ZWEIHÄNDER Grim & Perilous RPG - a Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay retroclone

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
For those of you who are having issues downloading version 3 (final) illustrated PDFs, we have uploaded them to CrowdOx. Some people are reporting faster download speeds at CrowdOx, so you've got that option should DriveThruRPG not work for you. Both the 150dpi and 300dpi versions are there to download.

If you continue to run into issues, please feel free to message me here so I can get you sorted.

We're still working through issues with proofing, but will have an update in the next week or so when we can begin shipping out books. We're very, very close!

Happy gaming, and talk with you soon.

-d.fx

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
In celebration of Warhammer Fest and the announcement of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4th edition by Cubicle 7 Entertainment, we’re offering our PDF at a discounted rate from $27 to $13 (50% off) over the next 24 hours! If you were on the fence about grim & perilous adventures – or simply need a fix from a game that has a 1st edition feel/2nd edition mechanics approach, now’s the time to scratch that itch!

But hurry, this deal only lasts until May 26th at 10:30AM CDT!

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/210516/ZWEIHANDER-Grim--Perilous-RPG-FULL-VERSION

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
We’ve been getting a lot of inquiries regarding Cubicle 7’s announcement on Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4th edition and the future of ZWEIHÄNDER Grim & Perilous RPG. I want to set the record straight, and assure our fans that it hasn’t altered our course. I’m going to take my publisher’s hat off for a moment, and speak to you as an avid fan/grognard of WFRPG and its various editions.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4E
As you already know, Cubicle 7 Entertainment & Games Workshop recently announced Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4th edition. Tanner and I are excited to see what they do with it, particularly because it will reflect back upon its first and second edition roots and use the d100 model. We’ll also be the first in line to pick it up at our local brick & mortar, because no matter the edition, we’re fans of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, full stop.

Little Victories
We knew this was coming; it was a foregone conclusion that someone would get the license during our development cycle. The Old World has been revitalized over the past three years through other platforms (Total War comes to mind). However, we’re not looking to compete with C7: that’s a zero sum game. We already won the war against Fantasy Flight Games and Games Workshop when they abandoned d100 with the third edition. We managed to carve out a little kingdom among Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay fans – which is totally awesome, because we are huge fans of WFRPG. But that was just an approach to reach the market.

A Bit Of Background
Yours truly is literally one random dude from Missouri, with absolutely no background in technical or creative writing, who has an extremely dedicated gaming group that pushed me to turn my Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay hack rules into an honest-to-god RPG; an unapologetic love letter/heartbreaker to everything I adore about WFRPG and gritty, low fantasy gaming. Tanner shares a similar background and perspective – which is why we work so well together. Dejan’s artistic vision tied the proverbial room together. Coupled with Milena, we jointly created a fantastic RPG that has raised over $90k from physical sales to-date… and that’s strictly from pre-orders!

On Licensing
I was fully prepared to make a significant investment into acquiring the license. I had a business plan, and the next step was to gather a cast of characters from Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay’s past to round it out. Without going into the gory details, I am glad that we were turned down by Games Workshop’s licensing department. Rest assured that Cubicle 7 was the best partner to pick up the license. They are a fantastic company and have some of the best writers and highest quality production on the market (and a ton of development experience with WFRPG 2e). That being said, with C7’s recent announcements – and the baggage that comes with the license – it quickly becomes self-evident what it means to be “owned” by/partnered up with GW.

The Endgame
Our endgame was to make a free-to-play OSR d100 product that anyone can get their hands on, hack up, slash apart and make into their own game… all under the auspices of Creative Commons License. And with our backer’s support, we did it. We just happened to have the wherewithal to embattled Games Workshop’s stranglehold on their IP, rip out the rules, improve upon them and future-proof it by making it world agnostic.

