Burning Questions: How Can I Add Ambience to D&D Sessions?

Welcome to another edition of Burning Questions. Today’s query What are some great ambience actions I can take that will add excitement and value to my Dungeons and Dragons role-playing get-togethers?

Welcome to another edition of Burning Questions. Today’s query What are some great ambience actions I can take that will add excitement and value to my Dungeons and Dragons role-playing get-togethers?

This is an interesting question with multitude of answers. Creating a pleasant and fun ambiance for a D&D game is highly subjective. In the past, I've used Syrinscape, video game music, film soundtracks, instrumental music and various sound effects to set up the mood and play in the background during the adventure.

For free options, YouTube and Tabletop Audio can be the DM's best friend and staunchest ally. There is a wide range of lush, well-produced ambient music on these sites suitable for any game.

For paid options, Syrinscape has a cornucopia of high-quality music available, along with an app. I haven't used it much beyond the free trial—it doesn't really suit my dungeon mastering needs—but it can be a good option for newer DMs or folks who may prefer the unique style of their tunes. If you have paid subscription to sites like Spotify, Pandora or Google Play Music (doubles as a YouTube Premium sub with some carriers like T-mobile), you can find a plethora of pre-made D&D playlists, curated by players and DMs alike.

Now, here's where things may get a little bit weird—my taste in music is a bit eclectic and all over the place. I've used variations of the following suggestions in my two most recent campaigns. In my current Dragon Heist campaign, I use everything as outlined below. I’ll keep the music a bit low so my players can hear me and play each piece as appropriate to the game’s action.

Admittedly, some of my musical choices are a bit different than what one may expect for a RPG setting. However, in the context of my various campaigns, the music just seems to work for me. To that end, I love using a combination of Super Nintendo era video game soundtracks, the soundtracks to my favorite 1980s films and Frank Zappa instrumental tracks to create

For general, game-length ambiance, my go-to the Chrono Trigger OST. The music from this classic Super Nintendo RPG is ideal for traveling, battles, dungeon delving, tension, drama and just about any application you can think of during your game. The original Super NES music is great, but Google Play features a great version of the soundtrack by White Knight Instrumentals that Ifind works ideally for my games. It can be found here.

For travel music, I prefer something from the soundtrack to either Conan the Barbarian or (silly, I know) Ladyhawke. With the former, everything from “Anvil of Chrom” to “Orphans of Doom” is an amazing fit for my D&D games. On the latter, I find the mix of synths and guitar only contributes to the fun of the game for my players and me. I especially like using “Main Title,” “Phillipe’s Escape,” “Tavern Fight” and “The Search for Phillipe.” The soundtrack for Ladyhawke can be found here and Conan can be found here.

For battles, I like to use Zappa's Guitar and Trance-Fusion albums, specifically the cut “Chunga's Revenge” from the latter record. Holst’s The Planets is also great for battle and dungeon ambiance.

Aside from musical ambiance, I keep the lighting dim and use a grid table, along with minis and homemade terrain to create a visual reference. Occasionally, I'll create props for use during the game as well, but I’ll keep this to a minimum due to my substantial lack of crafting skills. If the game calls for it, I sometimes make scrolls, burnt maps and similar items for my players. But on the overall, ambiance in my games is predominantly musical.

How about you, EN World? What do you do to set the right mood for your D&D, Pathfinder or other role-playing game sessions?

Contributed by David J. Buck (Nostalgia Ward) as part of the EN World (ENWC) program. When he isn’t learning to play or writing about RPGs, he can be found on Patreon or Twitter.

David J. Buck

David J. Buck

Sadras

Legend
Sometimes when the party come across an owlbear I might actually shout out "Wooot, wooot!"
From my experience it appears to surprise both characters and players.

practicalm

Explorer
Honestly, I've tried background music and I just find it a distraction from hearing other players. I agree it can bring a good amount of atmosphere but it never worked for me.

Zanzer Tem

First Post
Subscribe to Google Play Music or YouTube Red/Music -
I try to create playlists that match the story and can easily skip around tracks if the characters are all over the place.
Personal Favorites:
-Nox Arcana
-Derek & Brandon Fiechter
-Cryo Chamber
-Adrian Von Ziegler
-Midnight Syndicate

Koloth

First Post
Sound is only one part of setting the mode and I have found that sound loud enough to listen to often results in making the sessions harder to run. And if folks are listening to the music, they probably aren't listening to the game.

If it is a dedicated game area, pictures and posters and banners on the wall can help set a mode. Decorations picked up during Halloween close out sales are often useful. Lighting that lights up the table without shining in player's eyes can really help. Thematic candle holders are often cool. If cats or small children are involved, replace the candles with flickering LED fakes. Provide a set of mugs rather then players using Taco Bell cups. If it is a dedicated gaming table, refinish to resemble a worn tavern table.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
This article is an example of why one must be careful about including music in their campaign. I don't think I would enjoy playing in a game with the author's choice of music. I'm not knocking the author's taste in music--I like Zappa, but it would ruin immersion to have Zappa playing in the background. Actually, any music with words in a language I understand would be distracting. Playing old Nintendo-game music would be annoying. I don't think I could stay long at a table with that going on.

I've tried using music at my table, both Syrinscape and music playlists (Apple Music and then YouTube Music). Syrinscape is neat, but too fiddly for me as a DM. I would only use it if a player took on the game-DJ role. Also, I would likely NOT want to use the spell sound effects.

I found using the playlists on Apple Music or Youtube to work much better. There is a wealth of thematic background music one can use. I do think it can add something to the game as long as it is not too loud or otherwise distracting from game play.

As I get older, I am less impressed by attempts to create ambiance. I keep coming back to a more minimalist play style. The great thing about TTRPGs for me is that it exercises your imagination. The more props and special effects you add to it, to less your mind has to do. That's why I don't feel compelled to spend a fortune on ultra-realistic terrain. In terms of ambiance-creating gimmicks I've tried or have been subjected to, here are how I stand on them:

• Background music works best when it gets out of the way of your imagination.
  • Scented "gaming candles" can be interesting--at first, but you can't change scents as easy as music, making it hard to support scene changes with scents. Also, many people are sensitive to scented candles, so ask your players before lighting up candles.
  • Lighting. You'r playing a game not having a themed dinner party. Keep the lighting bright so people can easily read and write. If you play with digital devices, maybe this isn't as important, but I would think all the lit screens would ruin the effect of your ambient lighting anyway.
  • Digital aids. I will use RealmWorks and VTTs for showing maps but I rarely show pictures of NPCs, locations, etc. Usually I prefer good verbal descriptions.

For new DMs asking about all this stuff, I tell them to forget about it. Get the core rule books, and adventure they are interested in running, some dice, pencils, and character sheets. As for creating a good game ambiance, bring together a good group of players and the "ambiance" takes care of itself.

I found using the playlists on Apple Music or Youtube to work much better. There is a wealth of thematic background music one can use. I do think it can add something to the game as long as it is not too loud or otherwise distracting from game play.

What playlists would you recommend from Apple Music? I have found that there are a lot on Spotify, but not many on Apple music.

Remove ads

Remove ads