Gamehackery: EN World: Community of Ideas

EN World is bouncing back from a devastating hacking. The databases are still there, and we still have our decade+ of history -- but the custom code that has accrued over the years has been compromised, and Morrus and his team are faced with the necessity to try to put it all back together again. I don't envy them. A little history lesson, even if you don't need it EN World started in...

EN World is bouncing back from a devastating hacking. The databases are still there, and we still have our decade+ of history -- but the custom code that has accrued over the years has been compromised, and Morrus and his team are faced with the necessity to try to put it all back together again. I don't envy them.

A little history lesson, even if you don't need it

EN World started in 1999 as as a site for gathering rumors and information about the upcoming edition of D&D (3rd edition). In August of 2000, when the 3E Player's Handbook was released, all that speculative content was archived to avoid confusion. About a year later, Eric Noah had to give it up, and the site was taken over by Russell Morrissey (Morrus, current Guvnor for Life).

Things move pretty fast -- 2001 doesn't seem like it was all that long ago, but just compare that to a few other key internet landmark dates:

• Google goes live in 1998
  • Napster started in 1999, when Eric Noah's first site started. It's now long dead (though it's ancestors live on)
  • Wikipedia launches in 2001. Unless someone edited the wikipedia page on wikipedia with the wrong information
  • Friendster started in 2002, flopped around in the shadow of networks that would come later, and now has been reborn as a social gaming site dedicated to a Malaysian audience (no, seriously, check it out[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friendster]).
  • MySpace started in 2003, got it's butt kicked by Facebook, and recently they announced that they're going to redesign themselves, again, but the plans have not been released.
  • Facebook started in 2004. I was already balding, but still living in denial.
  • Twitter announced what someone had for breakfast for the first time in 2006. Wil Wheaton sat up in bed that very night and started planning world domination.
  • The first iPhone was sold in 2007

What does all that mean? It means that in it's own way, ENWorld is one of the elder statesmen of social media websites. It has managed to remain relevant and interesting through two full editions of D&D, and even two sub-editions (3.5 and Essentials), while expanding it's purview to include any tabletop RPGs.

It's not the only one out there, of course. Wizards has their own community, and there are sites like RPGnet out there, too. But ENWorld has been one of the big kids in that sandbox for a long time.

Value Ideas First

Facebook's meteoric success -- and the relative success of it's contemporaries and copiers -- can in many ways be tied to an important shift in central organizing principal for a community. Before the rise of these social networks, the Bulletin Board culture that ENWorld is a part of had been going strong for years building communities around ideas and passions. People gathered in one site or another and got to know each other through the ideas they posted and argued about.

Think about how you have gotten to know many of the bright lights in the EN World community. When I first discovered ENWorld it was the story hours and great posts by people like Wulf Ratbane and Piratecat that I loved. I read their posts, joined some conversations, got involved in Iron DM -- and really got to know the gamers I was sharing ideas with pretty well. And I knew next to nothing about them in person.

The quality of their ideas (posts) and the website that made those ideas visible and accessible to everyone made it possible to engage people on that level.

The Facebook model, on the other hand, puts the person at the center. A user doesn't stand out for having amazing ideas or for telling great stories. They stand out for making connections with other people, for sharing pictures of their dogs, for announcing that they're eating the best sandwich ever.

There are people sharing great ideas and having insightful, interesting conversations on Facebook. But those conversations are not visible to the whole world -- only to the people they're connected to. The same is true of Twitter, Linkedin, Pinterist.

So, in the Bulletin Board culture, the idea is the gateway to the person. In the social media culture, the person is the gateway to the idea.

Both have their place. But I very much appreciate that EN world has not jumped completely into the social network bandwagon and has retained it's focus on a forum for ideas. I like that I'm just as likely to see the house rule idea of a first time poster as I am an idea posted by an old hand like Plane Sailing. I hope that never changes.

EN WORLD is a resource hog (And Should Stay That Way)

For those of you who don't have much background with web sites and services, it may not be clear to you why ENworld struggles from time to time, and why it's such an endeavor to keep it going. After all, Facebook and Amazon are big, complicated sites, right? And they load fast and never go down!

One of the key concepts to understand is that because of the interaction and volatility of the content on the site, it's very difficult for the administrators to take advantage of many of the tools that can be used to speed up a web site.

