[IC] Halfling Quest - Rooting Around

Boddynock

First Post
hafrogman said:
Jerran reaches across the table and selects a stew bowl and a spoon.

"Why don't we make it an hour and a half. I'm going to have lunch."
"No, let's make it an hour - and if you haven't finished your lunch, well, the rest of us will just have to cope. Won't we, Bubbles?"

hafrogman

Adventurer
Jerran grins as Alton walks right into his plan.

"Excellent plan, Alton. You guys get going out there, and I'll join you just as soon as I'm ready."

He takes a mouthful of the stew and then reaches out for a melon which he sets down next to his plate as he eats in no particular rush.

Slippshade

First Post
Bubbles Greenbottle

Alton said:
"Wait, Kiylea. It would probably be better if we all went together," - this said while looking steadily at Jerran ("Always ready to help out the community, my foot.") - "and I, for one, would really like to go home and get my gear. If we do run into something dangerous, we'd better be prepared. If it's a wayward goat - well, we can all have a good laugh about it - but if it's something more serious, we'll be glad we took the time to get ready."

"Why don't we meet back here in an hour. That'll give us all time to collect what we need and get back here. Then we can go and talk to the farmers, and have a good look around while it's still light."

"Kiylea, Alton's right. You are probably the most qualified for the task at hand, but IF this is something dangerous we wouldn't want you to be out there by your self with no help." Bubbles is very serious now, which may have suprised some of the halflings at the table that do not know her well and have never seen her at work other than the Silver Horn.

Jerran said:
Jerran reaches across the table and selects a stew bowl and a spoon.

"Why don't we make it an hour and a half. I'm going to have lunch."

Alton said:
"No, let's make it an hour - and if you haven't finished your lunch, well, the rest of us will just have to cope. Won't we, Bubbles?"

Jerran said:
Jerran grins as Alton walks right into his plan.

"Excellent plan, Alton. You guys get going out there, and I'll join you just as soon as I'm ready."

He takes a mouthful of the stew and then reaches out for a melon which he sets down next to his plate as he eats in no particular rush.

Bubbles rolls her eyes at Jerran's comments and turns to Mero. "Constable, would you be so kind as to lock Jerran up for say..oh and hour? That way he won't run off and fall asleep in any out of the way corner." She gives Mero a wink as her back is turned to the group then turns back to face them again. "Would you guys mind meeting me at the Brewery instead? Since it is on the way anyway. That way I won't have to make father take a second trip today? Kiylea, if you would like you could ride out with me and get a quick lay of the land before the rest of the group arrives?"

hafrogman

Adventurer
Jerran shakes his head at Bubbles' retort.

"It's no use locking me up, Bubbles. Believe it or not, I also have supplies that I need to gather before we go traipsing off into the woods."

He doesn't say anything more, but seems to have relented the issue as he begins eating his stew with more gusto and carves a resaonably sized slice of the melon to eat, returning most of it to the tray.

Tarlonniel

First Post
Bubbles said:
Kiylea, if you would like you could ride out with me and get a quick lay of the land before the rest of the group arrives?"

"Uhh... yeah. I would like to." Kiylea is starting to realize that Bubbles has more common sense than most stories about her indicate. "But can I run back home first and get a few things?"

Slippshade

First Post
Kiylea said:
"Uhh... yeah. I would like to." Kiylea is starting to realize that Bubbles has more common sense than most stories about her indicate. "But can I run back home first and get a few things?

"Sure, my dad still needs to finish up with Evan before we can leave anyway."

Ferrix

Explorer
Smiling knowingly, "alrighty then, you all seem to be getting the whole thing in order on your own. So I will leave you to it, if you need anything I'll be down by Veryl's." Mero nods to the youngsters, pauses, shakes his head then on his way out says, "I'll want to hear all about it tomorrow, and don't be tearing up the crops, I'm sure Mrs. Mellar is as proficient with a switch as Meegan is." The door swings shut behind him with a slight whoosh and a clink as the latch falls back into place.

