[IC] Halfling Quest - Rooting Around

Ferrix

Explorer
Wednesday - Late Afternoon

Outside

Eddie searches around for a while, eventually finding a suitable depression, probably an old fox hole or something he imagines. He rigs up a pivot for the crude spear and then sets about securing it into the depression.

Kiylea meanwhile has finished securing the rope and then sits, relaxing in the tree, looking towards the sun she figures they have about two hours or so left of full sunlight.

Inside

Not even needing Jerran's slight prompting, Mrs. Mellar is back in moments with a steaming hot sweet potato pie and a small stack of plates. Topped with a whipped confectionary sugar that has melted, it smells delicious. Quickly slicing and placing a piece before each of you, she disappears once again into the kitchen to collect a small batch of forks which she hands to each of you. "Now, what was it you were all after again?" She forks a bit of her pie into her mouth, chewing for a moment then swallowing, "ah yes, the crops. Well, harvest is coming up and I just can't have some beast of a thing tearing up my fields. I just couldn't compete in the baking contest if half of my best sweet potatoes went missing." You all listen quietly, Jerran nodding amiably to keep her going, as she eats another bite. "If you want, you could always go ask Lamir if he could show you the tracks he found, he should be at my daughter's farm just a ten minute walk down away from the road. The footpath should be enough to get you there without any trouble."

She goes on for a while, talking about the excellent season they've had so far, the type of pies and breads she'll be baking for Harvest which will just wow the other ladies. Eventually, your slice of pie is gone. A slight creak as the front door opens is followed by the entrance of an older halfling, his once dark brown hair grayed considerably. Despite what must be at least seventy or so years of aging, his muscles look as strong as iron and his hands are course with callouses. Mrs. Mellar hops up from the table, "Oh my, dear, I wasn't expecting you in from the fields so quickly. Wait, I lost track of time, it's dinner time already, oh these summer days confuse my poor old body. Oh, I'm sorry." This last bit is aimed at the youngsters, "I must get on to making supper for Clyde, he's been out working all day." Clyde laughs at his wife's antics, you could only imagine he's quite used to it by now, "so what do we have here? Bubbles Greenbottle, Alton Highlea, Ringly Softpetal, and the little rascal. What called you to our door?"

Boddynock

First Post
Having gradually recovered from his embarassment, and having greatly enjoyed his slice of pie, Alton waits in quiet delight to see how the "little rascal" answers Clyde's query.

Tarlonniel

First Post
Eddie said:
any sign someone drove it here? well if its only a boar then we could kill it and the town could feast! even dad would have to ....

Kiylea decides to ignore Eddie's last comment, though she's curious about how the Mossfoots are doing. After the accident she was forbidden from visiting them and reliable news now comes solely through her father or Clara - filtered a bit for her young ears, she realizes. She wants to know what things are really like for her childhood friend, but Kiylea isn't one to ask for or take things not offered freely, even information. "No, doesn't look like anyone made it come here. It's probably just hungry - though I don't know why it would come into the fields, with Halflings and their dogs and such all around, when there's plenty to eat in the forest." Kiylea frowns thoughtfully. "I wish I knew more about wild boars. I think we could probably just scare it away, but then it might come back later... yes, I guess we'll have to kill it. I hope no one gets hurt. From what little Coyo has told me they're kind of mean." She looks down at the trap Eddie is making. "I haven't seen one of those before. Think it'll work?"

hafrogman

Adventurer
Jerran pretends to look confused for a moment, and makes a great show of looking around and behind himself, trying to ferret out the "little rascal". Then he points to his chest with a questioning, slightly hurt expression before breaking into a wide grin.

"Little rascal, eh? How are you doing today, you old sourpuss? We were just here to sample your wife's sweet potato pie actually. Or perhaps it was because Mero asked us to look into your little critter problem. It was certainly one of those things."

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Tarlonniel said:
She looks down at the trap Eddie is making. "I haven't seen one of those before. Think it'll work?"

what? .. erm. If we can get the boar to charge the person who is standing on the spear. Then it will work, and I guessed right on which direction the boar will be coming from. I was also thinking about a quick escape route, made by tying a bent tree to someone, so if they got gored, they could cut a line and be pulled up into the air. but to many things could go wrong. Or, well I had some other ideas, but they would take too much time.

Can you shoot from up in the tree? It would be a lot safer. I think Im going to stay down here, Im not so good at climbing, I could get up there but would prolly fall if I tried to use my sling. Have you ever killed a boar before?

Eddie seems nervous, his eyes darting back and forth in the rich afternoon light.

Slippshade

First Post
Bubbles Greenbottle

Bubbles sat enjoying her sweet potato pie and listens to Mrs. Mellar. When done she helps Mrs. Mellar clear the table.

"Mrs. Mellar, would you be able to spare another couple of pieces of pie for Kiylea and Eddie. They are already out in the fields looking around."

Bubbles waits for Mrs. Mellar to return with the pie.

"Why don't you guys head on down to Besha's house and see if she knows anything that can help us. I will take this pie out to Kiylea and Eddie."

Tarlonniel

First Post
Eddie said:
Can you shoot from up in the tree? It would be a lot safer. I think Im going to stay down here, Im not so good at climbing, I could get up there but would prolly fall if I tried to use my sling. Have you ever killed a boar before?
Eddie seems nervous, his eyes darting back and forth in the rich afternoon light.

I think I could shoot from up here. It might be pretty hard to hit anything with those branches and leaves in the way, though. I have killed pigs before, on our farm, but not with a bow. And Pa was there to help. She looks at Eddie curiously. What's wrong?

ender_wiggin

First Post
"Agreed," says Ringly. He helps Bubbles clean up the leftovers with a quick and efficient hand, and grabbing his spellbook, promptly exits Mellar's abode.

Instantly feeling better, Ringly even strikes up conversation. "So what do you suppose this creature could possibly be? It has to be an herbivore to be eating plants, right? In that case it shouldn't be much of a problem -- there aren't many dangerous animals that eat potatoes."

Ringly pauses for a moment to consider what he just said.

"Of course, we're not venturing in the supernatural with that assumption."

Ferrix

Explorer
Wednesday - Late Afternoon

Clyde laughs heartily at Jerran's jab, clapping him on the back with such force that he imagines he'll have a serious crick in his next when he wakes up next, "just like I used to be my boy, sharp tongue, sharp looks. Now, I do 'preciate it that Mero sent you kids over here to take care o' this problem. But, no keeping my dinner waiting, off ye go."

As you are shuffled out of the house, Mrs. Mellar thanks Ringly and Bubbles warmly for their help, in the kitchen giving the two of them a small leather flask of warm spiced cider. "Now, those little flasks will keep whatever's in them warm indefinately, so don't be tossing them when they're empty. And do take a slice or two for each of them... poor little Eddie Mossback... Now hurry along." As you all leave, Bubbles heads off with two wrapped pieces of pie to find Kiylea and Eddie.

The rest of you make your way down to Besha's farm, it's definately a smaller house than the Mellar's, but it is quaint and well-tended. A small garden of pungeant colorful flowers runs along the front of it, overwhich bends a slightly plump female halfling maybe ten years older than the rest of you. She seems hard at work, the large pile of torn up weeds behind her gives you the impression that she's been at this for a while.

Kiylea, from your position in the tree, you quickly pick out Bubbles heading your way, carrying something in her hands.

Remove ads