[Players Chosen] Do You Have What It Takes To Join The Nameless Legion?

Harvey

First Post
Thanee said:
As an alternate concept, how about a Ghaele Eladrin (with 12 HD). :p

*tsk* *tsk*... maybe I should clarify that you can only choose creatures with LAs. Creatures that advance by hit die are a no-no. Hey, if I can't play a 12 HD Black Pudding, then no one gets to play creatures that advance in hit die :)

Branding Opportunity said:
I've had a couple of character concepts that I'd love to play (Skullcrusher ogre fighter, fiendish pixie warmage, spriggan barbarian,) but I just don't think I have the time to spare. Hope y'all have a great time! :)

:( If you change your mind between today and Friday, feel free to submit something! The pixie warmage paints an interesting picture!

Someone said:
I´d really prefer to play Sir, but here´s an alternate to make the DM´s life easier. I took a hit with the +1 ECL, but the Aasimar option was just too interesting to let it pass...

An Aasimar Favored Soul? Another interesting combo. That is what I like about this campaign... watching all the combos of characters created. And just so you don't think you're having all the fun, I'm having fun building your bosses... :)

And as for the spell storing debate, I have to reread Complete Arcane and the Sudden metamagic feat descriptions, so I will post on it in a bit...

Thanee

First Post
Harvey said:
*tsk* *tsk*... maybe I should clarify that you can only choose creatures with LAs. Creatures that advance by hit die are a no-no. Hey, if I can't play a 12 HD Black Pudding, then no one gets to play creatures that advance in hit die :)

LOL, of course it wasn't meant as a serious proposal (Hmm... Gelatinous Cube). :D

Bye
Thanee

Harvey

First Post
Thanee said:
LOL, of course it wasn't meant as a serious proposal (Hmm... Gelatinous Cube). :D

Figured that one ;) But it's not that often that you can use an ooze of any kind in an example, so I had to jump on it :)

AmorFati

First Post
I was bored, so I compiled the characters submitted so far;

Fighter types:
AmorFati: Pulp, Centaur(6) Ranger6
Tyrlaan: Gyre, Human Fighter5 / Dervish 7
Bront: ColdTac, Kalashtar Fighter5 / Warmind7
Devrimk: Sting, Gray Elf Fighter4 / Swashbuckler3 / Champion of Corellon2 / Duelist2 / Dervish1
Isida Kep'Tukari: Sul Ilumé, Lumi(4) / Fighter8

Blaster types:
Elocin: Screech, Human Warmage12
AmorFati: Scorch, Chaos Gnome(1) Warmage8 / Fire Savant3

Summoner type:
Bront: Force, Human Druid3 / Wizard4 / Arcane Hierophant5
Someone: Sir, Halfling Psion6 (shaper) / Constructor6

Healer/Buffer type:
Someone: Warfiend, Aasimar(1) Favored Soul of Hextor11

Others:
Thanee: Sylv, Gloura(9) Bard3
Albedo: Skipper, Human Ranger2 / Cleric1 / Sorc1 / Fighter2 / Horizon Walker6
Dakkareth: Shackler, Elan Psion12

Last edited:

Harvey

First Post
lol. I'm halfway done doing the same thing! Had started it last night, and was finding time to finish it today! :) Great minds think alike...

Harvey

First Post
Here is what I have for interest so far:

Code:
Albedo            Skipper, Human Ranger 2/Cleric 1/Sorc 1/Fighter 2/Horizon Walker 6 [*]
AmorFati          Pulp, Centaur Ranger 6 [*]
                  Scorch, Chaos Gnome Warmage 8/ Elemental Savant 3 [*]
Bloodcookie       Abacus, Modron Samurai 9/Ronin 1
Brain             War Weaver
Bront             ColdTac, Kalashtar Fighter 5/Warmind 7 [*]
                  Force, Human Druid 3/Wizard 4/Arcane Hierophant (RotW) 5 [*]
D20Dazza          Nycter 5/Cleric 5/Combat Medic 2
Dakkareth         Shackler, Elan Psion 12  [*]
Devrimk           Sting, Gray Elf Fighter 4/Swashbuckler 3/C. of Corellon 2/Duelist 2/Dervish 1 [*]
Elocin            Screech, Human Male Warmage 12 [*]
Ferrix            tbd
Isida Kep'Tukari  Sul Ilumé, Lumi Outsider 2/Fighter 8 [*]
Rino              something not ECL 19+
Someone           Sir, Psion 6/Constructor 6 [*]
                  Warfiend, Aasimar Favored Soul (of Hextor) 11 [*]
Thanee            Slyv, Glouda Bard 3 [*]
Tyrlaan           Gyre, Human Fighter 5/Dervish 7 [*]

[*] represents that you've posted a character sheet to the board.

Harvey

First Post
OK, here's where I am with the Sudden metamagic feat issue:

For a ring of spell storing: "Metamagic versions of spells take up storage space equal to their spell level modfied by the metamagic feat."

