Anthropomorphic Dinosaurs

thundershot

Adventurer
I've been working on my own "Ninjas, Pirates, & Dinosaurs" for my campaign, and I'm running into Savage Progressions/Level Adjustment problems with the dinosaurs...

Using the Anthro template in SS, I converted a few dinos. I noticed that none of the LA for the examples go beyond +3 (with 3 HD), so I tried not to do this. But I think I might have to in order to keep them in check. I also removed from the example Improved Grab and Swallow Whole in order to keep the LA down.

T-Rex
Medium Monstrous Humanoid
Str +2
Low-light vision, Darkvision 60 ft.

Code:
Level	Hit Dice	BAB	Fort	Ref	Will	Skills	Special
1	1d8	+1	+0	+2	+2	2x4	Feat, +2 nat armor, bite 2d4
2	1d8	+1	+0	+2	+2	-	+2 Str, +2 Con, +2 Wis
3	2d8	+2	+0	+3	+3	2	+2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Cha
4	2d8	+2	+0	+3	+3	-	+2 Str, +2 Con, +2 Wis
5	3d8	+3	+1	+3	+3	2	Feat, +2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Cha
6	3d8	+3	+1	+3	+3	-	Large size, bite 2d6, Speed 40 ft., +2 Con, +2 Wis

There are no other special abilities... but I feel that there should be more LA to them. Maybe 8 instead of 6. There are a lot of other people out there who are much better at this than I am, so I figured I'd give it a posting.... I'll post the others I have after this one gets squared away.

Thanks
Chris

evolved

First Post
my advice is to check with soldarin's ECL calculator using the full example creature with imp grab and swallow hole remember on a large creature he could only swallow up to a small creature or two

yes the Ecl my be 7 or high but just go withit for most campiegns soldarin's pretty accurate

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
The ability bonuses when the T-Rex gets to large size have already been accounted for in the table, right? So what he gets is a size penalty to attacks and AC, uses up 4 squares instead of 1, and has reach. Oh, and a bonus to grapple and a penalty to hide.

Why do you think this is too much for an ECL 6? The extra Strength helps make up for the missing BAB, the extra Constitution helps make up for the missing hit dice, but multiple attacks and feats with BAB pre-requisites are still a ways off, and hit points will be uncomfortably low. Especially as a large creature he'll have a big facing that opponents will attack along.

Remove ads