Kevin Smith does Star Wars on the small screen...

John Crichton said:
I'm keeping the fingers crossed but not holding my breath.

Something about that expression amuses me highly. I imagine you also patting your head and rubbing your belly, but not looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Anyway, I like Kevin Smith, but what examples of serious storytelling do we have from him. I haven't seen Chasing Amy, so the next closest is Dogma. Which is actually a really good movie. So yeah, I trust Kevin Smith to spin us a good yarn of a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, even if Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back was a little lumpy.

John Crichton

First Post
RangerWickett said:
Something about that expression amuses me highly. I imagine you also patting your head and rubbing your belly, but not looking a gift horse in the mouth.
I'm also burning my candle at both ends while not assuming. :)

RangerWickett said:
Anyway, I like Kevin Smith, but what examples of serious storytelling do we have from him. I haven't seen Chasing Amy, so the next closest is Dogma. Which is actually a really good movie. So yeah, I trust Kevin Smith to spin us a good yarn of a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, even if Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back was a little lumpy.
I was thinking more of the comics he has written more than his feature films. Chasing Amy would be the best example of his storytelling put to film followed closely by Dogma.

Additionally, it sounds like he would be the showrunner (writing/directing an ep here and there, Whedon-style). That would mean that others would be doing the writing but he would make sure it was fluid and had internal consistancy. Not to mention a few rewrites and script doctorings.

And remember, a stitch in time...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
John Crichton said:
Star Wars out of the hands of Lucas and in the hands of someone who can really write dialogue.

I like Kevin Smith, but I honestly don't think he writes "good dialog". He writes good banter. He writes good expository speeches. Dut dialog - as in a discussion between two people - he isn't so good at. He's good at putting a character's viewpoints into words, but he does so in an implausible manner. Real people do not talk like characters in Smith movies.

John Crichton

First Post
Umbran said:
I like Kevin Smith, but I honestly don't think he writes "good dialog". He writes good banter. He writes good expository speeches. Dut dialog - as in a discussion between two people - he isn't so good at. He's good at putting a character's viewpoints into words, but he does so in an implausible manner. Real people do not talk like characters in Smith movies.
I agree to a point. His style has evolved over the years and if you reference his better narrative work (Daredevil run, Chasing Amy, Jersey Girl) the interactions become "real" in their own little world because everyone talks that way. And for banter, Star Wars is all about banter. :)

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Well, he's no Tarentino or Mamet (which I think would fall under Umbran's umbrella). I really think it isn't very tough to write dialog along the order of SW-speak. It's all pretty straightforward an expository. A lot of "(They) just did (that)!" and "Then (we)'ll have to do (this)...quickly!" and "I'm going to do (this) because they did (that!)" and, of course, "I'm getting a bad feeling about this..."

qstor

Adventurer
I think its just a rumor at this point. I doubt that Lucas will turn it over to Kevin Smith. I'm sure some of the people that worked on Young Indiana Jones with Lucas will be involved or some people that 20th century Fox picks.

Mike

John Crichton

First Post
qstor said:
I think its just a rumor at this point.
Of course. That's the fun of it. The speculation. :)

qstor said:
I doubt that Lucas will turn it over to Kevin Smith. I'm sure some of the people that worked on Young Indiana Jones with Lucas will be involved or some people that 20th century Fox picks.
I think the chances are slim as well, but you never know. I doubt Smith would be given complete control either way. There would be reps from Lucasfilms on board at all times.

Chun-tzu

First Post
I guess I'm too cynical about George Lucas' judgment these days, but I don't see it happening. Kevin Smith is too hip and edgy to be the guy. Star Wars has, unfortunately, gone the opposite direction, becoming more Disneyesque (I wish that were a good thing). For example, Kevin's had gay characters in all of his work, hasn't he? I can't imagine Star Wars (or Star Trek, for that matter) ever allowing an openly gay character. Hence, the decline of both Star Wars and Star Trek, in my book. Too mainstream, too afraid to skirt the edge even a little.

Kevin would be a good choice from the fan's perspective, but studio types don't think like we do.

Taelorn76

First Post
IIRC. The only one of his Movies with a Gay lead character was Chasing Amy. And even if had written in gay characters for all his movies, it doesn't mean he has to write one into Star Wars.

Remove ads