[Players Chosen] Do You Have What It Takes To Join The Nameless Legion?

Bront

The man with the probe
This sounds interesting. I'm going to poke around some sources and see what I can come up with as a character.

I see that Favor in House is not a vialble feat, does that mean that the Dragonmark Heir is not a viable PrC since it's a req? or is there a feat we could use to replace it? (Not sure I'm interested in that PrC, but I am considering it.)

I might look at making a Warmind of some kind (Either a Fighter/Warmind, Psi-War/Warmind, or maybe even Fighter/Psi-War/Warmind). Who knows though, There were a few interesting concepts and races out there I could be interested in. The other thought is a Swashbuckler/Rogue/Dread Pirate/Dualist (Or something along those lines) which could be fun. Perhaps in his former life he was a pirate for hire and was recruited to sail a ship for the The Crashing Waves (Hey, sometimes it helps to have a naval base of opps). Getting into Dread Pirate technicaly requires you to own a ship, but he may have owned one in his former life. He'd probably be true neutral (Some chaotic tendancies, but generaly lawful and a good leader) Maybe replace Rogue with Bard or Marshial to augment his leadership abilities a bit.

Someone

Adventurer
With so many fighters, you´d need someone to do the old fashioned blasting, so I´m gravitating towards a psion (kineticist), though if you allow the updated Constructor prestige class from WotC´s Mind´s eye (I can post it here), I could try a Shaper/Constructor.

Edit: Re-reading again the first post, seems that you don´t mention the XPH, but since you specifically mentioned the thri-kreen from there and the nameless legion includes a cadre composed of psions and psionic ceatures, I somehow supposed the book was allowed in. If it´s not, I could try something different, like a favored soul instead.

Last edited:

Albedo

First Post
I'm gonna go for something more delicate than a fighter. I'm gonna make a sniper. He will be a Horizon Walker, with a light smattering of some other classes.

Harvey

First Post
Very cool! A ton of ideas! I like... I like...

AmorFati said:
Harvey: Do we post the character here for your approval/juding?

Yup. This will work fine.

Isida Kep'Tukari said:
Whichever one fits (if either do) I'd like to play.

They both do... which I'm sure is making the choice tougher. Both characters have merit. Both seem to best fit the Shield Breakers. The urdinnir has some great benefits with the stone manipulation abilities, but the lumi looks a heck of a lot more exotic, which is the feel I was envisioning for the Legion. Feel free to continue working on both... I would be willing to take whichever best fits the lance.

tyrlaan said:
OKay, I have two different ideas I'm working on. The first is probably more acceptable, but I'd be content getting a chance to play either one...

Gyre is a great character concept. While Wax would make an excellent choice for the Nameless Legion to recruit, I could see them using Wax in better ways than I envision running the camapign. Not only does the Legion fight as lances, they also loan themselves out as armies. I can envision Wax as a part of the Blood Feasters that has his own Karrnathi-like army.

I'd say flesh out Gyre over Wax...

Bront said:
I see that Favor in House is not a vialble feat, does that mean that the Dragonmark Heir is not a viable PrC since it's a req? or is there a feat we could use to replace it? (Not sure I'm interested in that PrC, but I am considering it.)

Hmmm... I'd have to not allow the Dragonmark Heir. It is too Eberron-centric. Abilities like House Status and Additional Action Points would be useless to a Legionnaire.

Which brings up a good point for clarification: Characters would not get certain campaign world-specific benefits in this campaign. Because it revolves around a common thread, in order to make things fair to all players, the rules will be grounded in standard 3.5 rules structure. So, things like Action Points from Eberron or Regional Bonus Equipment from FR are not allowed.

Bront said:
I might look at making a Warmind of some kind (Either a Fighter/Warmind, Psi-War/Warmind, or maybe even Fighter/Psi-War/Warmind). Who knows though, There were a few interesting concepts and races out there I could be interested in. The other thought is a Swashbuckler/Rogue/Dread Pirate/Dualist (Or something along those lines) which could be fun. Perhaps in his former life he was a pirate for hire and was recruited to sail a ship for the The Crashing Waves (Hey, sometimes it helps to have a naval base of opps). Getting into Dread Pirate technicaly requires you to own a ship, but he may have owned one in his former life. He'd probably be true neutral (Some chaotic tendancies, but generaly lawful and a good leader) Maybe replace Rogue with Bard or Marshial to augment his leadership abilities a bit.

All good ideas. A psionicist of some sore would be an obvious benefit. I'd have to deny the Dread Pirate for the same reason I'd deny tyrlaan's necromancer: while it would be advantageous for the Legion to have one, it'd be to command an assault ship on the high seas, not be part of a 4-man lance. I'd allow it if you got enough people to steer me to running a naval campaign ;)

Another clarification: because of the nature of the Legion, I'm not going to allow the Leadership feat at character creation. It doesn't make much sense in the militaristic nature of the legion. While you are all expert fighters, you are not of high enough ranks to have underlings. I might be able to be convinced to allow getting it in-game as you level up, so long as you make a good case for it in-game.

