• Wizards

Votes: 71 40.8%
  • WotC

Votes: 83 47.7%
  • Janet -- Ms. Jackson if you're nasty

Votes: 20 11.5%

Tav_Behemoth

First Post
I've noticed that people who are or have been employees of Wizards of the Coast always refer to it as "Wizards". Other people tend to say "WotC", usually pronounced to rhyme with "Nazi".

Since picking up on this distinction, I find myself saying "Wizards" when I refer to the folks who make Magic and D&D and "WotC" when I talk about the subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc.

How about you?

Old Fezziwig

What this book presupposes is -- maybe he didn't?
I've always pronounced "WotC" as "Wizards of the Coast" -- it's just far quicker to type. They might also be pronouncing the acronym like that because of ROTC (which I've heard people pronounce "rotsee," although I've always said each letter for some reason).

Nick

Incenjucar

Legend
I type WotC and mean "Dubbayu Oh Tee See". Ironically, like EWJ for "Earthworm Jim", its more syllables, but it sounds better.

The problem with saying "Wizards" is that on these boards, most "Wizards" have spell casting slots, and that can make for a confusing read.

Yeah, Hitler always loved his dice games.

*blink*

I don't think 'Wotzi' is supposed to have Nazi-esque connotations. Although now we have a nice insult to use in case anyone at Wizards ever does turn evil. *grin*

Tav_Behemoth

First Post
Incenjucar said:
I type WotC and mean "Dubbayu Oh Tee See".

I was thinking about spoken conversation, but it does seem like there's a difference.

Writing "WotC" feels pretty value-neutral and it definitely makes it clearer what you're referring to than "Wizards".

Spoken aloud, it seems like I hear "wotcee" used in a derogatory way more often. Maybe this is just because fans love to complain (myself included), so any time I talk with folks I'm likely to more put-downs than praise :)

I might be getting this from a parallel to ROTC too - doesn't saying "arr oh tee cee" imply more respect, while "rotcee" is more of a perjorative?

talinthas

First Post
i dunno, i just say Wotsee because it rolls off the tounge better for me. Every now and then, i'm met with a blank stare, at which point i say wizards of the coast, but generally, it's wotsee for me.

Incenjucar

Legend
I almost always spell out Acronyms. Then again, I also pronounce communist as "Commune-ist", rather than "Commu-nist". I like my words to have original usage in'em.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases