[IC] Halfling Quest - Rooting Around

Tarlonniel

First Post
"I'll return in about half an hour, then," Kiylea calls to Bubbles while heading for the door. Once outside she breaks into a jog, and by way of a few shortcuts soon arrives at the Tangleweb farmhouse. Donning her outdoor gear is as easy as breathing by now - leather armor, waterskin, backpack, dagger, flint and steel, lamp and bedroll are all in their places in a flash. She also picks up a roll of hemp rope from the barn and nabs some bread, cheese, jerky and fruit from the kitchen. Then comes the choice of weapons; Kiylea almost automatically grabs her bow and quiver, but leaves both sling and javelins behind. Whatever's causing the trouble can't be too dangerous if it only attacks defenseless crops. Finally she grabs her walking stick and sets off once again for the Silver Horn, arriving within her promised time.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Grabbing up one last fruit Eddie heads for the door. Absently forgetting his goodbyes.
Horsefeathers, how am I supposed to get dads old armor while he is still awake? I hoped the promise of coin would do the trick. But I cant beg for it. I guess the truth, well with a few modifications.
Mom, Dad Im back Mero wants a bunch of us youngsters to stand guard over the Mellar’s House tonight. And he is paying us a silver a piece! Oh and Im going to need your old armor. Eddie dashes past his fathers chair and climbs nimbly up to his loft, pulling down his sword wrapping up his bedding and grabing his tools.
WHAT!!? MERO IS CALLING YOU TO SEVICE? I DON’T BELIEVE IT. MORE LIKELY YOURRE TURNING HIGHWAYMAN ON US. WELL THAT’S TO BAD I LOST THE KEY TO THAT CHEST YEARS AGO. YOU LOWDOWN GOOD FOR NOTHING......HEY GET AWAY FROM THAT!!! YOU CANT JUST…. Eddie jimmies the chest open with practiced ease and pulls out the armor. As Eddie heads for the door in the momentary silence His mom stops him at the door please don’t go, death is coming, I know it, its starting why wont people believe me. *sob* Ross is going to die. she starts cryining and holds his sleeve. Its okay mom I’ll watch his back. Even though he died before I was born.
Eddie tries to reassure her, but as his dad starts getting worked up again Eddie finally pulls himself away. He gives a big sigh and stops just out of view of the cottage to recover, wiping at his face. Finally he situates his equipment. He arrives, slightly late at the Brewery.

Ferrix

Explorer
Gathering up the things you have decided to take along, you all eventually end up at the Greenbottle Brewery. Finnigan is inside with Almose cleaning up a spill caused by a supposed accident, although Bubbles says it was really Mal who was too inebriated and knocked over a barrel which was in the process of being filled.

You sit on the woven adirondack furniture adorning the porch, waiting for the last person to show up, which happens to be Eddie, who seems a bit shaken up but in good shape.

Mrs. Mellar's farm is about a fifteen minute walk west from here, she lives with her husband Clyde. Her four children with their families have taken up residence around there as well, generating a small commune of farms. Wellsly lives a little farther north of the Mellar's, keeping generally to himself.

OOC: Your ball. If there is anything you would like more info on, or more prompting, let me know in the OOC thread.

Last edited:

Slippshade

First Post
Bubbles Greenbottle

The ride back to Greenbottle Brewery was pleasant. Bubbles makes small talk with Kiylea as they ride in the back of Finnigin's cart. Kiylea seems to enjoy the ride, but is a hard person to read. Bubbles can tell that she has a tremendous appreciation for the outdoors and likes to be outside as much as Bubbles likes the Silver Horn. (ooc) (Let me know if I over step my bounds on your character, if I do just beat me down in ooc. :) (/ooc). The cart gently rolls off the main road and onto the wagon path leading up to the Brewery. Many halflings are running to and fro getting things ready for the upcoming harvest festival. Finnigan stops the cart before the Greenbottles home.

"Out ya go Little ones! I need to take this thing back to the stables and get the ponies back in there place."

Bubbles and Kiylea hop out and watch her father and the cart disappear around back.

"You can come in if you like or just roam around and get a good lay of the land. I need to go change. I don't think this would make good camping attire." She gives Kiylea a little laugh while looking at her bodice and skirts. "I'll be right back. Oh, and if Jerran gets here before I get back, can you keep an eye on him. Idon't think we want him nicking any bottles of Ale. We will likely need our wits about us." With that she darts into the house. Leaving Kiylea to follow or not, depending on her wants.

Bubbles returns about 20 minutes later. She is waring brown leather breeches tucked into soft comfortable boots. A chain shirt covers her torso with the white sleeves of her blouse billowing out its sleeves. Two shortswords are belted to her waist and a backpack with some supplies is thrown over one shoulder. "Well Kiylea, have you spent any time out by the Mellar's farm?"