Someone said:
With so many fighters, you´d need someone to do the old fashioned blasting, so I´m gravitating towards a psion (kineticist), though if you allow the updated Constructor prestige class from WotC´s Mind´s eye (I can post it here), I could try a Shaper/Constructor.

Can you post? It sounds interesting...

Someone said:
Edit: Re-reading again the first post, seems that you don´t mention the XPH, but since you specifically mentioned the thri-kreen from there and the nameless legion includes a cadre composed of psions and psionic ceatures, I somehow supposed the book was allowed in. If it´s not, I could try something different, like a favored soul instead.

An oversight on my part, so I will add a clarification: the books mentioned above are definitely not the end-all and be-all of books to choose from. Expanded Psionics Handbook is allowed, as is almost any WotC 3.5 book, which includes anything from Draconomicon to Libris Mortis. I was just trying to name books off the top of my head. Also, any Dragon Magazine (from #309 on) and Dungeon Magazine (from #100 on) are fair game, so long as they fit the campaign. Other unusual books would include MM3, Planar Handbook (which would be good for this campaign), Book of Exalted Deeds, heck even the Dragonlance Campaign Setting book would be allowable. My goal is to build a truly eclectic group...

Harvey

First Post
devrimk said:
Can I use Champion of Corellon prestige class from Races of the Wild?

Sure, looks fine. My concept with deities is that you would continue to worship your deity, even in spite of the mindwipe, due to divine intervention. (For instance, Corellon Larethian knows you still serve his needs, regardless of what state your memory is in, so he would continue to shine his blessings upon you). The only ones that might be tricky in this regard are deities that have memory in their portfolio, though I can't think of any off the top of my head...

Albedo said:
I'm gonna go for something more delicate than a fighter. I'm gonna make a sniper. He will be a Horizon Walker, with a light smattering of some other classes.

Horizon Walker is an excellent choice. If I was playing this game, it would be my first choice of a PrC.

AmorFati

First Post
Pulp, Male Centaur Ranger 6

Alignment: Neutral
Size: Large
Type: Monsterous Humanoid
Speed: 60 ft.
Space: 10 ft.
Reach: 5 ft.

STR: 28 (+9) [10pts + 8racial + 2level + 4enchantment]
DEX: 20 (+5) [6pts + 4racial + 2enchantment]
CON: 20 (+5) [6pts + 4racial + 2enchantment]
INT: 12 (+1) [6pts - 2racial]
WIS: 14 (+2) [4pts + 2racial]
CHA: 08 (-1) [0pts]

HP: 100 (10d8 + 50con)

AC: 28 (10base + 5dex + 6armor + 5natural + 2deflecion + 1insight - 1size) / 17 / 23

Saves:
Fortitude: 13 (6base + 5con + 2resistance)
Reflex: 16 (9base + 5dex + 2resistance)
Will: 10 (6base + 2wis + 2resistance)

Initiative: +5 (5dex)

Base attack bonus:
+10/+5

Attacks:
Smash: +20 (10base + 9str + 2enchantment - 1size), 2d6+15 (13str + 2enchantment) damage, Threat 19-20/x3
Bow: +15 (10base + 5dex + 1enchantment - 1size), 2d6+7 (6str + 1enchantment) damage, Threat 20/x3, Range 220 ft.
Javelin: +14 (10base + 5dex - 1size), 1d8+9 (9str) damage, Threat 20/x2, Range 30 ft.

Full Attack:
Smash: +18/+13 (10base + 9str + 2enchantment - 2Two-weapon - 1size), 2d6+11 (9str + 2enchantment) damage, Threat 19-20/x3
and: +18/+13 (10base + 9str + 2enchantment - 2Two-weapon - 1size), 2d6+6 (4str + 2enchantment) damage, Threat 19-20/x3

or

Bow: +15/+10 (10base + 5dex + 1enchantment - 1size), 2d6+7 (6str + 1enchantment) damage, Threat 20/x3, Range 220 ft.

Skills:
Skill points: 50
Max Rank for class skills: 13

Knowledge (Nature): 12 (11base + 1int)
Listen: 15 (13base + 2wis)
Spot: 15 (13base + 2wis)
Survival: 15 (13base + 2wis)

Feats:
Lvl 1 - Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Double Hammer): Can use Double Hammer without penalties
Lvl 3 - Power Attack: Trade attack bonus for damage bonus, up to base attack bonus
Bonus Ranger - Track: Use Survival to track
Bonus Ranger - Two-Weapon Fighting: Reduce penalties when fighting with two weapons by 2
Lvl 6 - Cleave: Extra Melee attack after killing opponent
Bonus Ranger - Endurance: +4 bonus to resist non-lethal damage
Lvl 9 - Improved Critical (Double Hammer): Doubles Threat Range on Double Hammers
Bonus Ranger - Improved Two-Weapon Fighting: Gains a second off-hand attack

Languages:
Sylvan
Elven
Common

Equipment:
Smash: +2 Double Hammer of Magebane, 18,740gp
+1 Composite Longbow (+6str) of Distance, 9,000gp
60 Arrows, 3gp
Javelins x18, 36gp
+2 Mithral Chain Shirt, 5,200gp

Belt of Giant Strength +4, 16,000gp
Amulet of Health +2, 4,000gp
Gloves of Dexterity +2, 4,000gp
Cloak of Resistance +2, 4,000gp
Ring of Protection +2, 8,000gp

Clear Ioun Stone, 3,000gp
Dusty Rose Ioun Stone, 4,000gp
Quiver of Ehlonna, 1,800gp
Tattoo of Steel, 16,000gp
Tattoo of Amity, free!

