Seek Triumph And Technology With Mutant Crawl Classics

This review covers the kickstarter PDF of the upcoming Mutant Crawl Classics (MCC) hardcover rulebook. In Mutant Crawl Classics (also available in PDF) you explore a mutated ruined world as a human or mutant (human, animal, or plant). In 282 black and white pages filled with amazing art, MCC presents hothouse jungles and glowing deserts filled with ruins hiding ancient artifacts guarded by mutated beasts. The game pays homage to Gamma World while providing its own twists and unique takes on a ruined world.

The greatest strengths of MCC would be the art and the adventures. The ruined hothouse jungle world inhabited by bizarre and many times murderous beings comes alive. Rampaging robots, planet wide AIs, sentient cockroaches, strange devices of the ancients, and crazy mutations challenge the PCs. PCs will handle strange devices of the ancients, roleplay and receive power from global AIs, fight mutants of all kinds, and explore well detailed ruins.

The rules chassis is a mostly stripped down D&D 3.5 with race and class combined like in basic D&D. Combat and basic challenges PCs will face like falling and fire are covered. However, some of the rules and corner cases of 3.5 are not included, so referees will need to be ready to make several rulings. For example how to determine surprise and any type of encumbrance system are completely up to the referee to devise.

Charts are a big part of MCC. The effects of mutations, wetware programs (similar to Dungeon Crawl Classics spells), and crits all rely on charts. The charts provide a wide range of unpredictable results that fit well into the 1970s style post-apocalyptic genre but can be even more random than Gamma World during play.

A unique 0 level funnel replaces the need for creating a background as the first adventure simply becomes the story of how the PCs became adventurers. The funnel has a high death toll, however, and some players do not like the high body count. The weakness of 0 level PCs also makes some PCs feel powerless.

For non-humans, race is class. Humans have four classes to choose from healer, rover (rogue), sentinel (fighter), and shaman. The shaman connects a human PC to a powerful AI patron. The patron provides powerful wetware programs (spells) in exchange for loyalty. The class is similar to D&D’s warlock. The shaman serves as a unique addition to the implied setting relying not on mutations or only tech but instead focusing on spell like powers.

The biggest hurdle for my players was the dice. MCC uses d16 and d24s and more. The need to roll strange dice threw them off especially as none of them had the special dice. And I had trouble telling the difference between a d14 and a d16.

The greatest challenge for me was the rules, specifically the missing ones, followed closely by making the weird dice work for the players. I had trouble finding some things during the game. Because of my D&D experience, I simply fell back on memory for a lot of things (I decided that surprise is determined by Intelligence opposed by the ambushers’ Agility for example).

I do like the truly primitive start and 0 level funnel of MCC. The adventures and implied setting of MCC are flavorful, challenging, and a joy to explore. The rules, however, range from well detailed and chart heavy to referee fiat to missing completely. The game is fun to play if you are comfortable relying on the referee’s decisions for quite a bit of the rules, If you are familiar with running D&D and love Gamma World post-apocalyptic gaming, than MCC may work well for you.

This article was contributed by Charles Dunwoody as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. Please note that Charles is a participant in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to DriveThruRPG. We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

Charles Dunwoody

Charles Dunwoody

tgmoore

Explorer
I will endeavor not to write an actual review but rather touch on a few of my observations. The book has excellent production values, art, layout and tables. If you are fan of Dungeon Crawl Classics (DCC) you will definitely be interested in this game.

The setting can be described as post post apocalypse. This generic science fantasy setting occurs so far in the future that player characters now come from a stone age tribe with little more than legends of a distant technological past. No one has any idea how the end occurred and it really doesn't matter if it was 200 or 1000 years ago. Mad Max this is most certainly not.

I do not think weird dice are hurdle to overcome as the physical dice are readily available from Goodman Games and online dice rolling programs for smart phone are available for free. I like Purple Sorcerers Crawler Companion. You can roll dice through a webpage here: https://purplesorcerer.com/roller.htm (requires flash support). There are also very useful free character generation tools for your 0-level funnel.

My quibbles are minor and not even in total are an excuse not to try out this game. My complaints are primarily disagreements with conscious design choices on the part of Goodman Games. I assume these design choices were made to keep page count down and are not due to oversight. These include a lack of medieval weapons/armor (easily ported from DCC but still not included), a lack of modern weapons and equipment like firearms, vehicles, pack animals, body armor which could serve as a middle tier between stone age and truly mysterious artifact level items. The decision to not include Shaman wetware spells over level 3. Such spells will be included in future adventures but not including them diminish the games utility as a all in one product. The bestiary is small with a paltry 30 entries but every adventure (including the one in the books) does include new stated out monsters in it.

I found the 50/50 D100 roll of Hunter or Gatherer during character generation a bit of a let down. Especially in contrast the to very detailed Appendix A: Primitive Occupations Table found in 2013s DCC#79 Frozen in Time adventure module.

The book is without a doubt a do it yourself project. The free D20 Modern SRD could fill in gaps and as you mentioned Frozen in Time and DCC itself can fill in more details.

I missed the kick starter but have this on pre-order. I'm a little disappointed at the initial thoughts on the books but I still look forward to using the game as a silly and fun change of pace from my D&D adventures.

After the pre order I have since bought DCC and I love the art and feel of the game so far through my reading of the rules.

TheSwartz

Explorer
If it's anything at all like DCC (which it sounds like it is), then I can't wait to get my hands on it. Sounds to me like some of the criticisms, others may consider positives. Everything I've read (or seen in the case of artwork) from GG so far has been simply awesome.

deadboydex

Explorer
Falling damage is under Other Combat Rules, on pg 138-139. Surprise is covered under initiative on pg 123, but you're right, there's no consistent method for determining surprise, and DCC doesn't have one either -- probably because it's one of those classic "ask five DMs, get six answers" issues.

Falling damage is under Other Combat Rules, on pg 138-139. Surprise is covered under initiative on pg 123, but you're right, there's no consistent method for determining surprise, and DCC doesn't have one either -- probably because it's one of those classic "ask five DMs, get six answers" issues.

Thanks. I did a search for falling damage but couldn't find it.

Fanaelialae

Legend
I'm looking forward to this! I wish I hadn't missed the Kickstarter for it.

For a more Mad Max take on DCC, there's the Umerican Survival Guide on DriveThruRPG. There are some differences, such as the armor rules, but I imagine you could pick and choose which rules you prefer with only slight modification to either book.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases