How strong is Aquaman?

Sebastian Francis

First Post
Over the years, I've heard three theories:

1. Aquaman is super strong, strong enough to punch holes in oil tankers and throw around blue whales. His physical strength rivals that of Wonder Woman or Superman.

2. Aquaman is remarkably strong, but not in the same league as WW or Supes. His strength rivals Spiderman or Wolverine.

3. Aquaman is a guy who can breathe underwater and isn't superstrong at all. In fact, he's a pussy.

What's the truth?

CrusaderX

First Post
2. Aquaman is remarkably strong, but not in the same league as WW or Supes. His strength rivals Spiderman or Wolverine.

I dunno about Aquaman, but Spidey can lift 10 tons. Wolverine, on the other hand, has no superhuman strength at all. Wolvie simply has peak human strength for a human of his height and weight.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
As far as I know, Aquaman is superhumanly strong, but not on the level of WW or Supes. From what I recall, it's due to his physiology. You have to be very dense and strong to withstand the pressures of living at the bottom of the ocean.

I'd put him between 1 and 2. Not up to Supes level of strength, but more than Spidey. Though that's just me guessing, I don't really know what the true 'truth' of it is.

Klaus

First Post
Aquaman is about as strong as SpiderMan, which also allows him to leap a considerable distance (although less than the Hulk-leaps).

His skin is also about as hard to pierce as steel, capable of withstanding the pressure of the ocean floor.

His swim speed is remarkable, faster than any known sea vessel.

He can see in the darkness and his hearing is capable of detecting subsonics.

His ability to talk to marine creatures is limited by said creature's intelligence (dolphins and whales can relate much, but sharks tend to forget what they talked about a couple of minutes ago).

Since all living creatures on Earth evolved from the sea, they all carry similar brain patterns at some primitive level. Aquaman can push his telepathy into influencing this sections of the brain.

Staffan

Legend
Piratecat said:
Aquaman being relatively strong (about 2, iirc) is not mutually exclusive with him being a wuss. :)
The best description of a special ability EVAH is the description of Water Breathing from Marvel Super Heroes, Advanced Set:
This is a wimp Power. Face it. When the great hero parties take place, and Ulterior-Motive Man asks you what you do, if you say, "I breathe water" you end up wearing a full fishbowl.

Geoff Watson

First Post
It depends on the writer; whether the writer has bothered to flip through previous issues; and mainly, what strength does he need for the current plot/scene.

Marvel is very rarely consistent.

Geoff.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Geoff Watson said:
Marvel is very rarely consistent.

Which just goes to show how incredibly powerful Marvel comics have become, seeing as Aquaman is a DC character. The Marvel comics analog would be Namor, the SubMariner.

Remove ads