• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

And here they are... Official Human 'Subraces'

Tarril Wolfeye

First Post
Well, it seems WotC finally caved in.

We present Exhibit A: Human Subraces (from Races of Destiny)

Human (of course)
Mongrelfolk
Sea kin
Sharakim
Skulk
Underfolk

and with a variant from the chapter on feats:
Half-Elves
Half-Orcs
Half-Ogres
Aasimar
Tiefling
Mechanatrix
Shyft
Genasi
Half-Celestial Human
Half-Fiend Human
Half-Dragon Human
etc.

Even without the variant that's 6 (six!) Human subraces.
:lol:

Zappo

Explorer
Shyft and Mechanatrix? I assume these are chaotic and lawful planetouched respectively. I dislike the names already...

Zappo said:
Shyft and Mechanatrix? I assume these are chaotic and lawful planetouched respectively. I dislike the names already...
Actually, I believe the Lawful and Chaotic planetouched were in MMII with different names...Shyft and Mecanatrix were in the Fiend Folio(I think...) and I truly don't remember what was different about them.

...of course, I could be all wrong here.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
The mongrelfolk have been around since at least 2nd edition. Of course, they were called mongrelmen back in the day, so I can understand the confusion. :p

Masquerade

First Post
Zappo said:

I believe they are planetouched related to the astral plane and mechanus, respectively.

Olorin

Into the West
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Actually, I believe the Lawful and Chaotic planetouched were in MMII with different names...Shyft and Mecanatrix were in the Fiend Folio(I think...) and I truly don't remember what was different about them.

...of course, I could be all wrong here.

You are not wrong. :)

Chaond and Zenythri are the chaotic and lawful planetouched respectively, from MMII.

Gez

First Post
Chaonds are kinda slaad-touched, descendant of people who were infected by blue slaadi but somehow resisted the disease just enough to remain partly what they were (and thus become sorta half-slaad).
Zenythri trace their ancestry to the Mercanes.
Mechanatrix are related to the living clockworks of Mechanus, the Modrons.
The Shyfts, for their parts, are the distant offspring of a "race native of the Ethereal" (haven't found out which) with humans.

And yes, the names kinda suck.

Tarril Wolfeye

First Post
First, all of these are now type Humanoid (Human):
Mongrelfolk
Sea kin
Sharakim
Skulk
Underfolk

Mongrelfolk are like in FF, but also get low-light vision, immunity to magical sleep, +1 save vs. Ench./Ill./Poison, +1 Appraise, Climb, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Search, Spot, +4 Hide, Sleigh of Hand, and 'Diffuse Blood': +2 save vs. spell that are race-specific on human/halfling/dwarf/elf/gnome/goblin/orc

Sea kin are still air-breather who need water to survive (kinda like dolphins)

Sharakim are found at WotC's site

Skulk is found in FF

Underfolk are 'Underdark Humans'

Last edited:

Remove ads