Stat yourself... Off topic?? dunno.

paradox42

First Post
I've taken some of those online tests, though I don't remember the exact results at this point. Maybe they're floating around on one of these threads somewhere. I'll also mention that once, for personal amusement, I went to the trouble of figuring out what level a d20 Modern character would have to be to have all the talents I know I have, and it came out to something like 12th. The big surprise for me was that most of my levels were in Dedicated Hero rather than Smart Hero, when I'd always considered myself more "intelligent" than "wise."

Alignment is easiest- every single test I take pegs me squarely and staunchly as Chaotic Good. Also, in reading the D&D alignment descriptions, the only ones that don't ruffle my feathers reading them are CG, NG, and CN- the Lawfuls in particular usually make me grit my teeth and seethe with frustration or rage thinking about them. :) I HATE HATE HATE oppression of any sort.

For my stats, I'd go with:
STR 8- I'm definitely slightly below average in this department. Trying to change that, but it's slow going. My high metabolism has always made it difficult for me to gain muscle.
DEX 14- I'm no juggler, but I'm also very agile, capable of sneaking up on people pretty easily, and can slip through crowds and closing doors with ease that other people draw up short before even attempting. Also, I move much faster than the norm; in D&D terms my base walking speed (as I can attest, from recent treadmill exercise) is 45- 4.5 miles per hour. As a final tip to consider, the d20 Modern thing made me add a couple of levels in Fast Hero to get the speed-increase talents.
CON 16- Though I do get sick once every year or two, the symptoms are typically mild enough that I don't need to stay home to heal up. Also, my tolerance for pain is quite high, particularly in my head and feet- I once had a horse step on my foot, and was walking around within a minute or two; head-wise, I've banged it several times hard enough to produce an audible crack that made other people gasp/wince without it significantly impairing me. Also, though I can get a buzz from drinking alcohol, it's very rare that drinking causes me to lose my balance or have trouble seeing.
INT 16 or 18- depending upon whether one measures by the IQ/10 rule, or by the percentiles/standard deviations rule. I'm roughly in the 1/100000 range, in terms of percentages, but the one time I took a real IQ test graded and watched by a psychiatrist it came up between 160 and 170 (he never actually told me a specific number). I do have an eidetic memory, and don't often forget things unless it's deliberate.
WIS 15- The tests I've taken online invariably indicate a WIS score at least this high, and the fact that most of my d20 Modern levels are in Dedicated Hero says a lot. I do have very high willpower, and am pretty much impossible to intimidate, though that doesn't mean I won't back out of a losing/dangerous confrontation if I have the opportunity.
CHA 15- I'm a fairly handsome guy (one advantage to being gay is you can judge your own attractiveness), and am generally capable of charming people into liking me on a first meeting if I want to do so. I'm also a fairly accomplished liar (high Bluff skill ranks), and can act reasonably well in the theatrical sense although I've only been in one "professional"-level production- the lead Lost Boy in one of the productions of Peter Pan put on by the Grand Rapids (Michigan) Civic Theater.

In terms of D&D race, if not Human I'd likely end up an Elf or Half-Elf- my temperament suits them perfectly. Class-wise, since I've done plenty of mystical/occult reading and exploration in real life, the obvious class is Wizard. Assuming I'm multiclass, the secondary would likely be Rogue, with a slim chance of Bard. If I'm allowed to keep my d20 Modern levels for this, that would make me (probably) a Wizard 9/Rogue 3.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to Teleport myself off to bed. :p

Goblyn

Explorer
On a scale of 1 to cool, I still rate a super-awesome.

DnD stats?

Str 11
Dex 14
Con 14
Int 11
Wis 14
Cha 10

hm. 26 via point buy. Don't think I'll go adventuring.

Blue Sky

Explorer
Interesting...

human expert 3

Str 18 - I can pretty easily walk around with a couple of people on my shoulders.

Dex 7 - I'm a clutz. I trip over my shoes.

Con 6 - Used to be higher, but now I have a really bad heart. Like, die by 40 bad.

Int 18 - I was in the 99.9th percentile in school.

Wis 8 - I have really bad common sense.

