Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 3.4%

Votes: 1 3.4%

Votes: 10 34.5%

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • 10- My what big teeth you have... Aaaaa!!!!

Votes: 6 20.7%

sniffles

First Post
You sound like a man after my own heart, WizarDru. We even have the same sig line! :D

Someone just told me that tvtome has become tv.com!!

Cthulhudrew

First Post
ddvmor said:
I really enjoyed it. I, too was almost convinced that
Rose was dead
even though I new better. As for the
daleks at the end... I would guess Davros. Just curious - what pointed you towards the Master? Didn't even occur to me and doesn't really make sense... or does it?

In answer to your question-
My first thought was a revived Davros, but given that we are in for a revelation as to the origins and nature of the mysterious "Time War" we've been hinted at all season, it made more sense to me that the Master- another Time Lord, and one with ties to the Doctor- might very well be involved. It would help set up further Master/Doctor conflicts, but it may just be wishful thinking on my part. Davros may well be the "mystery" BBEG.

As for Rose- I was convinced that the Doctor would have to go back in time to rescue her, and we'd get some sort of look back at the "Father's Day" episode. That, or the transmat device thing, which is what ended up happening.

Plane Sailing questioned whether non-UK audiences would get the TV references, but speaking as a US citizen, they weren't lost on me. Both Big Brother and The Weakest Link have been shipped over to our shores (though TWL is no longer being produced), and we have enough makeover "reality" shows that the gist of Harkness' trap weren't lost on me. I did miss out on the show the Doctor discusses with "Lyndsey-with-a-Y"- something about a bear?

BTW, I thought "Lyndsey-with-a-Y" was kind of charming, and even sweet like the Doctor pointed out. I kind of doubt she'll become a companion, but I wouldn't mind seeing more of her, especially since we know that (sadly) Billie Piper is leaving. Wonder if she'll end up traveling with our crew after all?

One more from Plane Sailing:

Plane Sailing said:
One of the things that I *really* like is that they are making it plain that Rose and the Doctor have travelled to lots of places in space and time, but the TV show only covers the dramatic ones. Not every journey has been a disaster, and that is nice.

I liked that bit, too, and I am very curious as to what transpired when the Doctor, Rose, and Jack were in Kyoto. I imagine we'll probably get a book about it some day, but I tihnk that would have been a real interesting episode to see. Three white people in Japan in 1336? Hmm...

Not to mention whatever Raxicorico Philipolopia or whatever it was... Two adventures that we didn't get to see. :(

Related note- has anyone read any of the Doctor Who novels? Any recommendations or suggestions of good ones to check out?

Last edited:

WizarDru

Adventurer
Cthulhudrew said:
and we have enough makeover "reality" shows that the gist of Harkness' trap weren't lost on me.
Harkness' show was the UK version of What Not to Wear, seen here in the US on TLC. Another reference was made to the TV License, which might confuse non-UK viewers who are unfmaliar with the concept.

I liked that bit, too, and I am very curious as to what transpired when the Doctor, Rose, and Jack were in Kyoto. I imagine we'll probably get a book about it some day, but I tihnk that would have been a real interesting episode to see. Three white people in Japan in 1336? Hmm...

I personally really like the fact that they blantanly state that you're not seeing all of the things the Doctor and his crew do. That leaves a back door open for the future, suggests adventures that they've had (that might be financially difficult to film) and is just fun.

WizarDru

Adventurer
TanisFrey said:
So explain it to us dumass Americas.

At one point, when talking to Lynda-with-a-Y, the doctor points out that he's a lawbreaker, and jokes that he doesn't pay his licence, which they both laugh about. He's referring to the UK's TV Licence program. AAFAIK, in the UK, the BBC is a state-owned and operated television service and has been since it's inception. To fund the BBC, people need to purchase a licence (not unlike a driver's licence) for the right to watch TV. A colour TV Licence costs £126.50 and a black and white licence costs £42.00, and has to be renewed annually. As you might expect, many people try to skirt around paying the licence (many folks question whether the Beeb should be funded that way in the first place, especially if they don't watch the BBC). Not paying the licence, from what I can tell, is considered by many to be the equivalent of speeding or playing games with your tax return.

sniffles

First Post
Cthulhudrew said:
Related note- has anyone read any of the Doctor Who novels? Any recommendations or suggestions of good ones to check out?

I've read a number of them, and quite enjoyed most of them. At least one episode has been written by one of the book authors - Paul Cornell, who wrote "Father's Day", has done some books as well. There is some information about the Time War in several of the books, although I haven't read those yet. I'm just working my way through 'The Ancestor Cell' by Stephen Cole & Peter Anghelides - it's supposed to be a good one. There's a lot of info at
http://www.gallifreyone.com/reviews.php

I recommend any novels by Kate Orman. She's really an excellent author and has a great grasp of the Whoniverse. My particular favorite is 'Seeing I', which is part of a four-part story arc (with 'Longest Day', 'Legacy of the Daleks', and 'Dreamstone Moon').

OTOH, I really didn't care for anything written by Paul Magrs - just don't like his style.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
sniffles said:
There is some information about the Time War in several of the books, although I haven't read those yet.

I've read a brief synopsis of those books, but I'm not sure yet whether the events of those books are the same Time War that the show has been referencing all season, or if the current season's Time War is going to make those books non-canon. Guess we'll find out in a couple of days, though.

sniffles

First Post
Cthulhudrew said:
I've read a brief synopsis of those books, but I'm not sure yet whether the events of those books are the same Time War that the show has been referencing all season, or if the current season's Time War is going to make those books non-canon. Guess we'll find out in a couple of days, though.

I've heard that the BBC books are supposed to be canon, but I'm not sure now where I got that information.

Hawklord

First Post
WizarDru said:
Not paying the licence, from what I can tell, is considered by many to be the equivalent of speeding or playing games with your tax return.

Not paying the licence is considerd a criminal offence and can get you sent to jail!

I think the "big bad" is the "Emperor Dalek" who's been mentioned on and off in various Dr Who related things over the years, but not sure if he's ever appeared in an episode before! Otherwise it got to be Davros ... we'll find out in a few days time !

WizarDru

Adventurer
Hawklord said:
Not paying the licence is considerd a criminal offence and can get you sent to jail!

I think the "big bad" is the "Emperor Dalek" who's been mentioned on and off in various Dr Who related things over the years, but not sure if he's ever appeared in an episode before! Otherwise it got to be Davros ... we'll find out in a few days time !

Well, so is speeding and getting creative with your taxes. :) I mean, while it's possible to get jail time for the violation, from what I've read, a fine is much more common. Less than 200 people went to jail for it in 1999 across the whole of the UK. This Irish Examiner article mentions violating the licence in the same vein as littering on the sidewalk, for example. In Scotland, Glasgow alone counted over 14,000 offenders. So while I'm sure you could get in big trouble for it, it sounds like you really have to go out of your way to have it happen. [shrug] But I'm just guessing here...I don't live in the UK.

The Emperor Dalek is a good third place, if you ask me. Something that lends some credence to the idea is that Dalek ships look like the ones from the Doctor Who movies. Of course, it could be Davros AND the Emperor Dalek at the same time (didn't he name himself as such during the war between his Daleks and the other Daleks)?

Remove ads