Dry Erase Battle Mat

Brottor Dankil

First Post
Breakdaddy said:
Tact Tiles R0xxsZ0rz. Incidentally, I left markings on my TACTTILES board way too long and they wouldnt come off with alcohol, windex, coke, or any of my household cleaners. What finally did the trick was a wipe from a pocket pack of OXYCLEAN wipes for stains on clothing, it tore that marker up in a hurry.

I've also found that if you mark on the spot again with the same kind of marker, it will loosen old marks. Had to use this method once when I was out of Windex. It even worked on a Permanent Sharpee mark that was accidentally applied.

But I never had a case where Windex didn't loosen old dry-erase ink. I typically use Expo. That ink gets a little harder to erase with A LOT of time, but never impossible if you can use windex. Do you remember what brand marker you were using? That may be something they need to know.

Droogie

Explorer
I love my tact-tiles, but my only gripe is that I wish the lines were a bit thinner or lighter. Kinda heavy, too. Other than that...grrreat

IronWolf

blank
Another favorable vote for Tact-Tiles. I love mine, the being able to move one square from one place to another without erasing the whole map is great. As for leaving them marked on for two long, I frequently forget to clean them between our sessions every two weeks and I have had no issues getting the marks off.

Kuld

Explorer
Thanks for all the good info. I have a dry erase mat that is a few years old and doesn't "dry-erase" any more. I even tried some of the more expensive markers. I was thinking that it was just too old and porous.

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
I still use laminates more than the Chessex mat I've got.

Petrol cleans the things pretty well, too. But clean 'em outside.

Also if you've used cheap laminate, it's just possible that the plastic might melt... But it cleans mine right up!

cmanos

First Post
put down a piece of plexiglass, or glass over top of the battle map and use isopropyl alcohol to remove the marker after it has dried.

MarauderX

Explorer
cmanos said:
put down a piece of plexiglass, or glass over top of the battle map and use isopropyl alcohol to remove the marker after it has dried.

No way, that's just crazy to go out of your way to create work. Just get the tact-tiles, you won't be sorry. They are easily the best game product I have gotten outside of the SRD.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Garnfellow said:
The best I've ever used, hands down, is Tact-tiles: http://www.bc-products.net/Index.html

It's basically a set of modular, gridded tiles that snap together. There are many raves about this product out on the net -- I think it may have debuted at the last GenCon.

And I'll chime in on the raves about the tact tiles. They're a godsend for us to map out encounters. :D They're very easy to clean! Just a dry paper towel swiped across them and voila! They're CLEAN!! ;) Not to mention easily portable.

All of my DMs now own a set of them and they all love them! :cool:

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Brottor Dankil said:
I've seen and played on the first prototypes of clear Tact-Tiles at MidSouthCon in Memphis 3 or 4 weekends ago. They've got a few bugs to work out, but from what I've seen they are almost there. Dry-erase coating is as great as ever (NO Staining!).

The first Tact-Tiles I saw were white. Though they may have been prototypes too. If enough people bug them about it, they might do another run of white. They said they chose grey because the lighter markers like yellow are barely visible on white.

That's all the intel I have for now, I'll keep an eye out for more! ;)

They're sort of a beige or grey color. I can tell for sure this afternoon when I go gaming! ;) But they're a nice neutral color, NOT white.

The clear ones might be nice....

They're super easy to clean! Can't emphasize that convenience enough! Just like the fact you can rearrange them as needed. :cool:

Remove ads