Rappan Athuk 3

The Depths of The Worlds Most Dangerous Dungeon!

Undaunted by the decimation of your party, the imprisonment of your wizard, and the corruption of your priest to the service of Orcus, you still want more! Can you find Akbeth, High Priestess of Hecate, and her magic ring of shapechange? Do you possess the courage to enter a level of "Hell" itself? Can you survive the White Corridor or the Pit of Salamanders? Will you encounter the City of Goblins dedicated to the worship of Orcus? And do you dare learn what lies beyond the legendary Mithril Gates? Only those willing to descend into the darkest depths of Rappan Athuk will learn the answer. A pity you will lose your soul in the process...

Destruction and Damnation

Rappan Athuk--The Lower Levels is the culmination of the most famous and feared dungeon in all the lands. Designed for characters of 12th level and higher and published under the d20 system, Rappan Athuk--The Lower Levels provides an unrivaled challenge to even the most experienced players. Rappan Athuk--The Lower levels is the last in our three part "R" series, which in total details all 26 levels of this notorious dungeon.

A fantasy adventure for 4 to 6 players of 12th level and higher.

RAPPAN ATHUK 3
The Dungeon of Graves: The Lower Levels

CAVEATS
This is not a playtest review. There are moderate spoilers.

OVERVIEW
This is a 112-page volume, the third and final installment of the Rappan Athuk trilogy, covering a total of 13 levels, ranging in size from the goblin city of Grezneck (covering 17 pages) and the Great Cavern (12 pages), to diminutive levels such as the Portal of Darkness (2-1/2 pages). There are three pages of ads, the OGL, and a page detailing Orcus (a version published prior to that appearing in the Tome of Horrors). The bulk of the book is devoted to the levels themselves. Interior art is by Brian LeBlanc, and the maps are drawn by Chris Boll; they are infinitely superior to those appearing in Rappan Athuks 1 and 2, though Chris Boll did redo all the maps from those products as well, and they are available at www.necromancergames.com. The layout, margins, and font are all standard for Necromancer Games products.

POSITIVES
1. As mentioned above, the maps by Chris Boll are MUCH better than those of RA1 and 2, with grid, compass, and just the right amount of detail.

2. This book covers a LOT of territory, despite the fact that many of the levels are quite small and barely qualify as being called levels. There is enough dungeon here to keep a group of players busy for quite a long time.

3. As with the previous Rappan Athuk installments, you can play this as-is or cannibalize individual levels to form smaller, independent dungeons in your own campaign world.

4. The levels provided in this book cover more terrain than in the previous Rappan Athuks as far as overall feel. The Great Cavern is a good place to poke around, looking for small sub-caverns and hidden connections to other levels. The Well of Agammemnon (actually 2 levels) has an almost "Tomb of Horrors" feel, and once PCs enter it. The goblin city of Grezneck even affords the opportunity for roleplay and negotiation with the locals, though powerful parties could try juggernauting their way through the level. And the final encounter with the Master is almost guaranteed to slaughter even 20th-level parties-and the module is quite up front about this.

5. Because of the many interconnections between levels, and the vast scope of the dungeon, players have many options for exploration and adventure. Rappan Athuk, played as-is, is still best suited to forays after specific targets, and it still can be quite lethal in spots, but players will never feel as if they are marching down a set path. And unlike other mega-dungeons, there are no vast tracts of undeveloped dungeon for the DM to fill in as he sees fit.

NEGATIVES
1. Rappan Athuk 3 lacks a certain something that the first two had…a kind of unique individuality best expressed in some of the obscure encounters, like the pyramid located in a cave in RA2, or the purple worm cavern in RA1. Though there are many obscure nooks and crannies to explore here, it feels more impersonal. I suspect this is because, unlike RA1 and 2 which were heavily playtested over the years, few parties in Bill Webb's campaign ever made it this far down into the dungeon, so most of the levels had to be designed from little more than a sentence or two of descriptive text.

