How strong is Aquaman?

Lord Pendragon

First Post
mr_outsidevoice said:
It sets the world up as real, and it creates a believable scenario. I have no clue where Gotham, Metropolis, Opal City, Fawcet City, or Bludhaven are. I know where Sandiego is. I've been there. that adds more "punch" to the story.
I agree with Viking. Using a real place just reminds me that the comic isn't real. I can engage my suspension of disbelief to easily buy into Metropolis, Gotham City, or Coast City, but when you start telling me Aquaman is the policeman of an underwater San Diego, you've lost me.

Klaus

First Post
Let's not forget the Topeka, Kansas bit in OWAW.

It was different from the Australia attack on Invasion!, because the heroes were shown helping rebuild the country in the aftermath of the invasion. It was a bit of a drift from reality, but status quo was restored (as it should be when events involve real places, or else disbelief spreads).

And hey, who remembers that the DC Earth has a mutual protection pact with Daxam?

:)

And my favorite bit is how some fans figured out Superman's age in the comics:

- Let's assume Pete Ross and Clark Kent are the same age;
- Pete runs for Vice-President alongside Lex Luthor;
- Minimum age for VP is 35; We'll assume he barely qualifies at 35.
- Pete served a 4-year term;
- Pete and Clark are 39 years old.

Psychic Warrior

First Post
Cthulhudrew said:
The only thing I'm aware of is that San Diego sank into the sea and is now under Aquaman's protection as Sub Diego.

Please tell me you are joking.
:\

On a related note (well not really but I feel likeposting it) my brother-in-law constantly makes fun of Marvel for having low powered superheroes and villians (guys like Hawkeye for example). He really seems blind to the vast fields of stupid characters on both sides of the fence.

But he sure does love those Marvel superhero movies :p

JoeGKushner

First Post
Psychic Warrior said:
Please tell me you are joking.
:\

On a related note (well not really but I feel likeposting it) my brother-in-law constantly makes fun of Marvel for having low powered superheroes and villians (guys like Hawkeye for example). He really seems blind to the vast fields of stupid characters on both sides of the fence.

But he sure does love those Marvel superhero movies :p

At least Marvel was brave enough to give us Scourge! Too bad that storyline passed before it could start on the lame heroes!

Ubertroy

First Post
Over the years, I've heard three theories:

1. Aquaman is super strong, strong enough to punch holes in oil tankers and throw around blue whales. His physical strength rivals that of Wonder Woman or Superman.

2. Aquaman is remarkably strong, but not in the same league as WW or Supes. His strength rivals Spiderman or Wolverine.

3. Aquaman is a guy who can breathe underwater and isn't superstrong at all. In fact, he's a pussy.

What's the truth?
/
/
Aquaman has long been overlooked by writers who write inconsistent stories. In the past 20 years he has been written well, as opposed to years before when he often took a back seat to other more popular characters.

As he is currently and usually written, Aquaman would be somewhere between your 1 and 2. He's not as strong as Superman or Wonder Woman but he's clearly stronger than Spiderman. This is how it should be when you consider that he lives in the ocean. DC usually lists him at weighing abound 325 lbs., which again makes sense. He would have to be dense to live in the pressures of the deep.

Aquaman is not quite as strong as Marvel's Namor but if you go by Marvel's "Class 100" chart, he would be just below the 100 ton range. The Marvel chart is not very consistent though. This is because writers keep ramping up the HULK's strength and power levels. Now they have him breathing under water. It's as ridiculous as pre-chrisis Superman.

Scorpio616

First Post
I like the notion of Aquaman is super strong in water, only remarkably strong out of the water. I like what DCAU did with Arthur / Aquaman. Not much else has come close IMHO.

Remove ads