Cha 7 - I had to work really hard to be a charming guy (Damn Aspergers!). Thus, low charisma, high skill points.

caudor

Adventurer
Here's goes:

STR 9 - I'm on the bottom side of average
CON 5 - If someone throws up, I throw up
DEX 10- Average
WIS 14- I listen to a lot of Tony Robbins :)
INT 13- IQ divided by 10
CHA 9- I'm a typical jolly fat guy. No beard though, and good hygiene

Obrysii

First Post
Str 8 -- I'm just weak
Dex 6 -- Poor sense of balance, low hand-eye coordination
Con 14 -- I don't get sick
Int 14 -- Assuming 1 point of Int = 10 IQ points
Wis 12 -- I seem at times wise beyond my years but I am still dumb enough to make silly mistakes
Cha 6 -- I have very low self-confidence.

pawsplay

Hero
Machiavelli said:
Get over yourselves.

I'm always baffled by this reaction. For every 12 Int there is, someone else has an 8. Simply being in generally good health, having a solid college education, a significant number of friends, and pretty good driving skills probably rates straight 12s, considering the strictly average person is not in great health, is not a very good driver, can't remember anything they studied in high school, regularly misses social cues, and is timid enough to be bullied into nearly anything.

Arguably, anyone who was ever in the "out" crowd in high school and did not compromise their identity probably has a base Will save of at least +2, Iron Will, or a pretty good Wisdom.

Someone with Int 12 is not likely to throw away an iron skillet at Taco Cabana that had food on it. Someone with Int and Wis 10 is somewhat likely to do so, or they wouldn't have a sign up telling you not to do so.

Someone with a 10 Intelligence is halfway between an above average student who is college bound and a below average student who struggles to graduate high school.

I've regularly played in gaming groups whose tested and retested IQ and SAT scores, statistically speaking, would all rate 17 or higher, mostly 18s, and who have over the years demonstrated the ability to accumulate many skill ranks in a very short period of time.

Simply being able to log onto the Internet and post here probably rates an averate Int of 12 or so. Sure, there are some 10s and maybe even some 8s here and about, but there are plenty of 14s and 16s, too.

There are plenty of Charisma 12+ types here, too... keep in mind how many Cha 8 people you see on a regular basis ineffectually railing at people just doing their jobs or causing people not to sit next to them in class. For every Cat Piss Man who hangs out at a gaming store somewhere, somewhere else there is the guy with the natural 18.

The "average" person is not a "typical" one at all, because people with very high ability scores would tend to be successful or liked in some fashion, whereas people with very low ones are often marginalized. Someone with a Charisma of 3 probably doesn't leave their house on a daily basis. Someone with a Constitution of 3 does not go to a burger joint for lunch. Someone with an intelligence of 3 probably doesn't have a driver's license or perhaps even a job.

You probably don't game with lots of people with very low Int, Cha, and perhaps Wis. That doesn't mean gamers have unviersally high scores in those stats, but since the group is skewed upwards, you will have (on average) somewhat higher scores and perhaps exceptional numbers of very high scores. Str, Dex, and Con, however, should approximate a normal curve. That seems to be consistent with what's been posted in this tread; Str, Dex, and Con have been posted anywhere from 7 to 18. I could easily believe the scores posted were rolled on 3d6.

Jeremy757

First Post
Human Male (Lawful Good)

Str 15
I'm stronger then most of the people I know, which is probably a good thing since Im a supervisor in shipping and recieving.

Dex 7
Im quite the klutz, have fallen down stairs three different times, and have broken tons of things (that weren't me) from tripping, bumping or falling into them.

Con 16
With the exception of the yearly sinusitis, I almost never get sick, I have never broken anything on my body all though I probably should have. I have had kidney stones twice and thought they were no big deal.

Int 14
I have a B.S. from Texas A&M University at Commerce, a nerdish knowledge of American and European history, a love of reading non-fiction, and an IQ of 140.

Wis 12
I have a great deal of common sense and intuition, but not a lot of strength in the willpower area.

Cha 10
I can be rather stoic and lost in my own thoughts. Yet I can be pretty good with the ladies. So I am rather average in this area.

