[IC] Halfling Quest - Rooting Around

Ferrix

Explorer
Wednesday - Early Afternoon

As you all spread out to take care of particular tasks, you check the sun for a moment, it is still high in the sky and will be quite a while before it sets. Eddies estimation is actually very short, you have more like six hours of sunlight left. It is summer after all and only a couple hours after noon.

Eddie and Kiylea begins to comb the edge of the fields, looking for any signs of recent incursion. It takes a good hour or two before they find a number of split-hoof prints, leading from the forest into the fields. With some more examination, Kiylea discerns, once she follows the prints into the fields, that it was most likely a boar of some kind that was uprooting crops.

Kiylea picks out a couple good trees she figures would get a good vantage point from, most of the houses and barns are too far from the treeline to be a good place to watch from as Eddie points out.

Alton, Ringly, Jerran and Bubbles begin their stroll between the various Mellar houses, hoping to get an idea of which farms have been having trouble, what types of crops have been targetted and so on.

Approaching Lyra Mellar's house, Jerran strides up confidentantly and raps on the door, a self-assured grin on his face. You hear a woman call out from inside, "just a second..." In a moment the door is drawn open and Mrs. Mellar looks upon the assembled group slightly confused as to what four the villages youngsters would be doing knocking on her door. "Oh! I wasn't expecting anyone, I'm sorry the place is a mess but do come in," gesturing for the four of you to enter. When she says the place is a mess, you can barely imagine what it would mean for it to be clean, everything seems inextricably well-placed, not a speck of dust can be seen. "Now, what can I do to help you all? Sit, sit." She beckons you over to a oak table large enough to seat eight.

Tarlonniel

First Post
Kiylea attaches a knotted length of rope to the trunk of the most promising tree at about the halfway mark, hoping it will make getting up (or down) quicker and safer. Then she begins setting up their campsite nearby. "Hey, Eddie? Would you mind if I stayed here instead of meeting the others with you in a few hours? I know you'd have to guide them here yourself, but you can handle it and I just couldn't stand being in Lyra Mellar's place again. It's too... perfect. Ugh." She shudders, mostly for dramatic effect, then laughs. "Please Eddie?"

OoC: Use rope +3

hafrogman

Adventurer
Jerran politely waves aside all of Mrs. Mellar's concerns over the state of her house. He gives her a friendly smile and takes a seat at the table, gesturing for herself and the others to join him.

"Hopefully we won't take up much of your time, Mrs. Mellar. We understand that you've been having some trouble up here with critters digging in your fields. Mero has asked us to look into it for you. So we were simply wondering if you could tell us anything about the troubles. You know, where it happens, anything unusual you've seen, anything that comes to mind that might help us help you."

After he finishes he steeples his hands in front of him and gives her a smile like he is sure that her help will provide invaluable, no matter how trivial it may seem. It's an encouraging and friendly look, designed to put the slightly flustered woman at ease.

Boddynock

First Post
When Lyra Mellar appears at the door, Alton opens his mouth to greet her and explain why they are there, then closes it with a snap when he remembers that he's just asked Jerran to handle the information gathering. He follows the others into the immaculate house and, suddenly feeling foolish in armour and shield in the midst of this domestic tranquility, moves to sit quietly at the table.

Unfortunately, his scabbard scrapes against a low table in the centre of the room, and when he whirls around, horrified, to see if he's done any damage, the edge of his shield catches a vase of flowers and sweeps it to the floor. Bubbles, however - perhaps because she knows how clumsy Alton can be - is on hand to make a quick dive for the vase, and in one smooth motion plucks it from the air and replaces it on the sideboard from which Alton knocked it. Miraculously, Mrs Mellar gives no sign that she has noticed anything untoward in her precious home.

Blushing furiously, Alton then sits at the table - too flustered even to pull out a chair for Bubbles or for Mrs Mellar.

Slippshade

First Post
Bubbles Greenbottle

Deftly snatching the vase out of mid air Bubbles places it back back on the sideboard with a relieved sigh. She takes a quick glance to see if Mrs. Mellar notices anything. By the looks of it she does not.

At Jerrans encouragement Bubbles takes a seat next to him and across from Alton and Mrs Mellar.

'Just when Alton starts to suprise me he does something like that. Such a funny boy. I guess girls just have that kind of effect on him, even if they are as old as my mom' Bubbles stiffles a giggle. 'Same old Atlon' , she thinks as she glances at the highly embarassed young Halfling and gives him a smile and a wink. Turning her attention to the conversation, she listens to Mrs Mellars tale.

ender_wiggin

First Post
Ringly enters reluctantly, his palms sweaty and gripped tightly around his book. He felt a little claustrophobic, but he shrugged it off, and sat down with the group.

When Mrs. Mellar's eyes glanced him over, she her eyes widened a little in surprise. It was subtle, but Ringly knew to look for it, and it didn't fool him. Her eyes then glanced at the book that he was holding.

Dammit! I should have stowed this in my backpack.

She didn't say anything, but Ringly knew what she was thinking. Whatever. Just listen to her problem and get the hell out.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Tarlonniel said:
"Please Eddie?"
No problem Kiylea I can go fetch them. So you say its boar tracks? any sign someone drove it here? well if its only a boar then we could kill it and the town could feast! even dad would have to ....
Eddie looks for some stout braches or saplings and cuts one to about spear length. If I set this up right, someone should be able to step on one end, and the boar might charge right into it.
Occ Craft trap +5

Ferrix

Explorer
Outside

As Kiylea knots the rope into something akin to a rope ladder and then secures it to a tree, Eddie begins hunting down a stout spear length of wood for some odd contraption, eventually picking one out suitable to his liking, he strips it of any branches and sharpens the tip into a crude point, however, he seems at a loss as to where to put it at the moment.

OOC: Kiylea's Use Rope is a 13, Eddie's Craft (trap) is a 15. Roll's here. EvilHalfling, more in OOC thread on traps.

Inside

"Oh, yes, awfully kind of Mero to send you youngin's along to take care of it. Some vile beast has been rooting around in my sweet potatoes all week, even turned up some of Besha's beets last night too. Clyde stayed up one night, but didn't see anything. His old eyes are getting to him, not as sharp as they used to be. Although Lamir said he thought he saw some hoof-prints out by the beets which got uprooted, glad he's taking good care of Besha. Oh, how horribly dreadful of me, would any of you like some sweet potato pie? It just came out of the oven and Clyde and I can't eat the whole thing on our own for dinner, I'd love it if you just had a piece." Her talking seems to flow outwards as if she hadn't seen a person in years and needed to tell them every last detail, although, she hasn't seen most of you since you were little ones.

She seems not to notice Alton's display, but later as she begins offering pie, she gives a slight wink to Bubbles that no one else notices. She pauses, and then shushing any objections, hurries into the kitchen from which you can smell the clove and cinnamon used to spice what could only be a delectable Mellar sweet potato pie.

OOC: Jerran's Diplomacy Check is a 17, Roll here.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Jerran briefly considers the time, and deciding that there are many hours till night still, he nods enthusiastically at Mrs. Mellar's offer.

"I'd love to try some, if its not too much trouble."

[ooc - Clyde is presumably her husband, do I know who Lamir and Besha are?]

Remove ads