Cartography software for the Mac?

Shawn_Kehoe

First Post
Hi all,

I'm leaning towards jumping ship to Apple with my next computer purchase, but I don't know how this will affect my plans to get a decent cartography tool for my D&D games. So far, it looks like Fractal Mapper and Campaign Cartographer are Windows only, while Dundjinni is dual platform. Are there any other dual platform or Mac-exclusive packages I should be considering?

Thanks,
Shawn

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
I use a page layout program called Create that's wonderful, but depending on what you want, may not suit your needs. I really just need a graphics program for my maps, but if you want the bells and whistles of integrated map keys and stuff, Dundjinni is pretty much your only bet. Unless the PCGen folks have gotten that sort of functionality into GMGen...

dvvega

Explorer
If you jump ship to Mac and you perchance obtain office you can use Virtual PC. Now of course I tested an old version of CC (6.01) and it worked fine under that.

The biggest "trick" is only give the Virutal PC half the maximum memory it can have.

Apart from that Dundjini looks like it will get better and better.

My biggest concern is that programs like PCGen slow unbelievably on the Apple Java Machine. I don't know what is at fault here, however Dundjinin should be test on your new machine first.

Personally I use photoshop for my stuff. Makes it look more "random"/personalised.

D

Dimwhit

Explorer
dvvega said:
If you jump ship to Mac and you perchance obtain office you can use Virtual PC. Now of course I tested an old version of CC (6.01) and it worked fine under that.

Have you run VirtualPC recently? We just bought it at work and installed it on a G4/1.5Ghz machine. It pretty much sucked. Though maybe others have better luck. I guess I just wouldn't count on using it as primary software. Best to find a native app.

Remove ads