So, if you store an Empowered Magic Missile in the ring (or whatever), it would take up a 3rd level slot (1st level spell for Magic Missile +2 for Empower Spell). Thanee got this perfectly right, but I wanted to reiterate for sake of clarification.

For Sudden Empower, let's take a look at the rules: For a ring of spell storing, it also says "A spellcaster can cast any spells into the ring, so long as the total spell levels do not add up to more than three." For Sudden Empower, it says "Once per day, you can apply the effect of the Empower Spell feat to any spell you cast without increasing the level of the spell or specially preparing it ahead of time." So, you can blow your 1/day use of Sudden Empower to cast a Sudden Empowered Magic Missile into the ring of storing. There is an Empowered Magic Missile in the Ring with a spell level of 1 that does 1.5X the damage of a normal Magic Missile. The ring is still a use activation item, so casting that stored Magic Missile is a standard action. You've used your Sudden Empower feat that day. The next day, you can store a second Sudden Empowered Magic Missile, and the third day, a third one.

Benefit: You have a more powerful spell in a stored area.
Downside: Blown feat slot (which I believe is moot for the warmage); It would take three days to fill up the ring.

For the Ring of Spell Storing (and only for spell storing) I would rule it is OK. For Thanee's scenario of crafting magic items, I would apply different rules.

First off, my thinking for the above approval: Since you can only use a sudden metamagic feat once per day, the overpowering is really due to the fact I'm allowing you to start off with the ring (or whatever) fully charged. What's the worse case scenario for AmorFati's Screech? He has a Ring of Minor Spell Storing, which has three levels of spells, and a spear of spell storing, which also has three levels. So, he could cast, at worse, two Sudden Empowered, Sudden Maximize, Sudden Quicken, Sudden Widen fireballs into the items. What results is a fireball that does 6 points of damage/level with a range of 800 ft + 80 ft/level and a radius of 40 ft and is cast as a free action.

So, let's say, following the worse case scenario, it's your first fight. And over the course of it, Screech uses up both fireballs. He can only refill up one of the two items again, and that's assuming he hasn't already made use of the sudden feats already for his traditional spells. If he has, he has to wait two days to refill those items up, which means he can't apply the feat to his normal castings in those two days.

For crafting items, it's too powerful. With one casting, he'd be able to create a wand of Empowered, Maximized, Quickened, Widened fireballs w/ 50 charges? As a cost of a 3rd level spell? That's insane. I'd either say a) the process if creating a scroll, wand, etc. is to delicate to allow a sudden spell to be cast into the item or b) the level of the spell is modified per the non-sudden version of the metamagic feat, noting that the spell level caps for scrolls, wands, etc. still need to be followed. The more I think about it, the more I favor (a).

So, for spell storing, or for use with the spell imbue with spell ability, then yes it's allowed. For use in any sort of craft, then no.

FYI: I can't believe how vague some of the info is on crafting and metamagic feats. There should be something on all of this in Complete Arcane (or at least the errata).

Bront

The man with the probe
Harvey said:
First off, only fair to say I will accept two alternate characters per person... though both of yours, Bront, are good :)

As for spells, someone else asked me about this off-line, so here's my clarification: spells are available for sale at the Legion main library. Spells are for sale at a rate of 50gp x the level of the spell (like in the PHB pg. 179). I am going to say that, due to popular request, the legion has provided some sort of wondrous item/minor artifact that serves as a copy station. This station gives a +20 enhancement bonus to Spellcrat checks for the explicit purpose of copying spells. Thus, unless it is a significantly high level spell, you won't need to roll a spellcraft check.

As for the 100gp/page price, I do not like it either. So you will not have to pay that price. Though keep in mind the 1 page per level rule is in effect, and can dictate how many spells can fit in a spellbook. But also keep in mind that the Legion has access to a lot of resources, so you can purchase a Boccob's Blessed Book (which is still 1,000 pages and 1 lb) or an Aureon's Spellshard from Eberron.
So only 2 total proposals, or 3 total (1 primary and 2 alternates?). I have the rogue guy sorta drawn up, and he's looking quite fun. I'll see where he leads, maybe he'll replace one of my proposals, maybe not. Honestly, I'm open to either one I've built so far, and Force filles a blaster, healer, and summoner role fairly well.

Thanks for clairifying on the spells. The only note is that the cost of the magic items that ive you lots of pages (Like the spell shart or the blessed book) is also built around the fact that they allow you to not pay the 100 gp per page, so are those books a bit cheaper then due to that? (Particuarly when weight isn't much of an issue with all the carrying capacity and such). Maybe when purchased from the Legion, you get 10% of the pages filled for free (which is a 5000 or 2500 gp savings on those two books, but considering it would normaly be twice that to scribe that you'd be saving (100 gp per spell level, instead of 50), and you'd be saving it for the entire book (Up to 100,000 or 50,000 in savings normaly) it doesn't seem too unreasonable). Just a thought.

Remove ads