World's Largest Dungeon...come and go?

MoonZar

Explorer
jrients said:
It's as simple as that, then? Maybe I'll get it now.

* SPOILERS *

Yeah this very sample, the players have to pass a door and no form of light can show what is beyond because of a Darkness. After they walk in the door they can't simply go back because they have a wall of force (caster level 20) who prevent people from going back and a silence area who prevent people to tell the other what is beyond. That's it...

pheaver

First Post
I've been allowing my PCs to leave, and it certainly adds to the fun. Making the dungeon a big trap isn't a good choice, IMO. It makes the PCs goals a little too unheroic for my taste: scrounging for arrows and food doesn't make for a grand adventure. I liked focusing on the task at hand in section A: finding the remnants of Longtail's group and putting together the clues to fix the fiendish problem. Besides, food becomes a non-issue once the cleric can prepare Create Food and Water: one casting plus a Purify the next day keeps up food supplies at a small cost in spell slots.

I put the WLD in Xendrik in a fairly inhospitable mountainous area. Why hasn't the evil left if I allow people to come and go? Because no one knew about the crack in the earth leading to region A besides Longtail & crew and now, the adventuring group. The orcs in the first room don't leave because they don't know where they'd need to go, and doubt they are strong enough with the disease to make it back home. They figure it's better to die resting in a corner rather than fall off a mountain.

Returning to the base camp, PCs can sell their stuff or buy new stuff. It takes several days for money or equipment to get back to them, so they explore more in the meantime. They find more stuff, and the cycle continues. It's been working very well. I don't think my group would be having as much fun if I said they couldn't leave.

Paul

spectre72

First Post
pheaver said:
I've been allowing my PCs to leave, and it certainly adds to the fun.

Whatever works for you and your group.

I just choose to play WLD differently, neither of our play styles are wrong.

But they sure are different :D

The main thing is that your players have fun.

Scott

Arnwyn

First Post
DaveMage said:
I'm glad they are doing Undermountain, but how useful is this feature if they do 1 room/month? I don't get it.
It isn't useful. Especially when the 3 rooms they've done have already been done previously.

Something new, please.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
arnwyn said:
It isn't useful. Especially when the 3 rooms they've done have already been done previously.

Something new, please.

Maybe it's some sort of feeler to see how popular the feature is, and if it gets enough hits, they'll do a real product. It certainly doesn't make much sense to me.

MoonZar

Explorer
DaveMage said:
Maybe it's some sort of feeler to see how popular the feature is, and if it gets enough hits, they'll do a real product. It certainly doesn't make much sense to me.

I don't know maybe they expect people to ask for more and they will release undermontain in 3.5. I just hope they will put something in all the empty room in the 2nd edition release heheh

Ghost2020

Adventurer
Yeah, that was a huge disapointment. I really liked Greyhawk Ruins just for the fact that the thing was complete! No grid on the map, but hey....it was complete.

Jim Hague

First Post
Whoa, hey. Sorry I've been missing this thread. Hi, Ghost! Glad to see we've got a new inductee into the poor foo...err...amazing GMs and DMs exploring the World's Largest Dungeon. :) I'm Jim (big J jim, instead of the line developer, jim pinto), and I wrote a little bit of the WLD. Thus, having introduced myself, stroked my own ego, I'll weigh in.

Nothing wrong with letting PCs venture in and out, I think - in fact, the elven enclave run by Jacen and Silmarien was specifically designed with that option in mind. Given the relative deadliness of that Region, I'd advise that you not start PCs at first level. My advice is to look over the tome, select some spots that seem likely, and decide whether the teleport blocks and wards against getting in and out would apply to a PC group...or, if you want to be really mean to your players, have the blocks and wards work intermittently; the WLD, after all, is in something of a mess...

Ghost2020

Adventurer
Greetings!
Yup, had the tome since the first week it was out. Ooooh...intermittant chances of getting out...I like that....ohhh...that's mean. It'd be even better if only half the party got out before the magics went wonky...nice.

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
In spite of me being ...ahem... a "fan boy".

Run the WLD. Don't run it all. Run what you want. Change what you want.
Some people will love it.
Some will like it.
Some won't care.
Some won't like it.
And some will despise it.

I love it. My players love it.
But not 100% of the time. I will often throw some changes in there to match my/our play style, to fix something I don't like or don't understand, or just want to.

Just have fun.

Remove ads