Kevin Smith does Star Wars on the small screen...

John Crichton

First Post
Chun-tzu said:
I vaguely remember reading an interview with Kevin Smith, where he talked about how he wrote gay characters or at least talking about homosexuality into nearly everything. In Dogma, for example, Bethany's friend asks if she's considered going lesbian, and Rufus' revelation about Jay puts Jay's sexuality into question. In Kevin's Green Arrow story arc, there's a prominent gay character (who turns out to not actually be gay). I'm sure there are a hundred more examples.

Why does Smith do this? To make a statement? No, I think it's just part of life in the 21st century, and it's something he incorporates instead of ignores.

Sure, he doesn't _need_ to write any gay characters or material into Star Wars. But I'd bet you dollars to donuts that he'd be forbidden to do so, and that even if he got this gig, they'd put a lot of restrictions on what he was allowed to write about. And that's unlikely to result in anything good. Action/adventure isn't Smith's strong point. He's proven he can do it, as in Green Arrow, but his best work is marked by character stuff and a willingness to explore taboo topics like sexuality and religion. He wouldn't be allowed to do that in Star Wars.
I really not worried about it. And if you watch/read his stuff it's not like it's the focus, in bad taste or childish in any way. It's just part of life and he chooses not to ignore it. Now, I also happen to think that if given any control over Star Wars that he would tone it back a bit. But remember that with TV you can do alot more with characters because you have more time to flesh them out.

Chun-tzu said:
LOL. Good one. You've got me there!
:lol:
I try, man. I try. :)

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
This is mentioned on the VA website. There is says, unofficially, if it happened KS would probably just work on an episode or two in some capacity and not run the entire program.

I do wonder what format this new show will take, episodic or antholoy.

reanjr

First Post
I'm just imagining the conversation between Solo and Greedo if Smith had written it. They would have bantered for about 20 minutes before either one of them (doesn't matter which) fired.

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
reanjr said:
I'm just imagining the conversation between Solo and Greedo if Smith had written it...

And as he lay dying, Greedo would totally have said “I’m not even supposed to be here today!” And 3PO would have cursed a lot.

Last edited:

John Crichton

First Post
The Grumpy Celt said:
And as he lay dying, Greedo would totally have said “I’m not even supposed to be here today!” And 3PO would have cursed a lot.
Actually, speaking of 3PO and saying there were no gay sentient lifeforms in Star Wars...

Aris Dragonborn

First Post
reanjr said:
He's sentient. He's certainly gay. But is he a lifeform?
If I remember correctly, droids register in the Force, so that probaly qualifies C-3PO as a lifeform.
And for the record, 3PO wasn't gay. He was prissy, as any good protocol droid would be.

And as for the SW TV series, HELL YEAH! Kevin Smith is a huge fan, and I don't think he would write like he does for his View Askewniverse. He would want to do it justice, so the fans wouldn't feel let down. I think every SW fan out there has waited for something like this. After all, we've had Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica (Three seperate series now), and Star Trek( let's see, 10 or so movies, and at least five seperate series. I think it's SW's turn).
My vote for the pilot episode or season would have to be the Heir to the Empire Trilogy, or the X-Wing books (with the added bonus of possibly having Mike Stackpole consulting on the series to make sure everything goes smoothly).

(pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease don't let this be a rumor. If all else fails, we could always get a petition going to make a series, send it to Mr. Lucas, and hope he sees the light.)

John Crichton

First Post
Aris Dragonborn said:
And for the record, 3PO wasn't gay. He was prissy, as any good protocol droid would be.
Actually, the deleted scenes in the to-be-released on HD-DVD in 2008 verify 3PO's non-translating desires and tendancies. Something about a suprised Obi-wan turning a corner and flinching out, "Curious. I didn't know protocal droids interfaced in quite that way."

Remove ads