A 4E magic item conundrum

Falstaff

First Post
It is very important - IMO - that DMs follow the rules for Treasure Parcels. It sounds like your 2nd level characters were way behind the rules in regards to magic items.

I would say that your campaign takes precedence over any rules. It kind of depends on campaign feel and flavor, but most importantly on the players. If your players had to win those two items through tough adventures then giving out comparable items (and more of them) to new characters will cheapen the value of those items already won. If having X number of magic items is seen by the players as thier right rather than as a reward for successful adventures then magic items will generally have less value in the campaign ( not anything to do with gp here, I am talking about value as a resource). Dying can become the ultimate itemization reset button for players who are not satisfied with thier current gear.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It is very important - IMO - that DMs follow the rules for Treasure Parcels. It sounds like your 2nd level characters were way behind the rules in regards to magic items.

I'm curious. Why do you hold that opinion? I can't say sa I agree.

Falstaff

First Post
I'm curious. Why do you hold that opinion? I can't say sa I agree.

Hi Morrus,

I say that because it seems to me that the game designers have built the game's challenges (monsters, traps, etc) around the assumption of characters' power access (class powers, feats, magic items, etc.) based on character or party level.

A party of five second level characters is supposed to have - as a group - 1 level 5 magic item, 1 level 4 magic item, 1 level 3 magic item, and 1 level 2 magic item (plus some coins, gems, and maybe a potion or two).

This makes sure that those second level characters are prepared to take on higher level challenges.

It is my understanding that distribution of magic items as shown on the Treasure Parcel tables is very important to follow less the game becomes unbalanced.

Hi Morrus,

I say that because it seems to me that the game designers have built the game's challenges (monsters, traps, etc) around the assumption of characters' power access (class powers, feats, magic items, etc.) based on character or party level.

A party of five second level characters is supposed to have - as a group - 1 level 5 magic item, 1 level 4 magic item, 1 level 3 magic item, and 1 level 2 magic item (plus some coins, gems, and maybe a potion or two).

This makes sure that those second level characters are prepared to take on higher level challenges.

It is my understanding that distribution of magic items as shown on the Treasure Parcel tables is very important to follow less the game becomes unbalanced.

The way I see it is that it is the DM's job to balance encounters to suit the party that will face them and magic items is only one tool of many that can be used to do this. If the party has fewer magic items then the challenges that are designed should reflect that. There is also nothing wrong with giving out more magical goodies than the rules suggest as long as the encounters are adjusted for that. The itemization in the rulebook is merely a baseline to use for planning and can be altered to suit the tastes of any group.

Falstaff

First Post
The way I see it is that it is the DM's job to balance encounters to suit the party that will face them and magic items is only one tool of many that can be used to do this. If the party has fewer magic items then the challenges that are designed should reflect that. There is also nothing wrong with giving out more magical goodies than the rules suggest as long as the encounters are adjusted for that. The itemization in the rulebook is merely a baseline to use for planning and can be altered to suit the tastes of any group.

Sure, you can do it that way. But I still argue that the DMG doesn't explain the game that way. My suggestion - if you want to run a game that's easier to maintain - is to follow the guidelines as they're presented in the DMG.

If you reverse engineer Keep on the Shadowfell you'll see that the Treasure Parcel awards follow the DMG exactly.

I should mention that I realize there are a multitude of ways to re-interpret the rules, but I'm the kind of DM that follows the rules closely. I find that always make for a better game simply because I'm not clever enough to design game systems or have the time to playtest them as much as D&D's game system has been tested. I think it is a better game when played by the rules that have been playtested and designed by professional game designers.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I used to feel the same way, ie. that there should be a penalty for dying. But in recent years I've changed a lot of opinions, especially when it comes to RPG's and gaming.

So now I'm of the opinion that new characters start with exactly the XP and equipment values of the previous character. If there is any penalty, it's that the deceased's items go to his family, not the rest of the PC's.

Remove ads