As if on cue, the door to the kitchen pops open and Meegan strides in, an empty platter in her hand, she begins snatching up the empty plates and glasses. "Don't be sittin round here, Mero said to be gettin' a move on. Molle," she calls back into the kitchen, "these dishes aren't going to wait 'round all day. And tell that old shyster of a grandfather of yours that he better not be thinking of sneakin' off with Annie again, we're supposed to have a private party here tonight." She finishes piling the empty plates and glasses onto the platter and swings it up with practiced ease, on her way into the kitchen she turns her head back, "good luck to the six of you. And don't you dare be sitting there polishing your glasses when I come back out here." Disappearing into the kitchen, the door swings back and forth for a moment upon its double hinge.

ender_wiggin

First Post
Ringly takes another sip from his mug, then sets it down and rises.

"You'll have to excuse me," he says.

He collects himself, stretches his legs to get the blood flowing back into his brain, and turns to leave after a quick, "I'll be there on time."

It wasn't really any rush that prompted him to leave - it was a desire to rescue himself from the social purgatory. At any rate, he needed to pick up some food and a good book from Wellsly's abode before setting off. He also brings his spellbook and a few other tidbits, just in case something went wrong.

In an hour, he meets up with the others at the Brewery, his mind lost in some far-away author's world.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Jerran sighs as his plate is whisked out from under him just as he empties it. He finishes off the last of his cider and puts the glass down before standing up from his bench. He wanders out of the inn, waving his farewell to the others, but remaining silent. Once he reaches his home, he hustles up the stairs after a quick greeting to his mother.

Once in his room he changes from his nicer clothes that he wore to the meeting into a rather more ragged set that he wears when he can't get out of gardening chores. He looks around the room for anything else he might need, and his gaze stops on the trunk at the foot of his bed. He opens it up and considers the contents.

He picks up the well worn crossbow that he used to take with him on the road for trading trips. He looks at it thoughtfully for a second and is just about to return it to the trunk when an image flashes through his mind of him valiently saving Bubbles from some angry critter, and her gratitude overflowing like. . . well, overflowing like her bodice really. Smiling to himself at the image he tosses the crossbow onto his bed along with the case of bolts.

However, it isn't long before the image of the same critter dodging his shot and ripping into him runs through his mind as well. Frowning at this image, he reaches once more into the trunk and starts donning the suit of leather armor which he has retrieved.

Once he is all dressed and kitted out, he hangs the crossbow across his back and wanders back downstairs. He grabs one of his parents' lanterns and heads out to meet the others at the inn. Standing waiting outside the brewery he actually strikes quite a heroic image as the wind whipping through the village catches his hair, causing it to ripple dramatically.

Last edited:

Boddynock

First Post
hafrogman said:
Alton grimaces to himself. "Well, I fell into that one. Still, it was a no-win for me from the start. It's lucky that Bubbles knows how to handle Jerran - and that I'm used to looking like a fool!"

"Bubbles. I wish she'd asked me to ride out there with her - still, it's good that she and Kiylea will get to know one another better. If there is any trouble, we need to know that we can trust one another. I just wish I could say the same for Jerran."

Alton stirs, rises from his seat and says his farewells to those remaining in the tavern. He thanks Meegan for the meal and leaves.

Alton goes home and picks up all his gear. Determined not to be caught unprepared, he dons armour and shield and sets his weapons at his hips - longsword at his left, mace at his right, bow slung over his shoulder, dagger in his belt. He briefly debates leaving his carving tools behind, then shrugs and stows them in his backpack. "Who knows - there may be some quiet time." Hefting the heavy shield, he goes out to the kitchen and there leaves a note for his mother. He doesn't know where his father is.

He makes his way to the Brewery - savouring the chance for some silence on the way. "Lady, help me to serve you this day. Help us all to do your will." If there is an answer, he doesn't hear it. Still, he is heartened - and excited - and arrives in good time to meet with the others.

Remove ads