Shifter razorclaw build

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
I'm trying to build a character around an Eberron shifter with the razorclaw trait. For those that don't know a razorclaw shifter gains two claws that do 1d4 damage while he is shifted. He can make a single attack with one claw or a full attack with two claws and even at high levels can't make more than one attack with a single claw. I'm trying to be more of the high melee damage dealer in the party. I've come found about every option to increase damage, but each one trades off with how often I can shift

This is dungeon centered campaign (WLD to be exact) and I'm trying to make a character that isn't a one shot pony. I would like to be able to use my claw attacks as often as possible without having to rest after every two or three encounters. It's also a lower level campaign where I'm expecting to max out somewhere around lvl 10 to 12. We are currently level 5 and this will be my replacement character if my current one should happen to expire. So I should be able to create this character at a minimum of 5th and possibly 6th.

The problem I am running in to is that a shifter can only shift once per day. He can get another shift per day for every two shifter feats. The duration of each shift is 3+con modifier rounds +1 for every shifter feat. Feats aren't exactly the most common items and there isn't exactly a lot of shifter feats. Plus, since they aren't on any of the bonus lists, they can only be taken at 1,3,6,9,12, etc.

The shifter druid racial substitution levels does replace the druids wild shap ability with extra shifting on a one to one basis, but that still leaves me at most 3/day at level 5 and 5/day at level 7. That seems to be the best route so far, but it leaves me with low damage.

I can get Improved natural attack at lvl 6 and I can quallify for the weretouched master at BAB +4. Both increase my damage by one step. Weretouched master also allows bonus shifter feats at lvls 2 and 4 but every WM level is one less druid level I can use for the number of times per day I can shift. The only magic I can find that would help is the Druids Vestment that allows one extra wild shape per day. That would translate into one extra shift per day at a cost of 10,000g. That's a big chunk of my budget for one extra fight per day.

Another option I can use is taking one level of barbarian and getting the shifter rage(?) feat that allows my natural attack damage to be increased 2 steps and have improved crit with them. This requires BAB +6 and the rage ability. You have to rage and shift at the same time to get the benefits though. I can get the extra rage feat for more raging per day, but this still leaves me struggling on the number of times I can shift per day. If I go this route then I'll pick up barbarian at 6th so I can get extra rage at the same time.

So if anyone can offer any suggestions on how to increase the number of times I can shift per day and still get good damage I would be most appreciative. I'm not too concerned with being a tank, we have a dwarf in one of the heavy plates from races of stone using a tower sheild, so he's at ac 25 at lvl 4 with no ac enhancing magic.

Also if anyone can think of any other combinations, classes, or abilities I might have overlooked to increase my combat effectiveness? Lvl 5 of weretouched master would give me a massive boost to str for damage (+12 tiger option) but once again, that's alot of levels that don't contribute to my sustained adventuring capabilites.

Thanks

Ahrimon

Last edited:

korasukage

First Post
shifter claw craziness

Here is something you can try, it also uses what you listed below...

barbarian 1/druid 8/weretouched master 4

This gives you a bab 10, 4th lvl druid spells, and saves of 12/6/7, and decent hit points. Take the shifter druid racial substitution levels.

Here are some feat suggestions: shifter savagery, shifter instincts, shifter trait: longtooth, tireless(*), extra rage, imp natural attack. Also note that you have 2 bonus shifter related feats from weretouched master.

So you can shift around 6/day(not sure if this is correct don't have my books with me), you also can rage 3/day, without suffering from fatigue due to the tireless feat.

This will net you 5 size increases to your natural attacks(+1 size increase from imp nat att, +1 size increase from druid lvl 8 using shifter sub lvl, +1 size increase from weretouched master, +2 size increase from shifter savagery)

Just pick yourself up a fanged ring(dragon magazine, 10k) which increases your natural attacks another size category. Also try to grab the magical item in Races of Eberron that casts enlarge person whenever a shifter shifts(I think it is something that you braid into your hair). Actually there is another item in Savage Species that also increases natural attack damage I think it was called clawed gauntlets or some such thing.

So in a nutshell you could get as much as +7 size increases to your natural weapons if you are lucky.

Hope this helps.

(*) tireless is a FR feat that reduces fatigue

edit...forgot to mention the fact that coupled with the pounce ability that weretouched master grants, you could charge and do a full attack for a very scary amount of damage :)

Last edited:

Remove ads