Eberron: The Chaos Effect Complete once more Happy Thanksgiving Everyone

lonesoldier

First Post
GUESS WHAT!

I found that my sister has a copy of Sharn, The City of Towers on her computer. While I will not discuss it's legitamacy, can I use the contents inside it?

---

Also, my background it a little cheesy. Kidnapped as a child, raised in a monastic order in Sharn. I have a paragraph, but it will get some serious expansion. It's 11:35 right now, so I'll finish off the mechanical details now. Write the background and appearance in school and post it when I get home from work.

If all goes as planned my character will be totally complete by 8PM MST tomorrow.

Bront

The man with the probe
megamania said:
I like the noble's background. It has a lot of game possibilities and gives reason for his adventuring. Did you have ideas for the background of the two changlings or are you sticking with the human?

Noble is fine, assuming I can do one of the two following things.

Are you allowing the fighter to replace the 3 skills I asked for (Not a balance issue, and obviously a background thing) or the Aristocrat NPC class tweeked with the fighter feats? Either one works, though the Aristocrat class works a bit better I think, but I can work with both.

Otherwise, I'll draw up a background for the changelings. I don't think I can quite pull off the feel of the noble character without one of the above two options.

I'm crunching numbers for both the fighter and aristocrat, and I'll post what I come up with in about 30 min or so.

Btw, no problem with disallowing the homebrew class. I'm still tweeking it anyway. The other two things I'm asking are a bit less of an issue.

As for using my background against me, go nuts. I stick it out there for use in addition to flavor. I was vague on locations because it lets you add your little tidbits (a good background works with the GM).

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
lonesoldier said:
GUESS WHAT!

I found that my sister has a copy of Sharn, The City of Towers on her computer. While I will not discuss it's legitamacy, can I use the contents inside it?
You're allowed to use any Eberron book.

Bront

The man with the probe
Vander d'Deneith
Aristocrat (NPC Class with fighter feats to balance):
Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Vander d'Deneith
[B]Class:[/B] Aristocrat (4) Dragonmark Heir (1)
[B]Race:[/B] Human
[B]Size:[/B] Medium
[B]Gender:[/B] Male
[B]Alignment:[/B] LG
[B]Deity:[/B] Dol Arrah

[B]Str:[/B] 16 +3 (8p.)     [B]Level:[/B] 5        [B]XP:[/B] 10000/150000
[B]Dex:[/B] 13 +1 (5p.)     [B]BAB:[/B] +3         [B]HP:[/B] 36 (5D8+5)
[B]Con:[/B] 13 +1 (5p.)     [B]Grapple:[/B] +6     [B]Dmg Red:[/B] XX/XXXX
[B]Int:[/B] 14 +2 (6p.)     [B]Speed:[/B] 20'      [B]Spell Res:[/B] XX
[B]Wis:[/B] 10 +0 (2p.)     [B]Init:[/B] +5        [B]Spell Save:[/B] +X
[B]Cha:[/B] 14 +2 (6p.)     [B]ACP:[/B] -8/4       [B]Spell Fail:[/B] XX%

[B]Base  Armor Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B] Plate        10    +8    +2    +1    +0    +0    +0    21
[B]Armor:[/B] Chain        10    +4    +2    +1    +0    +0    +0    17
[B]Touch:[/B] 11              [B]Flatfooted:[/B] 18/14
-+1 Dodge bonus vs 1 opponent

[B]Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]                      3    +1    +1    +5
[B]Ref:[/B]                       3    +1    +1    +5
[B]Will:[/B]                      6    +0    +1    +7

[B]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/B]
Warhammer +1              +7      1d8+4      20 x3
Longsword (MW)            +7      1d8+3     19-20x2
Dagger (10')              +7(6)   1d4+3     19-20x2
Comp Longbow(110')        +7      1d8+3      20 X3

[B]Languages:[/B] Common, Elven, Gnome

[B]Abilities:[/B] 
Human Racial Abilities (Bonus Feat, bonus skill points)
House Status (Adds DMH level to all CHR related skills when dealing with house)
-Dragonmark: Mark of Sentinal
--+2 to Sense Motive
--Shield of Faith (2nd Level Caster 2/day (+2 Deflection Bonus to AC, 2 Minutes, Touch)
--Protection From Energy (7th Level Caster) 1/Day (Absorbs 84 points of Elemental Damage, 70 Minutes, Touch)

