• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Black Flag Tales of the Valiant is out (in PDF)! What do people think?

grimmdm80

Villager
Probably not. He quoted the part of the Kobold Press Black Flag FAQ with the promise to release the whole game to ORC (at least it sounded like that). So he is really disappointed that Kobold press also held back parts of their system.

But at least they have put out more feats (talents) than WotC. So maybe it is enough to use well.

I also like their tool section. But it is not enough to switch right now.
I would to point out a few details that some folks are overlooking…
1) KP released the BFRD Two days prior to the ToV Digital Launch.
2) I think it’s unfair to expect every company that publishes under any open license to release all of their IP or other such materials freely. If someone makes the argument that Paizo Did it. That’s fine but that’s Pazio looked at their bottom line and realized that releasing everything into an Open License was ok because where they make their money in adventure paths. But Kobold Press is a very different company they not Paizo or WOTC so they released what the could afford to release into an open license. I don’t think they are being greedy or selfish.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
2) I think it’s unfair to expect every company that publishes under any open license to release all of their IP or other such materials freely. If someone makes the argument that Paizo Did it. That’s fine but that’s Pazio looked at their bottom line and realized that releasing everything into an Open License was ok because where they make their money in adventure paths. But Kobold Press is a very different company they not Paizo or WOTC so they released what the could afford to release into an open license. I don’t think they are being greedy or selfish.
All I ever said was that I was presenting my opinion on the matter. 🤷‍♂️

Why is that relevant?
It has nothing to do with Paizo. It is what Black Flag originally promised and how they advertised themselves.
It was the outrage over WotC that lead to ToV/Black Flag. So people expected them to do better.
I don´t think they are greedy and selfish, because their SRD seems not bad. But not substantially better than WotC. And since 5e SRD is now in CC, there really is no need for an evergreen 5.1 at this point.

With 5.2024e around the corner, ToV has no real selling point right now. If 5.2024 disappoints, I´ll make another assessment and a decision which system to use in the future. And ToV, A5e, 5.2014 and 5.2024 are all possible then.

BigZebra

Adventurer
Don't get me wrong. I really like Kobold Press. Especially their monster books are amazing. But I have a hard time seeing why one would choose ToV over 5r - unless it's an active choice away from WotC. I think C7 has been wise by taking a more long-sighted approach.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Don't get me wrong. I really like Kobold Press. Especially their monster books are amazing. But I have a hard time seeing why one would choose ToV over 5r - unless it's an active choice away from WotC. I think C7 has been wise by taking a more long-sighted approach.
The separation of nature and nurture is a huge difference. I like the design that Kobold is doing in that space, it's much better than WotC.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'm sure I'll mix and match, but I won't know until we see DnD.....

mamba

Legend
It has nothing to do with Paizo. It is what Black Flag originally promised and how they advertised themselves.
did they promise that everything will be under an open license?

To me the comparison was between an SRD under the then soon to be OGL1.1 vs one under something closer to 1.0, and at that time the latter would be more open. I am not aware of it being about all content at all.

It was the outrage over WotC that lead to ToV/Black Flag. So people expected them to do better.
better relative to the OGL 1.1, not sure anyone expected a completely open game, I know I did not

I don´t think they are greedy and selfish, because their SRD seems not bad. But not substantially better than WotC. And since 5e SRD is now in CC, there really is no need for an evergreen 5.1 at this point.
yeah, the CC move was not expected at the time. I still remember Cubicle 7 announcing their take on 5e the day before WotC announced the move to CC. Haven’t heard anything about the actual game since, instead they are releasing ‘filler’ material like travel and crafting rules. I assume that CC move threw their schedule around a bit…

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I find it odd that Heightened Hearing and Sight gives us the raw number, and not the modifier! Like, why? Give me the modifier, like you do for the stats. This really makes no sense to me. Unless that's the NUMBER, and we don't roll at all.....which, maybe that was spelled out in the intro? Unsure?

edit: Yup, that's the number and we don't roll....unsure how I FEEL about that right now, but probably ok with me. Like the players would ever know.

Remove ads