Original ToEE -- Elemental Swords

Quickbeam

Explorer
Can someone please explain what the elemental swords in the original ToEE were like...and post the info/stat blocks for these weapons? In looking for info and ideas to use in our ongoing RttToEE campaign, I keep running across references to the swords as being "powered down" in the Return module. I'm just trying to understand what they were like in the original.

Thanks much!!

Mr Fidgit

First Post
do you remember where in OToEE these are detailed? in the back, the only things that are close are the swords of answering and the elemental power gems

Quickbeam

Explorer
Not a clue in the world...I'm just asking because I've seen comments pertaining to how low powered and scaled down the elemental swords are in RttToEE. Perhaps the remarks were intended as a comparison with the power gems and sword of answering you mention. Can you explain these?

Kerrick

First Post
The answering swords were seven special swords created long ago. Each of them is unique, and intelligent - the all have names like "Backtalker," "Answerer," etc. They all have the ability to counterattack the last being who struck the weilder, IIRC. I have the ToEE, but it's not handy - I can look it up later, if necessary. Anyway, They're something like +4 swords, and they have a few other abilities. They are not, to the best of my knowledge, elemental - one of them just happens to be hidden in the elemental nodes.
I don't know anything about the gems. There was a golden skull that required gems for something... perhaps that's what you meant?

Mr Fidgit

First Post
Fragarach - steel broadsword CG (lawful or neutral creatures take damage and are stunned when they pick it up, CN can use it, but only 1 hit/rd), for CG, automatically hits anyone who has hit the wielder, otherwise a +4, always strikes last in a round. against evil opponents, on a rolled 20 (this was before critcal hits) the damage bonus is +8, set with 7 perfect emeralds, and highly decorative scabbard - worth 90,000 gp.

other swords of answering (Rebuter, Scather, Replier, Retorter, Squelcher, Back-Talker) alignment varied, only +2 weapons, +4 damage on critical, no other powers - also set with stones, etc. - 50,000 gp

elemental power gems - one of each element, fit into the Orb of Golden Death - way evil artifact. possessor of Orb instinctively knows how to operate the Great Throne in the Temple (and some other powers). each elemental gem had to be found in the same type of elemental node and could conjure an elemental (according to type) cast a spell and summon a demon. --air: wind walk/Babau, earth: earthquake/Type I, fire: flame strike/Type II, water: wall of ice/Type III

that's a quick run down...

Quickbeam

Explorer
Thanks for the replies. It seems that the seven swords of answering have become four swords with minor element-related powers. They are somewhat less powerful than their predecessors, and I'm glad to have some idea of what peaople have been referring to. The elemental power gems are an entirely different matter altogether.

Thanks again for filling in the blanks!!

diaglo

Adventurer
i'm gonna have to dig out my copy of ToEE, tonight.

didn't the swords of answering get scattered?

iirc, one was in S4.

Alejandro

First Post
Quickbeam, you may have misunderstood my comments about the elemental swords. There were no precedents for them in the original ToEE, but the four that are present in the RttToEE lose their magical powers when their corresponding altar is destroyed. That loss of power, when linked to the accomplishment of a goal (destruction of the altar), rubbed my group the wrong way. It's akin to placing items which can only be used by evil cultists and not even giving the satisfaction of destroying them to the PCs.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Remove ads