[B]Feats:[/B] 
1st Race: Least DragonMark (Mark of Sentinal)
1st: Favored in House
1st A: Combat Expertese
2st A: Improved Initiative
3rd: Quickdraw
4st A: Dodge
4th Atb: STR
5th DMH: Lesser Dragonmark

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 56       [B]Max Ranks:[/B] 8/4
[B]Skills                   Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
Diplomacy (Chr)            7    +2   +4     +13*
Sense Motive (Wis)         7    +0   +2     +9
Ride (Dex)                 5    +1   +2     +8
Bluff (Chr)                5    +2          +7*
Intimidate(Chr)            5    +2   +2     +9*
Handle Animal (Chr)        5    +2          +7
Gather Information (Chr)   5    +2          +7*
Kn: Nobility (Int)         3    +2          +3
Kn: Arcane (Int)           1    +2          +3
Kn: History (Int)          5    +2          +7
Spot                       4    +0          +4
Listen                     4    +0          +4
* - House Status Bonus possable

[B]Equipment:               Cost  Weight[/B]
Heavy Steel Shield	 20	15
Full Plate Mail	         1500	50
War hammer (+1)	         2312	6
Longsword (MW)	         315	5
Dagger	                 2	1
Comp Longbow +3 STR (MW) 700	2
Arrows (40) (MW)	         242	6
Cloak of Resistance +1	 1000	
Flint/Steel		 1      -
Arcane Signet Ring	         150	-
10 Chalk	         0.1	-
Bedroll	                 5	5

Handy Haversack	         2000	5 (H denotes in sack)
Cure Light Potion (2)	 100	H
Chain Shirt	         100	H 25
Crowbar	                 2	H 5
10 Pitons	         1	H 5
100 ft Silk Rope	 20	H 10
5 Sun Rods	         10	H 5
10 Days Trail Rations	 5	H 10
3 Water Skins	         3	H 12
3 Oil Flasks	         3	H 3
Whetstone	         0.02	H 1

Heavy War Horse	         400	Lots
Leather Barding	         40	Horse
Military Saddle	         20	Horse

[B]Total Weight:[/B]95lb      [B]Money:[/B] 43gp 8sp 8cp

[B]Lgt   Med   Hvy  Lift  Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]                76   153   230   230   920

[B]Age:[/B] 22
[B]Height:[/B] 6'01"
[B]Weight:[/B] 187lb
[B]Eyes:[/B] Brown
[B]Hair:[/B] Brown
[B]Skin:[/B] Tan
Appearance: Vander is a fairly handsome man, with a carved physique, and noble stature. His dark brown hair is short and curly, with a finely trimmed beard covering his face. His eyes are captivating and always alert, though there is a bit of sadness behind them if you look deep enough. His armor is well cared for, but not the finery you might expect from a house noble. However, there is a noble air to him that escapes definition. Armed and ready, his is an imposing figure for an opponent to find in his path.

Background: Vander d‘Deneith was a Deneith house favorite long before his dragonmark surfaced. Being the 7th son of the wealthy and influential Baron Corin d’Deneith, Vander was often left to the care of others, and rarely spent time with his father. Perhaps Corin blamed Vander for his wife’s death, as she died during Vander’s birth. Vander’s older brothers reveled in the power and influence that their status and wealth gave them, and they played up their status as much as possible. They would often put servants in awkward positions, or make them do ridiculous things. Others in the House saw this lack of discipline and grew to generally dislike the elder sons.

Vander, however, spent a lot of time with the servants, and saw the humiliation and strain that was thrust upon them. He refused to play upon his power, and as a result was often viewed with favor among the servants and respect among the House. The elder sons saw this and would often do what they could to keep Vander from view. Eventually, many in the house knew of Vander, but few had ever met him.

Vander spent a lot of time working on his skills, often due to “Bogus” training exercises concocted by his older brothers to keep him out of sight. He trained with his father’s steward, Sir Garret Bender, in the ways of war, diplomacy and the ways of the court, and many of the servants in the ways of the outside of court. As he and his brothers grew older, Corin began to rely on the elder sons more, and relegated Garret to a more custodial role with his estate. Garret continued to spend time with Vander, and Vander regarded Garret as much as a father as a guide.