Take Amazon, for example. Most of their content is fairly static -- product information does not change very often, so that data can be cached and stored in Amazon's worldwide network of mirrored servers. The product information can be cached for days and weeks before needing to be refreshed. And still, the small amount of custom content they generate based on your user account -- suggested products based on your browsing and purchasing history, etc -- those relatively small deliveries to your browser still demand so much effort that Amazon needs their global distributed network to deliver.

ENWorld is a much smaller site, of course, but unlike Amazon, the vast majority of what you see on any given page load requires much more immediate connection to the master database. Sure, key landing pages like the homepage can be cached for the sake of speedy page loads, but once you're into the forums, expecting to see dynamic content and the response someone wrote to your house rule idea right after they press send…that puts a much higher demand on the database per user than a site like Amazon is producing. And we don't have resources on the same scale.

And then there's the sheer size of that Database -- more than a decade of posts. And it's all still there, still searchable. That massive database means that the queries that build every page load must be very carefully tuned and optimized to make sure they're as efficient as they can be.

morrus-atlas.png

And, lastly, it's been managed and delivered essentially by one guy, some friends and part time help.

Our Community Rocks

There have been major events in the community over the years -- new server fund drives, etc. When Morrus has let us know that the site is in trouble, we've come through.

In posts over the past couple of weeks, users have suggested a way to donate to the site -- maybe a Kickstarter or a donation button or something. And, having used them before, the idea isn't new to Morrus. But, for now, we can all show our support by being good customers.

Buy a membership. If you have one, upgrade. Buy a PDF, or an adventure path. Now more than ever is the right time to buy ZEITGEIST.

And I'll see you in the forums!

EricNoah

Adventurer
Thank you for a thought-provoking article! Here are some random thoughts from the pre-EN World days...

It certainly was an interesting time to be a webmaster, an information curator, and (I guess) a community builder. I never, ever intended to build a community, though. To me it was all about sharing information about the game. It never occurred to me that people would want to gather and talk about "my" stuff and then continue to hang out and talk amongst themselves. What a wonderful discovery that was - I have indeed been blessed!

My original site was basically a flat HTML site; when I was invited over to the RPG Planet hub, the people there constantly wanted me to switch to a database system where I could post news items with no need to futz with formatting, etc. I turned them down and retained the flat HTML - partially because it was what I was comfortable with, mostly because I had more flexibility to display information the way I wanted to.

There was no connection between the news pages and the forum, not in the way EN World is today (for example, there was no ability to comment directly on news stories). The two systems were not integrated. I do wonder what the site would have been like if I'd had that option. And Russ's move to blend the two into one has been a good one overall, I think. Though I believe Russ might personally enjoy a more hand-crafted approach to the news side of the business.

The community survived several different incarnations of forum along the way. One early forum of ours was essentially one long thread. Yikes. I think there are many EN World members still around who remember how much traffic we brought to the RPG Planet forums - so much so that we often crashed them, and their tech support guys would just turn off our forums to let the other hosted sites have some up-time.

I do wonder how I would tackle a similar project in today's landscape. Twitter and Facebook would probably have a place, but probably only as "alert" systems to draw viewers back to a hand-crafted page.

While I made some money from the site (both from Amazon.com links and direct payments from RPG Planet), it was never enough to even consider the possibility of doing the site as a full-blown business. That Russ is able to break even is remarkable to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Thank you for a thought-provoking article! Here are some random thoughts from the pre-EN World days...

It certainly was an interesting time to be a webmaster, an information curator, and (I guess) a community builder. I never, ever intended to build a community, though. To me it was all about sharing information about the game. It never occurred to me that people would want to gather and talk about "my" stuff and then continue to hang out and talk amongst themselves. What a wonderful discovery that was - I have indeed been blessed!

My original site was basically a flat HTML site; when I was invited over to the RPG Planet hub, the people there constantly wanted me to switch to a database system where I could post news items with no need to futz with formatting, etc. I turned them down and retained the flat HTML - partially because it was what I was comfortable with, mostly because I had more flexibility to display information the way I wanted to.

There was no connection between the news pages and the forum, not in the way EN World is today (for example, there was no ability to comment directly on news stories). The two systems were not integrated. I do wonder what the site would have been like if I'd had that option. And Russ's move to blend the two into one has been a good one overall, I think. Though I believe Russ might personally enjoy a more hand-crafted approach to the news side of the business.