2. I thought that the finale of the dungeon, getting to and fighting the Master, was a bit disappointing. I was looking forward to a dungeon full of the most cunning and lethal challenges, Tomb of Horrors style, but once you make it to the gate to his domain, there really isn't much between the PCs and the final showdown. It could be argued, of course, that the entirety of Rappan Athuk represents that gauntlet!

3. There is still some trouble with the interconnections between levels being inaccurate. Some of the other parts of the complex have errors in stat blocks and such, but overall Rappan Athuk 3 is far more polished than the first two in the series. Fortunately, a complete errata is available at the NG website and forum, and I have created a Rappan Athuk cross-section which you can download to view the level interconnections (see any of my posts at the NG forum to access it).

RECOMMENDATIONS
Overall an excellent dungeon crawl. Though still plagued by the level interconnection difficulties, and lacking some of the unique charm of the first two Rappan Athuks, it is altogether more polished overall, which offsets these minor complaints. I was a bit disappointed with the finale, however, and these factors together cost Rappan Athuk 3 a star.

Rappan Athuk is designed for higher-level parties (at least level 10 with 6 PCs, I would say). One of its best features is that it can be used with the first two to form an enormous dungeon complex, or broken into parts and used to create over a half dozen dungeon complexes throughout your campaign world. Because Necromancer Games focuses on non-campaign-specific products, it is easily adaptable into most campaign worlds. Definitely worth picking up, especially if you own the first two books.

Note that it is an unabashed dungeon, however, so if you hate dungeon crawls you will not get as much use out of this. Still, some parts, notably Grezneck, should satisfy even the die-hard roleplayers in your group.

Listlurker

First Post
(WARNING! A MAJOR SPOILER FOR THE END OF RAPPAN ATHUK 3 IS FLAGGED AND INCLUDED BELOW, FOR PROSPECTIVE DMs ONLY!)

Thanks for the intelligent and well-written review, Damien! Like you, I enjoyed the Rappan Athuk series. It is a mega-dungeon-crawl in all its glory, one which could occupy a gaming group for at least a year (probably two) if they played through all three modules in sequence and explored each one fully.

You mentioned that Rappan Athuk 3 can be "quite lethal", as with RA1 and RA2. This is certainly true, and players should bring more than one back-up character to each session, as Rappan Athuk isn't called "the dungeon of graves" for nothing. This lethality is pretty obvious to anyone who reads the cover text of the adventures, so I have no problem with that. Let the players beware! :)

You also mentioned being disappointed with the finale of Rappan Athuk 3, saying you found the final confrontation with "The Master" to be less than satisying. I would strongly agree, though not for all the same reasons.

(SPOILER BEGINS HERE)

I don't know if you altered the ending as written when you ran RA3, but in the text, it explicitly states that the player characters should not be allowed to win (or survive) the final battle. Not only that, but upon dying, characters' souls are to be forever damned with no possibility or rescue or resurrection. I don't know what your players are like, but if I ran this series as written, and spent one-to-two years putting my players through the grinder, only to have their characters automatically lose and be irrevocably damned at the end -- they'd lynch me right there at the gaming table! Nobody expects they should be able to truly conquer "The Master Villain", but to tie the players' defeat to the automatic, permanent loss and damnation of their characters (are the characters' deities weaker than the "Master Villain"? I find that hard to believe!), it just seems too cruel and arbitrary in an ostensibly heroic game. Most players will accept a "clean, fair death". This seems neither clean nor fair, and amounts to a bad ending for all the players' efforts throughout the trilogy.

(SPOILER ENDS HERE)

So, yes, Rappan Athuk is a fun series in a deadly sort of way -- probably the ultimate example of a classic "killer dungeon crawl" for third edition, but I think a DM is going to have to consider the effects of leaving RA3's ending as written, unless he or she wants to risk being lynched by angry players.

Thanks again for a good review, I welcome any comments you might have, as well as the comments of others.

Remove ads