Creative Exercise: The Sovereign Dominion of Eyros

X

xnosipjpqmhd

Map of Kohoal delta region

Ed Cha said:
I like that map. :)

See attached closeup map. I will work on a political map with regional boundaries as time permits. ;-)

ironregime

Attachments

• Kohoaldelta topo050303-95.JPG
    Kohoaldelta topo050303-95.JPG
    198.5 KB · Views: 71

A quick contribution. (I don't recall seeing an origin for Vildaxaranthus, but if there is and I missed it, tell me and we'll kill this entry. :))

Vildaxaranthus was not actually born fiendish. Rather, he was born thousands of years ago as a normal T-Rex. Slowly but surely, he gained sentience and a fiendish nature after scavenging meals from grounds that were tainted by the presence of a calcified, slumbering demon, very much like the one from which the Cerebrum Ruby was taken. Nobody knows this, which is why nobody has stopped to wonder why there seem to be numerous demons physically slumbering beneath the earth of the region.

And a quick comment.

Great job with the updates and character lists, people! I'll still be popping in and out for a few days, before I can get back to devoting more than a few minutes at a stretch, but I'm definitely still reading. :)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
A quick contribution. (I don't recall seeing an origin for Vildaxaranthus, but if there is and I missed it, tell me and we'll kill this entry. :))

Vildaxaranthus was not actually born fiendish. Rather, he was born thousands of years ago as a normal T-Rex. Slowly but surely, he gained sentience and a fiendish nature after scavenging meals from grounds that were tainted by the presence of a calcified, slumbering demon, very much like the one from which the Cerebrum Ruby was taken. Nobody knows this, which is why nobody has stopped to wonder why there seem to be numerous demons physically slumbering beneath the earth of the region.

And a quick comment.

Great job with the updates and character lists, people! I'll still be popping in and out for a few days, before I can get back to devoting more than a few minutes at a stretch, but I'm definitely still reading. :)
Well Vil is actually a half-fiend rather than a fiendish T-Rex (emphasising his kindred nature with the cambion Lusarum), which kinda implies he came from when a demon loved a dinosaur...that being said, there's nothing beyond that implication to prevent this cool origin story.

Rystil Arden said:
Well Vil is actually a half-fiend rather than a fiendish T-Rex (emphasising his kindred nature with the cambion Lusarum), which kinda implies he came from when a demon loved a dinosaur...that being said, there's nothing beyond that implication to prevent this cool origin story.

Well, we could easily say that the inner transformation caused by years of feasting on tainted carrion changed his inner nature to more closely match the half-fiend rather than fiendish concept/template. :)

I mean, if people would rather go with the standard "when a demon loves a dinosaur very, very much..." method, I understand. But I'd prefer to do something different with it.

What do the rest of you think?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Well I like the new explanation; works for me and is more interesting. And since I originally created Vil, this is one of the rare circumstances in life where my opinion probably counts for something. As I was making the NPC dictionary on the other thread, I realised that I created a lot of these NPCs actually, an amount disproportionate to my actual number of posts because I've always been better with creating people and their personalities and secrets than I have at geography and such (and my lack of art and geography skills only makes me that much more in awe of ironregime's map).

Jakar

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Well, we could easily say that the inner transformation caused by years of feasting on tainted carrion changed his inner nature to more closely match the half-fiend rather than fiendish concept/template. :)

I mean, if people would rather go with the standard "when a demon loves a dinosaur very, very much..." method, I understand. But I'd prefer to do something different with it.

What do the rest of you think?

I much prefer this explination. Not that I am against some "hot Dino-Demon love fest", but it does get old after a while.

Last edited:

Jakar

First Post
Just one thought about the map that has been bothering me for a while. I would really put Eyredyn a lot closer to the River Kohoal.

My reasoning for this is that all great cities tend to be built upon a "water highway" so to speak, for trade reason, or like Rome, they have a port city close to it to facilitate a healthy flow of trade to the city.

From a trade point of view, and a logistical one as well, it would be more sensible to build Eyerdyn closer to the river, not 175 miles away like it is at the moment.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Jakar said:
Just one thought about the map that has been bothering me for a while. I would really put Eyredyn a lot closer to the River Kohoal.

My reasoning for this is that all great cities tend to be built upon a "water highway" so to speak, for trade reason, or like Rome, they have a port city close to it to facilitate a healthy flow of trade to the city.

From a trade point of view, and a logistical one as well, it would be more sensible to build Eyerdyn closer to the river, not 175 miles away like it is at the moment.
Well we do know by description that it has to be on Mount Xarx. So the only way to reconcile this is to actually move the mountain, I guess.

Rystil Arden said:
Well we do know by description that it has to be on Mount Xarx. So the only way to reconcile this is to actually move the mountain, I guess.

Or we can simply assume that a small tributary--perhaps too small to make the map, or one we can add to the map later--goes past the mountain and the city both, on its way to/from the main river.

Always look for the easiest solution. ;)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Or we can simply assume that a small tributary--perhaps too small to make the map, or one we can add to the map later--goes past the mountain and the city both, on its way to/from the main river.

Always look for the easiest solution. ;)
Or maybe the Eyrians originally set up their capitol in that position to symbolise their victory, and then later they decided to use irrigation techniques and artificial rerouting of the river to bring a water connection to them (messing with water fits the Romanesque feel--the Romans loved their aqueducts).

Remove ads