The community survived several different incarnations of forum along the way. One early forum of ours was essentially one long thread. Yikes. I think there are many EN World members still around who remember how much traffic we brought to the RPG Planet forums - so much so that we often crashed them, and their tech support guys would just turn off our forums to let the other hosted sites have some up-time.

I do wonder how I would tackle a similar project in today's landscape. Twitter and Facebook would probably have a place, but probably only as "alert" systems to draw viewers back to a hand-crafted page.

While I made some money from the site (both from Amazon.com links and direct payments from RPG Planet), it was never enough to even consider the possibility of doing the site as a full-blown business. That Russ is able to break even is remarkable to me.

It's definitely a different environment now. I don't know if it's better or worse, but it's different. A news page like this can't compete directly - in terms of speed of news proliferation - with social networking; and companies interact with sites like this in a very different way to 10 years ago (in WotC's case, for example, everything is in the form of press releases which have been through legal and a PR agency and released simultaneously to a thousand media outlets -- the concept of a "scoop" doesn't really exist now, though it might for other RPG companies).

And, indeed, the information curation aspect to, say the new D&D edition, became redundant the moment the playtest packets started to go out. If someone wants to know about D&D Next, they can go and physically look at it. The source material is a far more valuable source of information than a third party telling you what's in the source material, especially when that material is literally a click or so away.

So the role of sites like this have to change, I think. They're unlikely to be the place to get a scoop these days (although we can still be the place to find a collection of recent news nicely summarised in one place - that's a definite strength that social media aren't quite so good at doing); and info curation is harder to find a place for in face of publicly accessible original source material. They need to rediscover their strengths, work out which ones are still relevant, and try to focus on those. The article above makes for good thinking - a forum being a construct based around ideas (threads) rather than people. It's quite perceptive, I think, and I'd not really looked at it like that before. A forum isn't likely to be the first to mention something these days - Twitter and Facebook will have already done so a thousand times each before you can even get to your computer - but a forum will definitely delve into those ideas in detail, in a slower but less transitional fashion, in a way that those two don't. So both have their role.

Twitter and Facebook would probably have a place, but probably only as "alert" systems to draw viewers back to a hand-crafted page.

Oh, for sure. It's vital. I've had Facebook and Twitter stuff linking back here for a year or so now, though I think I was very, very slow off the mark there. I should have been doing that sort of thing three years ago.

Though I believe Russ might personally enjoy a more hand-crafted approach to the news side of the business.

It is better, you're right. It makes for a more attractive, approachable, inviting website if done well (conversely, if done badly, it makes for a truly ugly experience!)

You had a knack there that I don't have. An eye for layout which made your site very approachable. On the other hand, though, the workload with such a thing is much higher. I am tempted sometimes, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

EricNoah

Adventurer
One place where a database approach would have beat hand-crafted efforts was my early attempt at a D20 System Guide - where I listed all the companies and their upcoming products. Bit off way more than I could chew there, plus it was insane trying to keep up with shifting release dates - and more maddening, many missed releases or vaporware. I have memories of a pretty herculean effort to port that over to your reviews database system and kind of merge them together.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
One place where a database approach would have beat hand-crafted efforts was my early attempt at a D20 System Guide - where I listed all the companies and their upcoming products. Bit off way more than I could chew there, plus it was insane trying to keep up with shifting release dates - and more maddening, many missed releases or vaporware. I have memories of a pretty herculean effort to port that over to your reviews database system and kind of merge them together.

I remember it well. I think RPGNow is the product directory now - with the added bonus that it's the product distributor, too. I think pretty much everything appears there with the exception of Paizo and WotC. For WotC, though, we have Echohawk's collectors' guides which are insanely complete. I can't take any credit at all for those, though.

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
I can't thank either one of the two of you enough for your parts in this joint. I wasn't around in those early years -- I think I didn't discover the site until around 2002 -- but still, the longevity of this sort of project is really remarkable.

I think facebook, twitter, pinterist, whatever -- I think that any site these days has to engage with those. But I agree with Eric, they should be used to bring people to the site -- to promote content -- whether that content is crafted or not. Are there plugins for the Forums that will identify new threads that are generating a lot of activity that could send out an automated tweet or facebook post -- a sort of "trending now" message?

-j

Remove ads

Remove ads