• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

EN World Polls & Front Page

Seeker95

First Post
Today I cast my vote on the "What would you let your players buy" poll that greeted me at the front page of the News -- my first stop when I visit ENWorld each morning. After I cast my vote, I went to read the discussion. It was only then that I see the stipulations to the poll, which would have changed my vote completely.

This happens often enough to comment that there may be a flaw in the manner in which polling is conducted, or in the decision to list polls on the front page.

Since we do not have a mechanism for changing our votes, perhaps, rather than allowing a vote from the front page, the poll could simply be listed with a link to the forum thread. Or, perhaps the first post of a poll (from the poll starter) could be listed along with the poll.

If we were taking a poll, I would also offer the option of not displaying polls on the front page, but that is an option I would not favor as a solution.

Davelozzi

Explorer
I agree, I've often noticed similar problems. People who post polls often put instructions and other relevant info in the lead post, and I think that posting the poll separately sometimes skews results.

Also, I find that "Discuss this poll" isn't the clearest way to say "post a comment on this poll". I guess if you stop and think about it, it makes sense, but I always end up clicking there when I really just want to read the discussion that's taken places already (in which case I really should be clicking on "This poll has X replies"). Maybe it's just me, I don't know. Does this wording throw anyone else?

Remove ads