How strong is Aquaman?

taitzu52

First Post
I don't care how strong he is. I'm still pissed off that when I was a kid, I got lame old Aquaman Underoos instead of getting a REAL superhero.

TZ

Man-thing

First Post
From Who's Who:

Aquaman has the ability to directly communicate with most sea life. He is the only Atlantean possessing this trait. This telepathic power varies with the creature he is communicating with: for instance, a guppy will react as if it was given a command, but a dolphin may argue with him. He cannot make any creature do anything against its nature. Aquaman can receive thoughts within certain intelligence levels. Mostly he has the ability to sense primal emotions.
Aquaman can swim underwater over 87 n/mph (nautical miles per hour) or approximately 100 mph, slightly less on top of the water. Because of his dense body structure, Aquaman can withstand great pressure and changes in temperature. On land, Aquaman is much stronger than average humans, but his strength diminishes the longer he stays out of water. Under average conditions, Aquaman is at peak strength for about an hour, after two hours he is very weak, and will drop into a coma and be near death at the end of three hours. He is able to survive longer in a tropical rain forest than in a desert. To replenish himself, Aquaman must "breathe" water. This means anything from a quick shower to a long swim.

I would have to say about 2.

He should not be as strong as the current Disassembled Spider-man
He should easily be as strong as Wolverine or stronger.

Regardless he's still a loser.

CrusaderX

First Post
I found it funny that Aquaman has always been one of the "Big 7" in the Justice League, yet was replaced by Hawkgirl in the Cartoon Network show. Hawgirl is cool, but since they wanted more females on the team, they should have just created a new and interesting Aquagirl. Make her super-strong, give her a trident that enables her to fly and shoot energy blasts, and make her sassy and sexy (well, as sexy as a Cartoon Network superheroine can be), and the Aquaman mythos would have been well represented. Arthur could still make appearances on the show, retired as a superhero but still ruling Atlantis as its king.

Richards

Legend
*covers Eric's Grandma's eyes*

Don't click on Piratecat's link, ma'am! It's got some nasty language not in keeping with the normal EN World rules about posting links to other websites! I don't know what that silly moderator was thinking!"

Regardless of its appropriateness here, though, Seanbaby's Superfriends site is hilarious. Just as long as you know what you're getting into ahead of time.

Johnathan

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
JackGiantkiller said:
I like the new JLU Aquaman..who seems to be behind Supes and WW in Str, but ahead of everyone else. Plus, he's much cooler.
That's the Peter David revamped Aquaman. It's been the mainstream version of him
throughout the 90s, or until very recently when Rich Veitch re-revamped him (and
he then got re-re-revamped by Will Pfiefer 12 issues later).

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Man-thing said:
He should not be as strong as the current Disassembled Spider-man
He should easily be as strong as Wolverine or stronger.

Aquaman should definitely be stronger than Spider-Man. Most estimates I've seen place him in the 60 ton range, while Spidey is only in the 10 ton range. He's definitely stronger than Wolvie, but not as strong as Namor.

In any case, it's hard to gauge Marvel vs. DC characters, as on average, DC characters are much more powerful than Marvel characters. That has always been the case, and in fact, is one of the reasons Marvel comics were created in the first place, as their emphasis was to create more "believable" and "like human" characters, as opposed to legendary beings.

Klaus

First Post
Aquaman reallt needs to get rid of that silly water hand.

Grant Morrison wrote him best in JLA. IMHO, King Arthur (aka Aquaman) would be the one hero destined to rule the united Earth, seeing as he already rule 2/3 of it and, as Morrison said, his territory surrounds every single nation on the planet.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Don't want to beat a dead horse but can someone give me a quick run down on the different changes?

I know he lost the hand to some dude who ate it.

I know the water hand is tied into some new story arc their going into.

Has anything signifigant changed since then?

Remove ads