Boddynock

First Post
Impatient to get on with the adventure task, Alton stands up as soon as Eddie arrives.

"Well, since we're all here, let's go to the Mellars' farm. That way we'll have plenty of time to speak with them and to look around the fields. I guess one of the things we should find out is just whose fields have been affected. Uh, what do you think, Jerran? Would you be prepared to act as our spokesman? You're good at communicating with people."

"Kiylea, like Bubbles said, you're probably the best one of us to examine the ground for some sign of what has been digging it up. Can any of us help you with that task, or is it best if we keep out of your way while you look?"

"Ringly, you're really good at working out puzzles and so on. It'd be good if you could coordinate our efforts."

Alton stops talking, suddenly aware of how he seems to be bossing everyone around. Blushing a bit, he then mumbles, "At any rate, I think it would be good for us to work together as a team. You know - recognising and encouraging each other's strengths."

"Um ... what do you think?"

ender_wiggin

First Post
"Coordinate? Well, I don't see what you could mean by that. Puzzles, maybe, but I don't foresee any of that with this type of menial search and destroy. To be honest with you all, I don't foresee any sort of 'danger' at all. If there was a real threat - the constable would not have sent a group of mismatched 'children' to solve the problem."

"Rather, this is a simple case of removing us, even if temporarily, from a position in which we were detrimental at large (*here he reflexively glances at Eddie*), to a position where we could be helpful to Amblestock. That being said, if we all proceed with care and calmness, we can wrap this up and be home before we know it."

Ringly smiles. "Just my take."

Tarlonniel

First Post
Kiylea spends most of their trip asking about the Greenbottles’ delivery runs and what dangers they’ve faced on the roads. She seems to grow more relaxed the further they get from town, waving at friends and enjoying her companions’ stories. But once Bubbles goes inside the house it’s all business: time to get an idea of what the group is up against.

She searches out the best vantage points in the vicinity and takes stock of her surroundings, trying to spot anything unusual and simultaneously looking for a good place to camp. She makes sure to stay away from Ma and Pa Mellar’s place, though. Going back there voluntarily after such a successful escape would be wrong somehow. When the time for everyone else to arrive draws near, she heads back. Bubbles’ new outfit gets a decided thumbs up - much more practical. Kiylea especially likes the chain shirt and examines it while she fills Bubbles in on her findings.

Alton is briefed as well when he arrives. This is the first time she has seen his shield, and it brings a sort of realization. He also serves the Lady… and not just with words, but with weapons if need be. That is the bond we share. She listens to him now with a new respect.

Alton said:
"Um ... what do you think?"

“Sounds great!” Kiylea replies with an enthusiastic smile. “Eddie, I think you could help me out if you want to come - your eyes are sharper than mine sometimes. But I’ll go alone if you want to do something else.”

OoC: Climb +5, Knowledge (geography) +3, Knowledge (nature) +5, Search +1, Spot +4, Survival +6... hmmm... anything else I should include?

Last edited:

hafrogman

Adventurer
Despite himself, Jerran finds himself nodding along with Alton's assignments, they seem like fairly good sense despite the fact that he seems to have apointed himself Yondalla's gift to leadership. However, Ringly's comment about the work warrants an actual response. He grins widely to soften the words, but he seems mostly serious about what he's saying.

"Now, I'm all for finishing work quickly, but this job isn't going to go any faster no matter what we do. Part of the task is to watch over the fields at night and make sure nothing gets into the crops. You're stuck with us all night. Even if we think we solve the problem, we need to stick around because I'm not going to be telling Mero that the crops are ruined because we thought we'd fixed everything and went home early. And if I'm spending my night out here, I'll be damned if I'm going to be here by myself. So, relax and get yourself settled. We're in for the long haul."

Once he's finished with his speech, Jerran nods to the others and sets off to the nearest farmhouse as per Alton's instructions.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
"Okay Kiylea, its a little crowded in here. Lets go." curtly, glowering at Alton, Eddie is ready to head out the door.
What is My strength Alton? If yours is leading, you need more work. Now where did that thought come from? Alton means well and has never gotten me angry at him before, besides someone needs to decide these things. It couldnt have anything to do with....Nah. I must just be a little worried about tonight. He nods his agreement with Rigley's words and then with Jerrans as well. On his way out he whispers to Alton, Good plan, we have ‘bout 4 hours till sunset, um should we meet somewhere?

OCC: Search +6, Listen +5, Survival +3

Last edited:

Boddynock

First Post
Evilhalfling said:
On his way out he whispers to Alton, Good plan, we have ‘bout 4 hours till sunset, um should we meet somewhere?
"Oh, good idea, Eddie! I didn't think of that. Thank you. Maybe we should meet at the Mellar's farmhouse an hour before sunset. Do you think that would give us time to set up before it got dark?"

Remove ads