Im propably a 4 or 5 level expert. Im a well rounded person with knowledge in many areas, including printing, typesetting, desktop publishing, graphic design, history, and many more.

Technik4

First Post
Human Male

Str 11 (Stronger than the average bear, but don't work out)
Dex 12 (Fast typer, good at videogames, used to play ultimate frisbee regularly)
Con 13 (Rarely get sick, hate taking medicine, never broken a bone, stoic)
Int 14 (Smarter than most people I've met, yet not really smart enough for Mensa)
Wis 9 (Wear Glasses, pretty bad at perceiving things in the moment (Hindsight is 20/20 though))
Cha 10 (I'd probably be higher with more self-esteem)

Feats: Lightning Reflexes (I'm pretty good at videogames, avoiding being hit in dodgeball, and taking half damage from fireballs), Magical Aptitude (Unfortunately I'm kinda introverted so it has yet to come up).

I'm a level 3 Wizard who never had a spellbook and so I can't cast spells. I don't have the gold to write any scrolls and if I had a familiar it took off years ago in disgust. More than a few people have said I remind them of wizards. I like to read books, feel superior to other people, and dream of my own supremacy, yet I'm self-deprecating enough to contradict myself in the same breath.

I'd peg my alignment at a solid True Neutral, but friends have told me I'm Lawful Neutral, Chaotic Good, Neutral Good, and Lawful Good (dorky friends eh?). I was in the military (Lawful), but also got out after 4 years. I am too lazy to strictly follow every law, and don't really care (Evil). I generally try to help other people and used to be a rather devout Christian (Good). I frequently move, haven't done my state taxes for the last 5 years, and generally argue against corporations and government in casual conversation (Chaotic).

Arkhandus

First Post
Yeah, pawsplay has it right. EN Worlders are, on average, slightly above the average curve of mental stats. Gamers in general are typically decent to superb in terms of intellect, and run the gamut when it comes to wisdom and charisma, mainly because we're often geeks or the like rather than folks who make a living as nothing more than high-school graduates (or dropouts).

And with the number of really, really smart people I've seen posting here (and really wise or really charismatic folks), I'm very much inclined to expect the typical EN World poster to have stats of 12 on average. Not everyone posts a lot in the General forum, y'know, and EN World has many other forums where the smart folks tend to congregate online.

Also, some folks here seem to be forgetting that D&D assumes the average Medieval commoner to have stats of 8 or 10 on average. Modern folks are generally better educated, raised in healthier conditions, provided some modicum of exercise during their entire childhood, and have access to broader opportunities than the average Medieval peasant stuck in the horrible, filthy, unfortunate rut that their family has been in for generations because of some noble's dictates and force of knights to maintain them.

The average modern person is smarter and healthier than the average D&D fellow. Ergo, the average modern person has stats that average an 11 or so, varying with wealth (the wealthier folks who maintain some motivation for success, as opposed to the idle rich, may average a 12 or 13 thanks to the resources at their disposal, to develop their physique or mental faculties as far as they're naturally able).

Also: keep in mind that the average gamer does not post at EN World. Most do not, and instead the typical EN World poster is someone of very decent or good mental faculties. Many average gamers may be lurkers here, but most of us that post on a frequent basis are reasonably smart or reasonably well motivated (so very unlikely to be unintelligent dopes). I have a high opinion of most EN Worlders because I know they're generally decent folks or at least fairly intelligent in most cases. Joe Average doesn't bother posting on the internet about his occasional hobby, and Joe Average isn't a geek or gamer. Joe Gamer doesn't post much to the internet about his geeky hobby, and probably spends more time playing video games or computer games. Joe EN Worlder posts frequently or semi-frequently and is really interested in his geeky hobby, spending more time than most gamers on actually thinking about and discussing the game, and spending less time on actually playing video/computer games (and this applies for posters on some other internet forums of course, though not all).

robberbaron

First Post
STR 13
DEX 14
CON 10
INT 15
WIS 10 (maybe even 8)
CHA I'd like to think around 14 (don't have any enemies - of which I'm aware - and make friends fairly easily).

Don't think I'd have the patience for magical study so I'd have to be a Ftr/Rog.

Remove ads