Kevin Smith does Star Wars on the small screen...

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
John Crichton said:
IF the movie does well?

I'm not saying it's going to break records or anything but even the jaded Star Wars fans will be seeing it.
Maybe that was a bit strange for me to say...I do assume it will do well, like me, I will be seeing it too ;). Ah, a faus paus for me :D.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Black Omega said:
I'd rather see JMS do a Star Wars series then Kevin Smith, it would add a strong epic nature to the series. But then, I'm not much of a Kevin Smith fan, to be honest.
Babylon 5 was his version of Star Wars, in that it's epic space opera.

There's zero chance of a team-up between them though... JMS always demands to have total control, and Lucas never gives up control. It would be a disaster from the first moment.

Chun-tzu

First Post
Taelorn76 said:
IIRC. The only one of his Movies with a Gay lead character was Chasing Amy. And even if had written in gay characters for all his movies, it doesn't mean he has to write one into Star Wars.

I vaguely remember reading an interview with Kevin Smith, where he talked about how he wrote gay characters or at least talking about homosexuality into nearly everything. In Dogma, for example, Bethany's friend asks if she's considered going lesbian, and Rufus' revelation about Jay puts Jay's sexuality into question. In Kevin's Green Arrow story arc, there's a prominent gay character (who turns out to not actually be gay). I'm sure there are a hundred more examples.

Why does Smith do this? To make a statement? No, I think it's just part of life in the 21st century, and it's something he incorporates instead of ignores.

Sure, he doesn't _need_ to write any gay characters or material into Star Wars. But I'd bet you dollars to donuts that he'd be forbidden to do so, and that even if he got this gig, they'd put a lot of restrictions on what he was allowed to write about. And that's unlikely to result in anything good. Action/adventure isn't Smith's strong point. He's proven he can do it, as in Green Arrow, but his best work is marked by character stuff and a willingness to explore taboo topics like sexuality and religion. He wouldn't be allowed to do that in Star Wars.

John Crichton said:
Of course, Star Wars had nothing like sexual attraction between siblings or anything.

LOL. Good one. You've got me there!
:lol:

myrdden

First Post
I haven't got an opinion one way or another on Smith taking the helm for a small screen version of SW. But I am uncertain how well SW would translate to the small screen.

CrusaderX

First Post
Chun-tzu said:
Sure, he doesn't _need_ to write any gay characters or material into Star Wars. But I'd bet you dollars to donuts that he'd be forbidden to do so, and that even if he got this gig, they'd put a lot of restrictions on what he was allowed to write about. And that's unlikely to result in anything good. Action/adventure isn't Smith's strong point. He's proven he can do it, as in Green Arrow, but his best work is marked by character stuff and a willingness to explore taboo topics like sexuality and religion. He wouldn't be allowed to do that in Star Wars.

Thank the maker!

Sibling-attraction nonwithstanding, that stuff doesn't belong in Star Wars.

Chun-tzu

First Post
CrusaderX said:
Thank the maker!

Sibling-attraction nonwithstanding, that stuff doesn't belong in Star Wars.

Take away ALL of Kevin Smith's mature content, and what have we got? The Clerks cartoon was pretty good, though.

Starman

Adventurer
myrdden said:
I haven't got an opinion one way or another on Smith taking the helm for a small screen version of SW. But I am uncertain how well SW would translate to the small screen.

I think in the right hands, it would translate very well. It'd be just like the old pulp serials!

Starman

CrusaderX

First Post
Starman said:
I think in the right hands, it would translate very well. It'd be just like the old pulp serials!

Bingo! That's exactly the type of feel that a Star Wars TV show should have, IMO. Here's hoping they actually go in that direction.

John Crichton

First Post
LightPhoenix said:
Babylon 5 was his version of Star Wars, in that it's epic space opera.

There's zero chance of a team-up between them though... JMS always demands to have total control, and Lucas never gives up control. It would be a disaster from the first moment.
It is quite possible that this is the first thing you and I have ever agreed on. JMS is a talented dude but him on Star Wars? No thanks. Give him some cash to make his own TV show (again). I'll watch that. Something based off Rising Stars maybe...

:)

Remove ads