On his 16th birthday, Vander’s dragonmark manifested. This brought him some attention that none of his brothers had gotten, and Corin took a more personal interest in the doings of his youngest son. He saw his son blossoming into a truly noble character, and continued to let Garret and the estate servants take an active role in Vander’s upbringing. However, he made sure to bring Vander to several social functions despite the brother’s best attempts to keep him out. Vander made quite the impression in the House, and quickly became the favored son as far as many of the other nobles of the House were concerned.

Things changed drastically on his 18th Birthday. Just prior to the celebration, a changeling assassin killed Corin. The assassin was quickly dispatched, but there was no clue as to who had hired it nor why. When going to see Garret, he overhead his eldest brother Sorin speaking to him. Garret was informing Sorin that Corin had willed the estate to Vander. Enraged by this, Sorin killed Garret, made it look like the assassin had done it earlier, and then destroyed the will. Vander, fearing he was next, quickly used a house connection to flee the estate.

Since that day, Vander has worked for the Houses Defender’s guild, keeping a fairly low profile. He has been able to use his connections to keep his activities in the guild fairly quiet, but he has an exemplary record of performance, and is well known for his nobility in word and deed. He has spent much of his days looking over his shoulder in fear of an unknown assassin, and he continues to look to find out why his father was killed when he was. It has been four years since Vander left his home, and nearly as long since the war ended.

(Que GM ;))

Skill Math
Aristocrat (7*7=49)
Diplomacy (Chr): 7
Sense Motive (Wis): 7
Ride (Dex): 3
Bluff (Chr): 5
Intimidate(Chr): 3
Handle Animal (Chr): 5
Kn: Nobility (Int): 3
Kn: History (Int): 5
Gather Information (Chr): 3
Spot (Wis): 4
Listen (wis): 4

Dragonmark Heir (7*1)
Kn: Arcane: +1
Ride: +2
Gather Information: +2
Intimidate: +2

HD Rolls: 8,8,5,4,6 (in order of level gained)

On a side note, Vander is likely to want to try to aquire Mithril Full Plate. Any chance I could have used a house favor to aquire it at a discount (I will rework gear if needed)? If not, he'll likely be looking for it in game.
FYI, this would be his only Pre-game use of the feat. Mithral Full Plate normaly costs 10,500 gp, and simply weighs half as much, allows 2 more max dex (not an issue at the moment) and removes 3 poins of the armor mod. Makes him a bit more moble, which is something he values.
Might also be interested in a Magebread Warhorse (extra 400 GP). Obviously, this is much cheaper.

Edited: Bought gear (Assuming no Mithril Full Plate). Should be ready for full aproval. Moving background into character sheet (Which will move to a character thread as needed). Added a time reference and space for GM to fill in any little filler he wants. Fixed Initiative, tweeked gear, added house favor use wishlist.

Edit: Fixed HP, other math. Moved skill math out of sheet.

Edit: Added appearance, fixed a few more math mistakes, should be all done.

Last edited:

lonesoldier said:
GUESS WHAT!

---

Also, my background it a little cheesy. Kidnapped as a child, raised in a monastic order in Sharn. I have a paragraph, but it will get some serious expansion. It's 11:35 right now, so I'll finish off the mechanical details now. Write the background and appearance in school and post it when I get home from work.

If all goes as planned my character will be totally complete by 8PM MST tomorrow.

That would be an Eberron book so yup

Cheesy is fine so long as it is possible. Look at the average plot to a Jackie Chan movie but the movies are still fun to watch! :D

Bront

The man with the probe
FYI, here's the Aristocrat NPC class per SRD

ARISTOCRAT
Hit Die: d8.
Class Skills
The aristocrat’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (all skills taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Speak Language, Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Survival (Wis).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) x4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Table: The Aristocrat
Code:
Leve BAB Fort  Ref 	Wil
1st	+0		+0	+0	+2
2nd	+1		+0	+0	+3
3rd	+2		+1	+1	+3
4th	+3		+1	+1	+4
5th	+3		+1	+1	+4
6th	+4		+2	+2	+5
7th	+5		+2	+2	+5
8th	+6/+1		+2	+2	+6
9th	+6/+1		+3	+3	+6
10th	+7/+2		+3	+3	+7
11th	+8/+3		+3	+3	+7
12th	+9/+4		+4	+4	+8
13th	+9/+4		+4	+4	+8
14th	+10/+5		+4	+4	+9
15th	+11/+6/+1	+5	+5	+9
16th	+12/+7/+2	+5	+5	+10
17th	+12/+7/+2	+5	+5	+10
18th	+13/+8/+3	+6	+6	+11
19th	+14/+9/+4	+6	+6	+11
20th	+15/+10/+5	+6	+6	+12

