have a long way to go, as we're still working on font sizing, image nudging, borders and other technical changes for print. They are by no means final:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grimandperilous/zweihander-grim-and-perilous-rpg/posts/1741878

Remove ads