Dry Erase Battle Mat

haiiro

First Post
MarauderX said:
No way, that's just crazy to go out of your way to create work. Just get the tact-tiles, you won't be sorry.

The one major benefit of cmanos' suggestion is that you can reuse the map later -- which you can't do with Tact-Tiles. My current FR campaign reused maps regularly, and it was nice to have them on paper rather than having to redraw them each time. ;)

Apart from that, one more w00t! vote for Tact-Tiles -- they are fantastic, and I'm very pleased with my set. :)

haiiro said:
My current FR campaign reused maps regularly, and it was nice to have them on paper rather than having to redraw them each time. ;)

That's why I'm psyched for transparent Tact-tiles. Nice Dundjinni maps for the repeat encounters underneat the tiles.

Silverleaf

First Post
MarauderX said:
No way, that's just crazy to go out of your way to create work. Just get the tact-tiles, you won't be sorry. They are easily the best game product I have gotten outside of the SRD.

Plexiglass is no different than whiteboard. If you let the ink sit for a long time, you have to wipe harder. Or just grab an alcolhol bottle and spray the surface a bit or moisten the rag, and it comes right off.
The advantage is that plexiglass is cheap, and you can slide any kind of battlemat under it (hex or squares, different grid sizes, etc.) or even a regular map for that matter. Heck, if your table is big enough, you can cover it with plexiglass and slide your campaign setting map under it, so it's always in view, and then chart courses on it, show army movements, etc.

F.C.Desoya

First Post
MarauderX said:
No way, that's just crazy to go out of your way to create work. Just get the tact-tiles, you won't be sorry. They are easily the best game product I have gotten outside of the SRD.

I admit I have used the tact-tiles and they are great! But for years I used a 3'x5' sheet of clear film I got at a drafting supply store for almost nothing. Over the years I have used various grids underneath the plastic. That has always been the problem...finding a good grid.

haiiro

First Post
F.C.Desoya said:
I admit I have used the tact-tiles and they are great! But for years I used a 3'x5' sheet of clear film I got at a drafting supply store for almost nothing. Over the years I have used various grids underneath the plastic. That has always been the problem...finding a good grid.

I use 1" square graph paper that comes in big rolls -- about 3-4' wide and around 60' long per roll. Works like a charm. :)

beldar1215

Explorer
I also have Tact-tiles. Mine get lots of use (2-3 times a week) and I've noticed that they a getting scratched up. They also have some pencil marks on them that I can't get off. I'm more worried about the scratchs than anything else. Other than those few problems I love them.

Last edited:

JoeGKushner

First Post
I enjoy Tact-Tiles for a few reasons.

1. Easy clean up.

2. Modular. If I need only a tile or two, I just take out a tile or two.

3. Easy to store. Those mats are a pain to store. Had to buy some holiday mailing tubes to finally put them away.

haiiro

First Post
beldar1215 said:
I also have Tact-tiles. Mine get lots of use (2-3 times a week) and I've noticed that they a getting scratched up. They also have some pencil marks on them that I can't get off. I'm more worried about the scratchs than anything else. Other than those few problems I love them.

What's scratching them up -- mini bases? They seem so tough, I'm surprised they're easy to scratch.

IronWolf

blank
beldar1215 said:

Mine do not get nearly the use yours do - generally a game every other week. No scratches yet, but I do use the styrofoam-like dividers that came with them and make sure the surfaced sided never sit against each other during transport (which is done in a leather messenger type bag).

Ds Da Man

First Post
dreaded_beast said:
Window markers?

Hmm, so windows markers should be easier to erase from lamenated plastic then?

Yea, they kinda dry differently then standard dry erase, and come off without any cleaner. Note: DO NOT USE window cleaner on Lexan, you will shorten its life. We use Lexan here at work for making guards around machinery, and its printed on the peel of protectant covering. You should use a mild soap and warm water, with a non-abrasive wipe (sold for cleaning your glasses lenses.)

Wow, just seen the Tact-Tiles sight and that is the Schiz-nit!!!! Have to invest in those!

Last edited:

Remove ads