Class Features
The following is a class feature of the aristocrat NPC class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The aristocrat is proficient in the use of all simple and martial weapons and with all types of armor and shields.

------
My thought, to make this a PC class, is add the fighter feats to it. Simple, not overtly powerfull (Loose out on BAB and HD of fighter, access to weapon specialization, but gain 2 more skill points and a larger skill selection)

Last edited:

Bront said:
Noble is fine, assuming I can do one of the two following things.

Are you allowing the fighter to replace the 3 skills I asked for (Not a balance issue, and obviously a background thing) or the Aristocrat NPC class tweeked with the fighter feats? Either one works, though the Aristocrat class works a bit better I think, but I can work with both.

Btw, no problem with disallowing the homebrew class. I'm still tweeking it anyway. The other two things I'm asking are a bit less of an issue.

As for using my background against me, go nuts. I stick it out there for use in addition to flavor. I was vague on locations because it lets you add your little tidbits (a good background works with the GM).

Yes to either. I can deal with those skill switches or you can go Aristrocat. Just let me know which for the final draft so I can note it when doublechecking skills/ranks

I'm new to creating prestige classes myself so I understand the desire but also know it is hard to second guess the balance sometimes.

backgrounds are what makes the characters. Difference of role vs roll playing. I try to reward good backgrounds by making them a part of the story.

megamania said:
IN ARE:
lonesoldier with Human Ninja
sleppystyle with human cleric
bront deneith fighter/noble

RUNNERS:
Jdvn1 unknown
samnell psion or psionics user
krug gnome artificer

REMEMBER- first six in with characters and background get to seek the artifact in the story I'm calling "THE CHAOS EFFECT"

As for others- if you get a character in before the runners you may be in.

Looks like I better get going on designing the NPCs... quickly!

Bront

The man with the probe
megamania said:
Yes to either. I can deal with those skill switches or you can go Aristrocat. Just let me know which for the final draft so I can note it when doublechecking skills/ranks

I'm new to creating prestige classes myself so I understand the desire but also know it is hard to second guess the balance sometimes.

backgrounds are what makes the characters. Difference of role vs roll playing. I try to reward good backgrounds by making them a part of the story.

Aristocrat with Feats is fine (It needs something, sucky NPC class normaly). I posted it (I think it works well, and it's not like I took abusive fighter feats, he's going to be a unique tank with imp shield bash and 2 weapon fighting, might not use either a lot). I like how he looks at the moment, looking at gear.

I'm new to creating classes (Core and Presteige alike), but minor tweeking isn't to bad. And obviously, you need to aprove and feel comfortable with anything. So no big deal.

Backgrounds do make a character, and I hope you get a lot of milage out of it. It's open to all sorts of things, from mysterious unnamed brothers finding him and having differing attitudes with him at this point (some may have soured against Sorin since he took the estate), Sorin himself (Did he hire the assasin? How is he handling the estate?), or the assasin and who hired him (other house? Sorin? just a lark?). Will he ever be able to reclame the estate? Will he care by then?). However, if the crunch part isn't interesting, the character could eventualy be less than desirable.

On a side note, Vander is likely to want to try to aquire Mithril Full Plate. Any chance I could have used a house favor to aquire it at a discount? If not, he'll likely be looking for it in game.
EDIT: FYI, this would be his only Pre-game use of the feat. Mithral Full Plate normaly costs 10,500 gp.

If you want, feel free to IM me. My info is in my profile (the icons by my avatar too).

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
Ok, posted the Char with everything. Let me know about the favor, and again, feel free to IM me if I'm on (Feel free to leave a message).

I'm looking forward to this.

Remove ads