Seeking advice on a Rogue character build

johnsemlak

First Post
OK, I need to create a Rogish PC of 10th level. However, I am allowed to have five Gestalt levels. AFter that I'll have to progress normally.

I'm looking for good classes to take with the Rogue duing the Gestalt levels. My immediate instint is Fighter, since the abilites seem to stack pretty well. ANy other thoughts?

Thanee

First Post
Fighter 4 / Ranger 1

or

Barbarian 1 / Fighter 4

or

Barbarian 1 / Ranger 2 / Fighter 2

Tho, I do not know how multiclassing really works with Gestalt, or if it is even possible to multiclass as a Gestalt character... it certainly doesn't feel entirely right to do so. :)

5 levels of Swashbuckler, Favored Soul, or Psychic Warrior could also be good.

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

johnsemlak

First Post
Thanee said:
Fighter 4 / Ranger 1

or

Barbarian 1 / Fighter 4

or

Barbarian 1 / Ranger 2 / Fighter 2

Tho, I do not know how multiclassing really works with Gestalt, or if it is even possible to multiclass as a Gestalt character... it certainly doesn't feel entirely right to do so. :)

5 levels of Swashbuckler, Favored Soul, or Psychic Warrior could also be good.

Bye
Thanee
Sorry, let me clarify.

The ideas would be to have 5 levels of Gestalt Figher/Rogue, followed by five levels of of normal progression in Rogue or a rogue-ish class.

So, I for my first 5 levels, AFAIK, I can take the best characteristics of each calss. So, as a Gestalt Fighter-Rogue, I'd get d10 HD, Figher BAB; Fighter feats, Rogue skill points; Good Reflex and Fortitude saves, etc.

It's not really muticlassing, though mixing Gestalt progression and normal progressions has some obvious confusion.

Thanee

First Post
I know what you meant...

But since the "Rogue half" is already fixed (Rogue 10), I only listed some options for the other half (which is limited to 5 levels). ;)

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
What I meant with the multiclassing problem is if you take multiple classes within one half of a Gestalt progression. :)

1: Rogue / Fighter - Full BAB (+1), good Fort, Ref (+2), d10 HP (max), 8+Int (x4) SP
2: Rogue / Wizard - 3/4 BAB (+1), good Ref, Will (+1), d6 HP, 8+Int SP
3: Rogue / Wizard - 3/4 BAB (+1), bad Fort (+1), d6 HP, 8+Int SP
4: Rogue / Wizard - 3/4 BAB (+1), good Ref, Will (+1), d6 HP, 8+Int SP
5: Rogue / Fighter - Full BAB (+1), d10 HP, 8+Int SP

or this

1: Wizard / Ranger - Full BAB (+1), good Fort, Ref, Will (+2), d8 HP (max), 6+Int (x4) SP
2: Wizard / Rogue - 3/4 BAB (+1), good Ref, Will (+1), d6 HP, 8+Int SP
3: Wizard / Rogue - 3/4 BAB (+1), bad Fort (+1), d6 HP, 8+Int SP
4: Wizard / Rogue - 3/4 BAB (+1), good Ref, Will (+1), d6 HP, 8+Int SP
5: Wizard / Fighter - Full BAB (+1), d10 HP, 2+Int SP

Do these characters really get a +5 BAB? This seems wrong to me somehow, especially the second. :)

I don't think it's much of a problem, tho, if you mix "warrior classes", as in the examples in my post above.

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

johnsemlak

First Post
Thanee said:
I know what you meant...

But since the "Rogue half" is already fixed (Rogue 10), I only listed some options for the other half (which is limited to 5 levels). ;)

Bye
Thanee
Ooops, sorry

johnsemlak

First Post
OK, It appears I'll jsut go for 5 Fighter levels, plus 10 Rogue Levels.

I'm doing the feat build. I've given myself 20 Dex and only 12 Str, so I figure it makes sense to concentrate on ranged attacks, though I'll use Weapon finesse to make melee attacks worthwhile. Does this make sense.

Here's the feats I've selectd as of now. I'm going on the logic that feats that improve rogue skills aren't really worth it; best to take combat feats and improve my sneak attack ability.

Feats: 8 (3 Fighter Feats)
Weapon Focus: Longbow
Point Blank Shot
Improved Initiative
Rapid Shot
Weapon Finess
Weapon Specialization: Longbow
Exotic Weapon Proficiency--Bola
Precise Shot
+ 1 remaining feat???

Any ideas on the last one? Have I missed something? I `could take Manyshot but belief is it doesn't really improve archery; it just gives anohter way to fire more arrows.

Thanee

First Post
Manyshot is a prerequisite for Improved Rapid Shot. :)

You could get those two, if you drop one other, like the EWP (bola), you still need to make those Trip checks and with such a low Strength...

Bye
Thanee

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
If you want to capitalize on your sneak attacks, I'd suggest gestalting with wizard so you can cast invisibility and blink. Cleric of Trickery would also get you Invisibility in a pinch.

-blarg

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Can you take different combos of gestalt classes for those five gestalt levels? If so I'd go

Rogue/Wizard
Rogue/Wizard
Rogue/Wizard
Rogue/Fighter
Rogue/Fighter

Then 5 levels of rogue. The wizard gets you 2nd-level spells (Invisibility), a good will save, plus the ability to use wizzy items without a UMD check. Fighter gets you 2 feats. Rogue gets you sneak attack and a truckload of skill points.

Remove ads