GreyHawk: Scarlet Brotherhood?

DragonLancer

Adventurer
I recently picked up the Greyhawk Gazetteer that was release in 2000 when 3.0 was released. I don't know all that much about the setting, which is good because then I can play with it a little.

However, I was wondering what info there is on the Scarlet Brotherhood out there. The Gaz is rather light on them. Who are they, their patron (mortal, deity or infernal?), plans/goals... etc.

Anyone familiar with GH able to give me a rundown?

Thanx

Henry

Autoexreginated
The Scarlet Brotherhood is an ascetic order that grew out of the Exodus from the Sueloise homelands after the rain of Colorless Fire that destroyed them. The Suel (a red-haired, fair-skinned and blue-eyed people loosely patterned after the Gallic peoples of Europe) were a haughty, racially bigoted people who saw their way of life and culture as superior, and kept slaves, and were exceptionally cruel to the peoples they conquered.

The Brotherhood leaders centuries ago led a small number of Suel through the crystalmist mountains, and went south and settled a peninsula of land, creating a culturally isolated country of their own making. They are very politically active in the Greyhawk current day, and seek to stir trouble for other nations through their diplomacy and covert actions, all for the greater glory of their nation. They try to keep "racially pure" even though they subjegate lesser peoples for slave labor and exploitation, and worship the old Suel Gods (mostly the evil ones such as Pyremius, etc.)

The society of brotherhood lands is led by assassins, with monks maintaining the highest core of leadership. In general, think "Nazi" and you're not far off in ultimate goals and motives.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
Thankyou both. Much appricated.

On a similar note, what old GH products (sourcebooks) are worth picking up that aren't too out of date now?

tonse

First Post
As far as I recall, they are the descendants of the Suel, whose Empire was destoyed some thousand years ago. Now they are living in Hepmonaland in a society based on slave labour. Sean Reynolds wrote a supplement about this near the end of TSR. It's called (you guessed it) "The Scarlet Brotherhood". Maybe you can find it somewhere. It has a great deal of information about suloise gods and reintroduced the Monk and the Assassin to 2E.

MrFilthyIke

First Post
A good book

11374.jpg

You can buy the PDF at RPGNow. :)

shilsen

Adventurer
Henry said:
The society of brotherhood lands is led by assassins, with monks maintaining the highest core of leadership. In general, think "Nazi" and you're not far off in ultimate goals and motives.

I've always thought of the Brotherhood as Shaolin Nazis :)

Remove ads