What are some more obscure character options, that you can give to your pc's in 3e dnd.

MrKD1230

First Post
Obviously there is races, classes, templates, feats and prestige classes, but what are some more less known things that you can apply to your characters i.e, Grafts, Symbiotes or psychoactive skins. Or things more akin to the Supernatural gifts from 5th edition

Probably my favourite "obscure" race (it's not really that obscure, it's in the MMI, I just hardly ever see them in use) is the Aranea.

Lupins (Dragon Compendium) are cool. They're LA+0 Monstrous Humanoids and have Ride as a class skill for all classes

One of my very favorite feats is Fell Conspiracy in Exemplars of Evil. Great party-wide benefits for very reasonable costs.

Feat: Hardened Criminal from City of Stormreach (how's that for obscure). Gain Skill Mastery in a single skill, and immunity to intimidate to boot.

An obscure item I really like is the Rod of Ropes (Complete Scoundrel). Costs 4000 gold, and you can use it as an extendable rope up to 300ft, a rope with a grappling hook that you can use to hook onto things or people, or a rope with a sliding tool on it.

Spell: Shark bolt. Imagine scorching ray, except instead of flame rays, it's sharks. How cool is that.

Item: Amber amulet of vermin. These things are wildly underpriced for their effect. Only 700 gp to drop a massive scorpion on your enemies' heads? A bargain.

Prestige class: Urban savant. Easy to get into

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
The 3.0 DMG has a sidebar on creating 1st level multiclass characters. It didn't make the cut for 3.5 and hasn't been seen since, but I really miss multiclass characters that felt like a combination of the two classes from the start and not just a mix and match.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Define obscure. Spell to power Erudite? Psionic Artificer? Bloodlines? Arcanum? Binders? Scions of Tem-Et-Nu?

MrKD1230

First Post
Scions of Tem-Et-Nu
I'm very confused on why you added this, as this is a prestige class, that I have mentioned above. I have got complete lists of races, classes, prestige classes and templates, but was just wondering about other options that characters can have

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If you’re looking for obscure mechanical options, I think this thread has pretty much covered the bases.

Now, within those categories, there’s all kinds of options that definitely are less commonly used than others.

I'm very confused on why you added this,
He was asking, effectively, 'how obscure is obscure?' and providing examples you could respond to as rough guideposts for people to use. Within that context, it makes more sense to use something you do know than something you don't, and since the Original Post is asking for things you do not know about, using direct answers to the OP question as guideposts would not make sense. Or they did not interpret the OP as you intended.

Anyways, my suggestion would be a Kaorti Resin weapon. I'm calling a character option rather than just treasure since you need to take an Exotic Weapon Proficiency* to utilize it, meaning you are going down a distinct character build path rather than just picking up and using. It's listed in the Fiend Folio under the monsters of the same name -- monsters without ECL (thus obscure if someone has been looking at the standard races/classes/templates/PrCs). It's not something you apply to an existing weapon, nor something that can be melted down and forged into a new weapon, giving the DM some control over how powerful the end result ends up being**. Likewise, there is an adventure to be had in acquiring it, as well as follow-up adventures if the kaorti try to take it back, bringing it to another place makes people fear you are setting the stage for a far-realm invasion, etc. In exchange, it's a nice benefit to a melee combatant. The downside is that, outside of the story hook options, it doesn't actually do anything/give the PCs an ability they otherwise wouldn't have, etc.
*or be an Exotic Weapon Master, get the thing enchanted with the 'skilled' magic weapon enchantment, etc.
**although once they can enchant magic weapons, expect them to add morphing, transmuting, and keen, so they can turn it into a kukri/scimitar/falchion to get that lovely lovely 15-20/x4 crit that isn't hamstrung by DR #/adamantium, silver, or cold iron

Remove ads