• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Original ToEE -- Elemental Swords

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
diaglo said:
i'm gonna have to dig out my copy of ToEE, tonight.

didn't the swords of answering get scattered?

iirc, one was in S4.

If you're thinking of the sword I'm thinking of, I don't think it's specifically named as one of the swords of answering. I'll have to use a spoiler warning to point out which sword I'm talking about...

SPOILER ALERT FOR MODULE S4: LOST CAVERNS OF TSOJCANTH

Are you talking about the sword that belongs to Drelnza, Iggwilv's vampiric daughter, encountered at the end? If so, while I could see that sword being made by the DM to be one of the answering swords, I don't think it's mentioned to be so.

Mr Fidgit

First Post
ColonelHardisson said:
SPOILER ALERT FOR MODULE S4: LOST CAVERNS OF TSOJCANTH

Drelnza's sword is CE bastard sword +4, intelligent with plenty of extra powers. it doesn't mention answering, or what happens if a different aligned character picks it up.

diaglo

Adventurer
Mr Fidgit said:

Drelnza's sword is CE bastard sword +4, intelligent with plenty of extra powers. it doesn't mention answering, or what happens if a different aligned character picks it up.

that's the one. oops. i guess memory is the first thing.

what was i saying?

DocSER

Explorer
Bonded weapons

The elemental swords reminded me (a little) of the article on bonded weapons from an old Dragon magazine.

I always liked that concept. With the 3E mechanic for magic weapons, the bonded weapons concept is even easier to implement.

The article is well worth a look if one has a good collection (or the CDs).

Quickbeam

Explorer
Monte:
Thanks for stopping in and clarifying that point. As I noted in my other currently running thread, I'll be taking over as DM for our group in an ongoing RttToEE campaign. On the advice (wise & helpful advice) of others, I stopped by your site and took a peek at some of the various RttToEE threads and errata info. I noticed several people griping about the elemental swords and made the incorrect assumption/interpretation that the ToEE had more powerful versions of these weapons. My bad. And for what it's worth, I think there's plenty of background info and detail provided to make the adventure quite epic -- RttToEE is way more than a massive dungeoncrawl IMO.

Alejandro:
I now better understand your party's complaints, and sympathize with them. But personally, I have no problem with bonded magical items; items which only function under specific conditions; or which cease to be of use given certain events. YMMV. Still, I appreciate your input in both of my recent threads, and apologize for misconstruing your remarks :).

Everyone else -- thanks a bunch!!
I'm totally prepared to resume DMing for our group, but just had to put this nagging issue to rest before I grabbed the reins.

Remove ads