Counterspell and Winning Initative

Bronn Spellforger

First Post
I'm sure this has been answered before, but I'm trying to figure out how to use a Counterspell.

1. Do you have to win initative against the other spellcaster to counter his spell? The PHB says you must have the action readied ... and I'm guessing you can't ready an action until it's your turn in the initiative. But if you do miss initiative in the first round, could you delay your action, and then be able to counter any future spells?

2. It seems that a 1st level Wizard could counter a 9th level Wizard's magic missle spell. Although the 9th level Wizard get 5 missles, his one would counteract them all! Is this right? This has been dealt with before.. but was there any agreement?

Thanks!

Michael Morris

First Post
Caster Level and even applied metamagic feats are irrelevant to a spell's eligability for counterspelling. A stilled, silenced, maximized, empowered, magic missile cast by a 15th level wizard can still be counterspelled by his 1st level apprentice.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
A readied action does not require a delay. By itself, it is applicable until your next action in your next round where you get to decide whether to do it again or not.

So, the only spells you could not attempt to counter is one in a surprise round or one in the first round where the opposing spell caster had a better initiative.

After that, you can declare a ready action to counterspell the opposing caster's spells every round and if you have the same spell, you will be successful. If you are using Dispel Magic, Greater Dispel Magic, or Silence, your success rate will be dependent on other factors (such as dice rolls, levels, whether your opponent is casting a Silent Spell version of his spell, etc.).

Wolf72

Explorer
does heighten spell affect counterspelling or just the DC?

that would be a very sneaky way to get around that 1st lvl mage (or you could just shoot him with your heavy crossbow)

graydoom

First Post
Bronn Spellforger said:
1. Do you have to win initative against the other spellcaster to counter his spell? The PHB says you must have the action readied ... and I'm guessing you can't ready an action until it's your turn in the initiative. But if you do miss initiative in the first round, could you delay your action, and then be able to counter any future spells?
You don't even need to delay your action. You can just ready to counterspell. You would stay readied to counterspell until your turn in the next round came along.

2. It seems that a 1st level Wizard could counter a 9th level Wizard's magic missle spell. Although the 9th level Wizard get 5 missles, his one would counteract them all!
Correct. The spell Magic Missile will always counter the spell Magic Missile, regardless of caster level or metamagic feats, as long as it is the same spell. Heighten Spell does not affect counterspelling. See page 152 PHB.

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Bronn Spellforger said:
... and I'm guessing you can't ready an action until it's your turn in the initiative. But if you do miss initiative in the first round, could you delay your action, and then be able to counter any future spells?

Correct, you have to win initiative (this had not been answered before literally). The rest: If you replace "delay", as mentioned by graydoom, fine as well.

Rav

MythandLore

First Post
Bronn Spellforger said:
I'm sure this has been answered before, but I'm trying to figure out how to use a Counterspell.

2. It seems that a 1st level Wizard could counter a 9th level Wizard's magic missle spell. Although the 9th level Wizard get 5 missles, his one would counteract them all! Is this right? This has been dealt with before.. but was there any agreement?

Thanks!

1. There is also a feat now that lets you counterspell even if you don't have a readied action as long as you haven't taken an atcion yet.

2. Yeppers

Remove ads