And here they are... Official Human 'Subraces'

Voadam

Legend
It is wierd how Half-elves and half-orcs don't have subtype human in addition to their other half race's subtype (at least as listed in the MM).

Tarril Wolfeye

First Post
Voadam said:
It is wierd how Half-elves and half-orcs don't have subtype human in addition to their other half race's subtype (at least as listed in the MM).
Well, using the variant in RoD you get just that, but also any other race with human ancestry becomes type Humanoid (Human). For a partial list, see my first post in this thread.

Gez

First Post
Tarril Wolfeye said:
As both are not type Humanoid (human) they're technically not human subraces.

Elans are aberrations, yes. But Kalashtars are humanoids. They may have the subtype, as long as they won't be statblocked like monsters, no one will know...

BTW, I've already seen humans without the human subtype... For example, the first NPC statted in Shadows of the Last War has a statblock like this one (very mild spoiler, as the glorious heroes are not supposed to attack her anyway).
Female human aristocrat 2/sorcerer 2; CR 3; Medium humanoid; HD 2d8+2d4; hp 17; and so on.

See? No human subtype!

So, humans are not humans?

Under the variant considerations for planetouched there's also the Cansin and Axani which appeared in Dragon #297, which are also Chaotic and Lawful planetouched. I happen to like them a lot better than the Zenythri and Chaonds that appeared in MMII. Also in that same article they described Dust, Ice, Magma, Ooze, Smoke and Steam Genasi.

Spirit Folk could be considered a subrace, but they are Humanoid (spirit) creatures...

Tarril Wolfeye

First Post
Kobold Avenger said:
Under the variant considerations for planetouched there's also the Cansin and Axani which appeared in Dragon #297, which are also Chaotic and Lawful planetouched. I happen to like them a lot better than the Zenythri and Chaonds that appeared in MMII.
I liked Cansin and Axani better, too. I even had a player play a Cansin once (ancestry: eladrin)

Gez said:
Elans are aberrations, yes. But Kalashtars are humanoids. They may have the subtype, as long as they won't be statblocked like monsters, no one will know...

BTW, I've already seen humans without the human subtype...
So, humans are not humans?
From the description of Kalashtar: "Today, new Kalashtar are born, not possessed; neither spirit nor human, they are a new race that breeds true."
See, they're a new race, not humans. And if you are called human in your statblock, you don't need to state the subtype as it is clear from context.

But you were almost right: Your comment reminded me of Inspired/Empty Vessels, and - Surprise! - they are subtype human.

Adding to my list, the human subraces are:
Human (PHB)
Vashar (BoVD)
Athasian Human (Dragon #319)
Inspired/Empty Vessel (Eberron CS)
Neanderthal (Frostburn)
Illumian (RoD)
Mongrelfolk (RoD)
Sea kin (RoD)
Sharakim (RoD)
Skulk (RoD)
Underfolk (RoD)

Aesmael

Explorer
Dr. Awkward said:
The funny thing is that "highway elves" are about the only elven subrace I've heard of that sound at all interesting.

I imagine them playing guitar, slinging pistols, and cruising around in big convertables that are immaculately maintained in a like-new state. Racial bonus to "Stunt Driving" and "Craft: bourbon" and a special racial ability that allows them to stand and fight on the hood of a moving car without having to check to see if they fall off. Racial weapons include bolas that look like fuzzy dice.
In all seriousness, *YOINK*

Psion

Adventurer
Tarril Wolfeye said:
As both are not type Humanoid (human) they're technically not human subraces.

But they do share an origin not entirely like illumians. They were once humans.

I think a campaign that makes some horrible revalation about why they are different would be fun.

Remove ads