World's Largest Dungeon...come and go?

Ghost2020

Adventurer
Anyone thought of making the WLD a come and go type of dungeon? How badly would it affect it if the group could leave and come back?

Psion

Adventurer
My players don't know this yet, but one of the faces of the cubic gate I gave them leads to the WLD (and has the power to leave it.)

I personally decided that there is nothing I hate more in a published adventure as being stuck in it. While I appreciate the auhtor's efforts to limit the tactical options of players to make a challenge, I find that no adventure is interesting enough to run for 20 levels.

EricNoah

Adventurer
I don't know that they did it ONLY to reduce tactical options. I think they also did it to explain why all of these critters are there and why they don't leave.

But I agree -- D&D is partially about resource management; and it's hard to manage resources if you can't go out to get fresh supplies, spend money, craft items, etc. A special magic item just for getting in and out seems like just the ticket.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Since the premise of it is a
celestial prison
, the restriction on coming and going makes sense.

But I would suggest altering the premise and doing exactly what you are suggesting, Ghost2020.

Minor spoiler below (highlight to reveal):

I'd say something like, all *OUTSIDERS* (and/or Extraplanars) are trapped within - not others.

There are some plot things that need to be tweaked, however. For example, the orcs in the first room believe they are trapped inside. If you remove that restriction You'd have to alter their reason for staying there rather than simply walking out.

However, I think it would make the WLD a much better fit for my play style.

What if the PCs had the ONLY key in existance that could escape the WLD? And what if some big bad wanted to get some henchmen/release his favored minion? And what if the big bad knew that the players had the key?

Sounds like a cool campaign to me. You'd have reasons to go into the WLD while still interacting with the larger world.

Psion said:
My players don't know this yet, but one of the faces of the cubic gate I gave them leads to the WLD (and has the power to leave it.)

I personally decided that there is nothing I hate more in a published adventure as being stuck in it. While I appreciate the auhtor's efforts to limit the tactical options of players to make a challenge, I find that no adventure is interesting enough to run for 20 levels.

spectre72

First Post
I am running WLD so her is my take on it.

If you were to allow players to leave the dungeon/Prison then what would stop the evil within from escaping.

I think that allowing characters to go in and out would be a bad thing, in fact I have implemented many rules from Fantasy Flight Games Legend and Lair series to make the dungeon more oppressive and take advantage of them being trapped.

Things like...

Not being able to get adequte rest because they are not equiped for a long stay (no warm clothes)

Character races that are not use to living underground and are stuck underground for extended periods taking a minus to attacks and such from the oppressive environment, but gaining more experience from the experience (eventually wears off as they gain more experience).

I am also keeping track of food and supplies and am waiting for the archer to run out of arrows, this is creating alot of good roleplaying as characters try to conserve while exploring.

It is also forcing them to take chances that they wouldn't normally if they think they may find food, water, or other equipment.

I am really playing up the WLD as a prison created by the God of Justice, and I just don't think that would work if the front door was open.

Also, things like disease and ability drain at lower levels become much less scary when the next town over has a cleric that can help you. And don't even get me going on raise dead
;)

I think that being able to come and go as they please would allow many things which I do not want in my campaign, but that does not mean it is wrong for yours.

Maybe later on they will find another way in and out, but not for a few levels :]

MoonZar

Explorer
Ghost2020 said:
Anyone thought of making the WLD a come and go type of dungeon? How badly would it affect it if the group could leave and come back?

I'm currently dming this module.

I think this could be a mistake to allow the players to leave and come back, this gonna take forever to finish this module.

If you play each two week this could take 4-5 years to finish it and if u play each week maybe around two years. If you allow then to leave, you'll have roleplay in town, distraction and more...

You should don't allow them to leave, put item they need somewhere on the road and that it. If you want more roleplay allow the players to find some prisonners they can rescue and train, they could even build a small city in the dungeon to have a backup place if something go wrong.

They have many forge in Region A they could use to craft anything they need. Just allow them to find tools, material and you're in business.

Also i agree with most of the argument of spectre72, the survival factor is a good opportunity to roleplay.

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
MoonZar said:
I think this could be a mistake to allow the players to leave and come back, this gonna take forever to finish this module.

That you want to explore the whole dungeon is a bit of a foregone assumption.

MoonZar

Explorer
Psion said:
That you want to explore the whole dungeon is a bit of a foregone assumption.

hehehehe well maybe :) but my players told be that they are up to it, we'll see how far they will go.

spectre72

First Post
Also there can be many roleplaying opportunities within the dungeon that can easily be introduced by the DM.

I have introduced an annoying Lantern Archon that is "Helping" the poor lost souls that have accideintly enterred the prison.

There have also been many sections that have revolved around how to find supplies and stay alive which have been quite interesting.

My group have found that they are trapped in a prison created by one of the players gods and they are now trying to figure out how to get back out.

They will not explore all sections of the dungeon but they are not leaving until I am ready for them to leave. :]

You should have seen the look on their faces when they figured out what they had gotten themselves into during their first conversation with the lantern archon....

Priceless :)

Remove ads