Mundane items, like flint & steel, torches, ropes etc, 100gp
5,000 in different gemstones

1,121, mostly in platina and some gold

Race:
Darkvision 60 ft.

Class:
Ranger:
Favored enemy1: Monsterous Humanoids. Gain +4 on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot and Survival, as well as +4 damage.
Favored enemy2: Fey: Gain +2 on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot and Survival, as well as +2 damage.
Track: Gains Track as bonus feat
Wild Empathy: Works as Diplomacy, only with Animals
Combat Style: Choose either Two-Weapon Combat or Archery
Animal Companion: Hawk
Fast Movement: Improves base land speed by 10 ft.

Proficiencies:
Light Weapons
Martial Weapons
Light Armor
Shields (Not Tower)

Info:
Pulp is ugly. Damn ugly. However, who cares about that, when you're about to be smashed by a almost 7 feet tall, 2000 pounds heavy mass of destruction...
Well, yes, he is ugly. However, his personality makes up for that; He is friendly, out-spoken, good-hearted, yeah, pretty much the jolly guy next-doors. That is, if you don't make him angry. You'd better not, cause when you do, he takes out Smash, his nasty twoheaded hammer. Oh, and if you are far away, you're probably dead before he is able to show you Smash. No worries there, then.

His fur looks black, but on closer inspection it is dark brown. His human-ish form is well-built, a result of all the hours training. Darkskinned, with almost black hair, and chocolate brown eyes. His face is heavy-set, scarred, and pretty much messed up. He choose to blame it on all the battles he's been through, he wasn't born that ugly, no way.
A big warhammer can be seen on his back. Upon closer inspection you can see that it is a double hammer, sporting a head on each end. Around his waist is slung a dark-brown quiver, decorated with stylished silver-leaves. In his hands he usually carries a Longbow, ready for when he might need it. He wears a Mithral Chain Shirt on his torso, covered by a dark green vest. On his hands he wears a pair of light brown gloves, each decorated with three crimson gems on the back og his hands, the only jewlry you can see. You can see parts of one of the Legions trade-mark tattoos, the tatto of steel, tracking its way down under the gloves.

He was recrtuited only a few years ago, and was quickly placed in The Mounted Nightmare cadre. His skill with a double hammer was exceptional, and he soon participated in missions of great importance. He gained his name after a particular nasty battle with a flight of harpies. After an tight engagement with the flying vixens, the Legions Cadre was slowly gaining the upper hand. The cowardly leader of the harpies tried to escape the fray, only to meet a fast end, seeing as her skull suddenly was in thousand pieces. After seeing their leader fleeing, only to be beaten to a bloddy pulp by a big, scary centaur, the rest of the harpies decided to flee the arrea for good.
The lance gave the centaur the name "BloodPulp", but later shortened it to Pulp.

Pulp has since then become a known face in The Mounted Nightmare cadre.

Last edited:

Harvey

First Post
AmorFati: Looks very cool! Haven't looked him over in detail yet, but did notice that he does not have the Tattoo of Amity. Each player receives for free (and is required) to get the following item:

Tattoo of Amity
This tattoo curves back and forth across a legionnaire's face and makes him better able to interact with commoners and others he meets while on assignment, granting him a +2 morale bonus to Diplomacy and Intimidate checks.
Market Price: 640 gp; Weight: --.

This is your "badge of office" in the Nameless Legion.

AmorFati

First Post
Harvey said:
AmorFati: Looks very cool! Haven't looked him over in detail yet, but did notice that he does not have the Tattoo of Amity. Each player receives for free (and is required) to get the following item:

Tattoo of Amity....

*Brings out his oars* Well, he does, I only forgot to add it... :uhoh:

Thanee

First Post
Here's another concept (Gloura Bard :) -- Gloura are from the Underdark sourcebook). Not quite finished yet, I'm still pondering what kind of weapon would work well (there isn't a feat, that adds Dex to damage out there, I suppose ;)), probably a shortbow, rapier or whip. As should be somewhat obvious, she is heading for the Sublime Chord PrC (CA). Pretty powerful defensively, but offensively rather weak. Oh, I took the liberty to count Knowledge (arcana) and Spellcraft as gloura class skills, considering they have full spellcasting progression for their racial hit dice.

[SBLOCK]Character Sheet[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Remove ads