Which Animals would you like to see in a PDF?

Which Animals would you like to see in a PDF?

• African Animals

Votes: 16 18.4%
  • Australian Animals

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • Asian Animals

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • European Animals

Votes: 13 14.9%
  • Ocean Animals

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • Fantasy Animals

Votes: 24 27.6%

cleavthorn

Explorer
Okay, I have to know. Animal Archives 1: North American Prehistoric Animals is out. AA2: South American Animals is coming soon. AA3 & 4 are also in the works. (One of those is North American Animals)

What type of animal archive would you like to see?

Last edited:

DMH

First Post
Ocean critters- but not just fish and squid. Echinoderms, crustaceans and polychaete worms all have interesting species that can be used in rpgs.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Really primitive animals. Late Permian for example. A mix of thecodonts, therapsids, and even late pelycosaurs and remnant labyrinthedonts.

Or the early Triassic. A time when the dinosaurs were just starting to appear, but had yet to win out over the therapsids and advanced thecodonts then 'running' the place.

A look at city animals would be nice. Not just rats, mice, and pigeons, but raccoons, possums, skunks, and birds of prey. (Peregrine Falcons were established in cities in a successful attempt to save them from extinction, while red-tailed hawks have taken up the urban life on their own.) In more open, suburban areas one could get bears, large cats, coyotes or other small canids, and even herd animals. Think of the adventure possibilities in running an animal control business.

"You say the basilisk has been under your porch for the last two hours. Well, we can't do anything about your dog, but we do know a reputable de-petrifier who can help you with your son. In any case, we'll be there soon to take it away. Just make sure none of the neighborhood boys try having a staring contest with it."

Actually, I would release them by terrain. Arctic, forest, jungle.

It would also be good to have them in both regular and stat-block format, with an option modern stat-block.

But that's just me...

DMH

First Post
I have another idea- fantasy domesticated animals. And not more forms of sheep, cattle and dogs. New sources of materials, alchemical bases, etc. Grazers that can survive in the harshest conditions (thus allowing ranching there). Pets. Domesticated fish and other non-mammals.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
DMH said:
I have another idea- fantasy domesticated animals...

I did something like that once. It started with a variant basilisk (a dromaesaurid) which I then divided into three genera. The pertinent species were commonly known as songbird basilisks, a number of which that could be raised as pets. Most popular being the canary basilisk, the raven balilisk, and the monkey basilisk. (The last an oddity among dinosaurs in that it more closely resembled a new world monkey than a bird.

It helped that these basilisks paralyzed instead of petrifying, and that in most cases the paralyzation was most effective on small, prey animals. Though there were exceptions.

"That, class, was a wren basilisk. So named because of its resemblance to the English wren. You'll note from Master Jone's condition that the wren basilisk's paralyzation gaze is quite effective. And that it can be brought into play very quickly when menaced by a predator.

"Fret not, this form of paralyzation largely affects the limb muscles, restricting movement. Respiration is not impacted. Though you've no doubt by now noted that Master Jones' control of excretory functions were."

Last edited:

DMH

First Post
mythusmage said:
I did something like that once. It started with a variant basilisk (a dromaesaurid) which I then divided into three genera.

That make me wonder if they ever converted the rhaumbusun (the tiny basilisk that only paralyze, not kill).

I also second the city animals idea. A look at animals after magic and evolution have changed them in urban environments would be interesting.

cleavthorn

Explorer
I appreciate your input! City animals, huh? I will think about these city animals...

I was also toying around with the idea of "planar animals" and such. :)

Incenjucar

Legend
Mammal-like reptiles are always a good idea. Just don't make the BAD mistake of calling a dimetrodon a dinosaur.

What's nice, they're generally not depicted as being as outright viscious as dinosaurs are, so you don't have to feel the urge to beef them up. They're just big scaly animals.

Remove ads