How You Can Use ZWEIHÄNDER
In closing, were I to characterize what Zweihänder is, I’d say its OSRIC for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, but flexible. Play Darkest Dungeon with it; play Witcher with it; play Thirty Years War with it; play The Black Company with it; play The Lies of Locke Lamora with it; make up your own world with it; and yes, play Warhammer with it.

Our Roadmap
ZWEIHÄNDER is not over; we’re just getting started.

We’ve already got a killer supplement we’re playtesting (which will bridge the gap for Magick of Slaneesh/Nurgle/Tzeentch/Malal/Old Ones, vehicle combat, “downtime”, realm management, a Bloodbowl treatment and more). Following this, we’re going to tackle some neat campaign settings (a few of which you’ve already read in our core book) and begin our work on fleshing out Dark Astral.

Thanks for your support, and stay tuned for more news as it develops. Happy gaming!

Best,
Daniel Fox
Lead Designer, Level 40 Raconteur
daniel@grimandperilous.com

http://grimandperilous.com/authors-statement-on-warhammer-fantasy-roleplay-4e-zweihander/

PyroArrow

Explorer
How You Can Use ZWEIHÄNDER
In closing, were I to characterize what Zweihänder is, I’d say its OSRIC for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, but flexible. Play Darkest Dungeon with it; play Witcher with it; play Thirty Years War with it; play The Black Company with it; play The Lies of Locke Lamora with it; make up your own world with it; and yes, play Warhammer with it.

I will be attempting to play Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1E/2E with it!

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
Our series on Worldbuilding using ZWEIHÄNDER Grim & Perilous RPG continues today with Tanner Yea. Today, he covers the Arktos Wastes:

Beyond the thick taiga woods of Ruthen and the countless peaks of Noreg lies a land of shadow and eternal cold and endless night. It was here, thousands of years ago, that a piece of the star vessels used to propel the Ancient Ones across the Vault of Heaven ruptured. The energy within tore open a portal in space and time – a pitch-black, massive Rift into the hell of the Abyss. The energy of Corruption and the fetid nature of the Abyss has spread across the seemingly endless tundras of the north -known as the Arktos Wastes. The land was just ice sheets and tundras, home to small prehistoric tribes of hunter-gatherers. Now, it is an ever-shifting landscape – where the land can warp from vast ice fields into a fetid marsh or a barren desert; supernatural storms bring about storms of blood and worse; and basalt monoliths to the Abyssal Princes call out to believers to worship there. The Arktos Wastes are as close as you can get to actually visiting the infinite Abyss…

http://grimandperilous.com/worldbuilding-in-zweihander-three-hundred-years-war-arktos-wastes/

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
Our series on Worldbuilding using ZWEIHÄNDER Grim & Perilous RPG continues today with Tanner Yea. This will be our last post for the week, but tune in Monday as Tanner continues his series. Today, he'll speak of Couronne:

Roughly one thousand years ago after the Old Imperium collapsed under its own weight, much of the western half of that empire was without leadership. Often seen only as a breadbasket fit for peasants to work on, a minor duke known as Hugo Cour decided to take up the flag and unite these fractured people. Declaring the land he claimed as Couronne and taking the title of Le Rei Soleil, Hugo spent the rest of his life trying to unite the nascent kingdoms of the land into a cohesive monarchal empire. After Cour’s death, succession carried down his bloodline. Though the lands around Le Rei Soleil’s palace of Semailles respected and followed his rule, many outlying territories didn’t recognize it. This led to conflicts with Albain trying to claim the Couronnian throne – which Couronne won – and attempted expansion into The Alpenne States – which Couronne lost via Hespia. Since then, Couronne has experienced a Renaissance – literally. They’ve expanded their borders significantly, art has exploded in quality, and the current Le Rei Soleil – Luis the Greater – has consolidated power. For the past few hundred years, however, they have been been at a stalemate with their Imperium rivals and internal struggles, and there is little sign of stopping…

http://grimandperilous.com/worldbuilding-in-zweihander-three-hundred-years-war-couronne/

Remove ads